Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan
United States
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all, really considering dropping the money required to pick up the 1.5 edition of this beast, my question is simple but will determine if i go through with the purchase.

The base game comes with a decent amount of content and monsters to hunt, however the availability of the expansion hunts is almost non-existent. So my question is; are these expansion hunts something that is required to maintain the freshness of the game? I mean does the base set run dry quickly? Having to hunt and rebuilt the same monsters.

And if the expansions do infact add a huge amount of value, is there any word on if/when they are going to come back in stock?

Thanks in advance for the time to respond and hopefully answer this question, some details would be most appreciated.

Small side question: how do you build the miniatures? Like plastic glue or what?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Wendling
United States
Charlottesville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
White lion will end up becoming repetitive, making Gorm a nice addition (though it does come with some downsides).

Everything you need to know about the current expansions has been listed here. It will be more in-depth analysis than any individual comments anyone will leave here.

As of the November update of the 1.5 KS, Wave 2 (current expansions) are on track for the end of February. Expect to see them back in stock some time after that.

It's hard to say anything about the new expansions in development as they haven't been released yet, though Frogdog is another early game huntable monster that can add some additional variety. We don't know the quality of it as of yet.

Assuming you're using the plastic sprues and not the resin first runs, you'll want plastic cement. I recommend the Tamiya plastic cement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
My group put well over 40 hours of gameplay into the base game alone. I was so burned out with the game by the time we were done, I sold everything I had from the first Kickstarter and just kept the base game. Trust me, there is a lot of gameplay in that box!

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoxe
msg tools
I've had worse.
badge
It's just a flesh wound.
mbmbmbmbmb
GusSquared wrote:
Assuming you're using the plastic sprues and not the resin first runs, you'll want plastic cement. I recommend the Tamiya plastic cement.

Another vote for Tamiya Plastic Cement.

I also recommend these very affordable flush cutters from Amazon.

Also, go HERE for a 3rd party campaign node chart; gives a good visual representation of old and new content if you're considering expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh McDermott
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get the core 1.5 only.. to start with..devil

You and your friends (unless solo, which is awesome too) will play the tutorial together and new stuff will be spoon fed to you during the 1st campaign. My group really liked playing just the core campaign without expansions for the 1st campaign and 2 human years later still like it. I still like it on its own as well; the core box is still fresh to me.

I bought somebody's 1st kick starter all-in pledge that had all expansions. To this day I haven't played 4 of the 12. and 6 of the 12 only once. Crazy amount of content in the core game. Doesn't get stale hunting the same White Lion unless you farm level 1 for half the campaign.

The 12 old expansions are worth the retail asking price, easy. I expect around May the 2nd kick starter bakcers will be fulfilled on their 12 old expansions. The kingdom death monster store should have copies for you then.

Summary: Get the Core game right meow. Order yourself some some miniature assembly tools from amazon. Build the White lion and 4 starting survivors then call your friends. Start a secret solo campaign too. Get notified when the old 12 expansions plan on hitting the store. http://kingdom-death.us1.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=1f4d6d8...

Specific miniature assembly tools:
1. Plastic Sprue clippers
https://www.amazon.com/Xuron-2175ET-Professional-Sprue-Cutte...
2. Plastic cement (a lot of people prefer extra thin, but the dry time is too fast in my opinion)
https://www.amazon.com/Tamiya-TAM87012-Plastic-Cement-20ml/d...
3. Tweezers - any really will work. I use these to apply pressure on hard to reach glued pieces and hands.
4. Mold line remover - if you're interested in painting these later then do yourself a favor and clean the mold lines off while assembling.
https://www.amazon.com/Games-Workshop-66-65-Citadel-Mouldlin...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the good info here guys! I am not gonna lie, the assembly portion of this seems so intimidating to me. Looking at the sprues with all the little pieces, I just sold a few copies of Gloomhaven, and am thinking this will quench the co-op challenge that my play group has been looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Expansions aren't strictly necessary, as there are a lot of levers a "standard" campaign can pull to create variety on top of the inherent variety from random events and card mixes. But a lot of them are compelling, and it's nice to see something different on the tabletop.

There hasn't been an official announcement for Expansion availabilty, mostly because Adam has learned not to create expectations that might not be met, so he tells people things when he is ready. I figure that expansions will be generally available in May.

The miniatures assemble as a regular plastic model kit, where the newest content goes together best. You'll need liquid plastic cement (Model Master), sprue cutters (Xuron), and a hobby knife (X-acto). Gap-filling putty (Milliput) and some fine sandpaper would be helpful. For painting, spray primer and a selection of acrylic hobby paints (Vallejo) is helpful, along with some decent quality brushes; many like an airbrush (Badger) for smooth, consistent base coats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, to be honest, Adam has always called them "expansion REPRINTS", so it's basically in the name: you expect them to be reprinted and sold through the website.

