14 Posts

Nemesis» Forums » General

Subject: Gameplay style of Nemesis? Less fighting more running? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ford Lee
Australia
flag msg tools
I'm trying to visualise what a playthrough would be like and being relatively new to these type of boardgames and only liking this because I've always loved a good top down or fps Co-op survival horror Pc Game,

Hopefully someone could help me settle my mind on whether this game would satisfy the above.

From the various video playthroughs it seems to me this game has little fighting and Alien overwhelming but more trying to run from the fight, making low noise and running from other players as they all have conflicting goals?

Is that a correct way to look at this game?

I thought it will be more like that Pc Game Alien Shooter where you are all on the same team fighting masses of aliens who try to overrun you whilst picking up multiple type guns and equipment and trying to make it across the play board to find an escape..

Not sure if such a board game style exist...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fordlee wrote:
I'm trying to visualise what a playthrough would be like and being relatively new to these type of boardgames and only liking this because I've always loved a good top down or fps Co-op survival horror Pc Game,

Hopefully someone could help me settle my mind on whether this game would satisfy the above.

From the various video playthroughs it seems to me this game has little fighting and Alien overwhelming but more trying to run from the fight, making low noise and running from other players as they all have conflicting goals?

Is that a correct way to look at this game?

I thought it will be more like that Pc Game Alien Shooter where you are all on the same team fighting masses of aliens who try to overrun you whilst picking up multiple type guns and equipment and trying to make it across the play board to find an escape..

Based on what we've seen, it really looks like the aliens are too strong to fight off. So, the main gameplay is about avoiding them unless you can't. Whether you're working together and trust the crew is going to be part of the gameplay. Figuring out who to trust seems like it'll also be important to the gameplay.

If you're looking for something tactical that's a team fighting aliens then Level 7 [Omega Protocol] might be closer to what you want. It's currently out of print though, so you might end up playing a bit more for it. Plus, it's not a co-op experience as someone needs to play the aliens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Ammo is scarce, Aliens (especially Queen and Breeder) are REALLY strong.

So it's not safe bug hunt route at all.

There are research and equipement meta that could make handling them more manageable but takes time and a lil luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Ardianto
Indonesia
DKI Jakarta - Jakarta Utara
flag msg tools
badge
https://www.facebook.com/gopopnow
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's a good thing (at least for me). I've been waiting this kind of game, following the hit of Panic Station (yes it has awful rules and some say it's broken), the ever-growing paranoia sci-fi game where you always wondering the person next to you is infected or not.
I was hoping DDD and Dark Moon would take a stand. Played Dark Moon and though it might be OK, the truth is it couldn't beat Panic Station.
There are many games out there where you can beat or fight off the enemy head on, this one is not a fighting game, you are playing a losing battle (check out Aliens) and what you need to do is survive!

So I hope this could be the one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guilhem Bedos
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fordlee wrote:
[...]

Since you ask: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1788789/wip-star-troope...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian Bohlmann
Germany
Hamburg
Deutschland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To the OP: I can recommend Project Elite to you. It's a cooperative game in which you fight against a horde of Aliens. And you have to do this in real time.
Another good game is Aliens vs. Predator from Prodos. But this is not cooperative. The mood is great and the miniatures are spectacular.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's survival horror, not Shoot Em Up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More Alien less Starship Troopers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil C
Wales
North Wales
flag msg tools
mbmb
Although a Starship Troopers game would be amazing

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Stiles
United States
Brandon
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
philjc wrote:

Maybe, maybe not?
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/15435/starship-troopers-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil C
Wales
North Wales
flag msg tools
mbmb
SaintHax wrote:
philjc wrote:

Maybe, maybe not?

Well that showed me laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want a Kickstarter space shoot-em-up check out Darkness Sabotage. A great deal of that game is weapons and upgrades and a nice array of enemy targets. I'm backing that one and getting many expansions. I look forward to it.

Nemesis impresses me as more of a thinking and planning game, and now that they want to add the "comic" mechanic, it shows that they mean this to be narrative, exploration, resources use, and bluffing, with teamwork in it. Not a shoot-em up or really a runner beat-the-clock game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james herbby
msg tools
asgorn wrote:
More Alien less Starship Troopers
That explains the Xenomorph on the box art. XP

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Eklund
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TwoDeeSix wrote:

Nemesis impresses me as more of a thinking and planning game, and now that they want to add the "comic" mechanic, it shows that they mean this to be narrative, exploration, resources use, and bluffing, with teamwork in it. Not a shoot-em up or really a runner beat-the-clock game.

Yes, I watched the gameplay video and I think it's exactly that. As that is a kind of game that I'm really not into, I cancelled my pledge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.