Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: Is it possible to play random one off dungeons..... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Yerton
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
If so how is it is it fun and how random is it ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt M
United States
NoVA
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes there are random dungeon cards to generate rooms and which monster s.

Its not as fun as the campaign imo but still good.
Tulsatom wrote:
If so how is it is it fun and how random is it ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Threadgill
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game comes with a couple of decks of cards that generate random dungeons room by room, not unlike the 1st edition of Descent: Road to Legend.

You won't be unlocking anything new, but if you just want a quick dungeon crawl it works well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Mathews
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it is possible. No, I wouldn't recommend it unless you have a leveled character and some time in the game. The random dungeons are hard and unforgiving. Not really for the beginner. I would recommend the KS scenarios for balanced scenarios that don't spoil the campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Yerton
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Is there a potential for creating scenarios?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt M
United States
NoVA
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Issac released all content for the game in the form of a creators pack - so yes you can create scenarios of your own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hatfield
United States
Mt. Vernon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's possible to pay for a round of golf at Pebble Beach and just play 1 hole. But why would you want to?

Less snarky answer is that this game was designed and developed as a campaign experience, and a massive one at that. The random dungeons, while not exactly an afterthought, are more of a bonus and additional content to help level campaign characters or provide a change of pace breather from the campaign. If you have no interest in a long, progressive campaign, then you will be paying for a heckuva lot of content that you will never use.

I'd recommend checking out the D&D line of boardgames if you mostly want one-off dungeon delves. Those have a nice variety of scenarios without the baggage of having to play them as a campaign, and you can probably get 3 of them for less than Gloomhaven price of admission.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Yerton
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Sounds like this will be a good game as far as having a solid campaign and then a very good random generator when you wanna shake things up a little.

Those D and D board games are BORING and I bet I would have to buy all what five of them now to match the amount of content in gloom which equals way more money then gloom.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gert van Bruggen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hooliganj wrote:
The game comes with a couple of decks of cards that generate random dungeons room by room, not unlike the 1st edition of Descent: Road to Legend.

You won't be unlocking anything new, but if you just want a quick dungeon crawl it works well.

If u do the random dungeons
U keep your earned XP and Loot even if u fail right?
And if u succeed do u then also get the Bonus Experience like in a campaign and Gold conversion?
Or is that only if u play the Campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you keep earned experience, money, and loot even if you fail. The random dungeons aren't part of a campaign, so you don't get anything specific to campaign scenarios. This means you don't get bonus XP for scenario completion. You gain bonus XP if you win. You get to convert money tokens to gold at whatever conversion level you're on. You can also get check marks from Battle Goals and make progress toward Personal Quests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gert van Bruggen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
Yes, you keep earned experience, money, and loot even if you fail. The random dungeons aren't part of a campaign, so you don't get anything specific to campaign scenarios. This means you don't get bonus XP for scenario completion. You do get to convert money tokens to gold at whatever conversion level you're on. You can also get check marks from Battle Goals and make progress toward Personal Quests.

oke thx

But are u sure about the Check Marks from battle goals those u normally draw at the start of every campaign mission and u have to fulfill it within the mission or am i wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Gloomhaven Rule Book, Page 50, Game Variant: Random Dungeon Deck wrote:
Instead of playing through a scenario from the Scenario Book, players always have the option to play through a random dungeon instead. Random dungeons will not progress the campaign in any way, but they can be used to gain additional experience, money, checkmarks, and personal quest progress for characters.

Emphasis mine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Threadgill
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
Yes, you keep earned experience, money, and loot even if you fail. The random dungeons aren't part of a campaign, so you don't get anything specific to campaign scenarios. This means you don't get bonus XP for scenario completion. You do get to convert money tokens to gold at whatever conversion level you're on. You can also get check marks from Battle Goals and make progress toward Personal Quests.

Was there a ruling about the bonus XP? Because the rule book is pretty clear. On page 33, the only rewards that are tied to campaign progress are the reward boxes from the scenario book.

End of scenario, win or lose: Earned XP, gold, loot.
End of scenario, win only: Battle goal checkmarks, bonus XP.
End of campaign scenario, win only: Scenario rewards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, I think you're right about that. I had in my head that the bonus experience for completing a scenario was a scenario reward, but it's not. Original post amended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gert van Bruggen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW i am talking about the Random Dungeon Deck
Those are not called scenario's like from the scenario book Read page(50).
I think i only Earn XP and Money but not sure if u convert the money

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
See four posts up. You can earn XP, money, checkmarks, and personal quest progress from Random Dungeon Deck scenarios. It says so right there on Page 50.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.