Since the guy is not allergic to money, I assume this is more than certain, to the degree anyone can be certain of anything.

This is somewhat corroborated by the fact that I think no expansion was completely out of stock in all warehouses when the KS2 was launched, so there was no need to call them "reprints", if it was only a sale and the online shop was just going through its inventory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The core game has a lot of lifespan by itself. You will be able to put 10s (if not 100s) of hours there before you feel the need for more content. I would recommend everyone to stick to the base game and try it before committing more $.

And as the fellow geeks above have said, there will be expansion content available from the KDM shop soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I appreciate all the great responses and it looks like it’s understood across the board that the expansions are going to be stocked sooner then later, at least one more time.

I just placed an order for a new copy of KDM 1.5 from the web store, wonder how long it I’ll take to ship out, it says they are in stock with free expedited shipping.

Can’t wait to get it and dive into this horrificly glorious masterpiece!

Here’s also to hoping that it’s better then Gloomhaven, since that game was a total disappointment imo, how it got rank 1 is beyond me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brady
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mordliss wrote:
I appreciate all the great responses and it looks like it’s understood across the board that the expansions are going to be stocked sooner then later, at least one more time.

I just placed an order for a new copy of KDM 1.5 from the web store, wonder how long it I’ll take to ship out, it says they are in stock with free expedited shipping.

Can’t wait to get it and dive into this horrificly glorious masterpiece!

Here’s also to hoping that it’s better then Gloomhaven, since that game was a total disappointment imo, how it got rank 1 is beyond me.

I placed my order on Jan. 17th, and had it on the 20th. I'm on the East coast...I think it shipped from NYC/Jersey, so depending on where you're at, it'll get there pretty quick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got my tracking number should be here Saturday! It said that it was for 1x Core Game, with Reduced Scale Models... what does that mean?? It was for KDM 1.5

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
They're talking about miniatures, which is stated for classifying the mail type.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Jorgan
msg tools
Mordliss wrote:
Hey all, really considering dropping the money required to pick up the 1.5 edition of this beast, my question is simple but will determine if i go through with the purchase.

The base game comes with a decent amount of content and monsters to hunt, however the availability of the expansion hunts is almost non-existent. So my question is; are these expansion hunts something that is required to maintain the freshness of the game? I mean does the base set run dry quickly? Having to hunt and rebuilt the same monsters.

And if the expansions do infact add a huge amount of value, is there any word on if/when they are going to come back in stock?

Thanks in advance for the time to respond and hopefully answer this question, some details would be most appreciated.

Small side question: how do you build the miniatures? Like plastic glue or what?

The game can get repetitive without expansions, however, this will take at least 5 campaigns.
It takes me about 2-3hrs to get through a lantern year and there are 30 lantern years in a campaign.

While KD isn't a complex game, it requires a lot of tracking e.g. (certain gear, abilities and innovations etc. greatly influence certain events). Getting used to tracking takes practice and the expansions will add more to track, on top of the core game.

Get used to the core game for now, old expansions are coming very soon!

I've had all the old expansions for 2 years and have only gone through about 65% of the content.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The miniatures can be proxied. Since you have experience selling, see about selling off your KDM miniatures to help pay for your hobby!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G G
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
Since you have experience selling, see about selling off your KDM miniatures to help pay for your hobby!

IMO, it's well worth it to sell off the Armor Kits for $120+, and use that money to buy the Gambler's Chest down the line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ve taken the big plung and purchased the $400 entry fee into this game universe, the expansions are at most $150 for the big dragons but most are around $75 which is A very doable cost for me. If I enjoy the core set there’s not question both my wife and I will be willing and able to purchase the remaining expansions that we want.

Thus far I am really interested in the Dragon King, Dung Beetle Knight, Grom, and Spidiculus(spelling?)

Do each of these expansions determine when you can hunt each of these creatures? For example is there a expansion that is determined to be the same level as the initial white lion hunt, so you can hunt both with low end characters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sintec
msg tools
Mordliss wrote:
Do each of these expansions determine when you can hunt each of these creatures? For example is there a expansion that is determined to be the same level as the initial white lion hunt, so you can hunt both with low end characters?

There are 2 main types of expansions. Quarries which you can choose to hunt and nemeses which will turn up at your settlement at specific points on the timeline. In both cases the expansion rule book will have details of when it turns up/becomes available to hunt.

Currently the only expansion which is an equivalent power level to the White Lion is the Gorm. The Frogdog from the new set is at a similar level. Next up is Spidicules which appears at the same time as the Antelope (officially it replaces but for various reasons most people don't do this and have both in the campaign). Most of the rest of the quarries are mid-late game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.