Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
MacDouglass Kinnick
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Hee Haw!
mbmbmbmbmb
I was saddened and disappointed when, last Friday, it was announced that Vincent Dutrait was going to be scaling back his involvement on this project due to personal and family reasons. I support whatever decision Vincent needs to make and wish him the best, but I also want him, and the rest of the Museum project team, to know just how integral his contributions to the project were in my decision to back this KS project.

Vincent's artwork and how it stands out front and center in this game, as well as the sheer quantity of it, is what initially drew me in. And as the SGs kept rolling in during the KS campaign, all with the promise of additional Dutrait masterpieces, I was even more on fire to support this game to the fullest. So when news broke last week that Vincent would be scaling back on this project, I was quite saddened. If it wasn't for the significant mark he already made on a majority of the main game's artwork, this news would have likely caused me to decide to pull my pledge. I'm not saying that I don't think the game play is worthy in and of itself, but, for me, it was the vibrant presentation of the game through Vincent's talented hand that sealed the deal in my decision to back. Although I still think the end product will be a fun game with a coherent look, I think that Vincent's departure will, unfortunately, move the needle from what could have been an epic game plus expansions to just another great game amongst many in this board game Renaissance we're in.

These are my feelings, but I would certainly like to hear what others think about this news, and I was hoping the following poll might provide Vincent and the project team some data that, hope against hope, might possibly influence Vincent's decision to scale back on this project versus some other project that he has on his plate, as well as the project team's decision to find a replacement artist/illustrator instead of doing whatever it takes to keep Dutrait on board.

Poll
1. On a 1 to 5 scale, with 1 being not very significant and 5 being very significant, how significant were Vincent Dutrait's art contributions in your decision to back this project?
1 - not very significant
3 - neither significant nor unsignificant
5 - very significant
2. How much additional money would you be willing to pledge if given the choice to do so in order to retain Vincent Dutrait on this project?
0$
1$ to 10$
11$ to 20$
21$ to 30$
31$ to 40$
41$ to 50$
greater than 50$
3. How much additional time would you be willing to wait for delivery of this project in order to retain Vincent Dutrait on the project?
0 months
from 1 month up to 2 months
from 2 months up to 3 months
from 3 months up to 4 months
from 4 months up to 5 months
from 5 months up to 6 months
from 6 months up to a year
greater than a year
4. Have you considered pulling your pledge due to the news that Vincent Dutrait will be scaling back on this project?
Yes
No
Maybe/Undecided
      115 answers
Poll created by MacDouglass
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Yates
United States
Pekin
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is a nice post and I'm certain he will be flattered but at the same time if he has decided to scale back due to personal reasons we should probably let it be. It could be something serious with his family and I would hate for anything to distract him from where he really needs to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Gabbert
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
According to the announcement, the only parts not being illustrated by Vincent Dutrait are the Events and Notoriety cards, but he will be overseeing the art even for those.

For the Black Market expansion (which I did not order), he will be sharing the load with a second artist, which was already the case with the Cthulhu Relics expansion.

So for me, it's no biggie. YMMV

This situation reminds me a bit of Ryan Laukat's new game, Empires of the Void II. He usually does all the art for his games, but there was so much of it for EotVII, that he had to bring on a second artist to help him out. Having just received and unboxed the game this week, I can tell you that the end result did not suffer for it.

Historical note: Even famous paintings and frescos by celebrated masters were often partially filled in by their apprentices and today's art historians are not always able to tell where exactly the master left off and an apprentice took over. (See also: Second unit directors/cinematographers in film.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Dutrait
South Korea
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Hello!

Thanks for your attentions and the poll is flattering and comforting
I'm writing now a message for our backers on KS. May I copy here the message for our Museum community? :

All of my thanks for your support and kind messages, it means a lot to me. Please don’t worry too much, I have no intention of vanishing from the project. As explained during the last project update, I will still be fully involved in the final stages of illustrating Museum. Anything that I don’t do myself will still be under my supervision, and once all of the work is done I will ensure that everything is coherent and cohesive.

These changes only concern a few “minor” elements of the base game and some parts of some of the expansions. I know that some of you are concerned about this, but I see it as an opportunity to make Museum even more artistically interesting! Having some input from other artists can only make the game even better, more varied, more original, more creative, much like the work I’m doing with Loïc Muzy for the Relics of Cthulu expansion.

It’s a difficult time for me now, but I’m completely confident that we can make something great out of a bad situation. Thank you again for all your support and trust!

Such things simply happen...Hoping that could reassure you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MacDouglass Kinnick
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Hee Haw!
mbmbmbmbmb
vdutrait wrote:
Hello!

Thanks for your attentions and the poll is flattering and comforting
I'm writing now a message for our backers on KS. May I copy here the message for our Museum community? :

All of my thanks for your support and kind messages, it means a lot to me. Please don’t worry too much, I have no intention of vanishing from the project. As explained during the last project update, I will still be fully involved in the final stages of illustrating Museum. Anything that I don’t do myself will still be under my supervision, and once all of the work is done I will ensure that everything is coherent and cohesive.

These changes only concern a few “minor” elements of the base game and some parts of some of the expansions. I know that some of you are concerned about this, but I see it as an opportunity to make Museum even more artistically interesting! Having some input from other artists can only make the game even better, more varied, more original, more creative, much like the work I’m doing with Loïc Muzy for the Relics of Cthulu expansion.

It’s a difficult time for me now, but I’m completely confident that we can make something great out of a bad situation. Thank you again for all your support and trust!

Such things simply happen...Hoping that could reassure you.

Thanks Vincent. All the best to you and yours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Van Roy
Belgium
Sint-Katelijne-Waver
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think we all need to consider that this is only a hobby and some things are much more important than having a beautiful game on our shelves... (my opinion of course)
All the best Vincent!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dag Roth
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, Vincent, that you take a moment to answer here. It's highly appreciated and I wish you all the best. There are definatly more important things in life than work (in your case) or hobbies (in ours) and I agree that sometimes a second or third person's contribution might even spice things up a bit.

I'm still highly looking forward to the day that Museum arrives on my doorstep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Crane
United Kingdom
Sandbach
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Vincent for the reply

Although I didn't back the KS entirely just because of you, your name did mean a lot and was the deciding factor in pledging for the game

All the best and I hope things get easier for you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vaughn Williams
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you so much for your message, Vincent. I totally understand that your family needs to come first. I sincerely hope that this difficult situation will soon improve. In the meantime, may you have much love and support from friends and family to help you get through this period.

Thank you for all that you have been able to do on this project. Your work is outstanding. It will add greatly to the beauty and success of this game. I am eagerly looking forward to receiving my copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.