Hide
10 Posts

Raiders of the North Sea» Forums » General

Subject: Would a 6-player base game still be balanced? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Trevor Hilk
msg tools
I recently ordered the expansions that now each come with the ability to expand the player count by one.

My question: If I'm introducing the game to a few people, and would prefer to not use the expansions for their first game, would I still be able to play with 5 or 6 people or would it be too unbalanced?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shem Phillips
New Zealand
Waikanae
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There wouldn't be enough opportunities on the board for all players to get a fair share. We tested five players originally with the base game, but it didn't work well. You may be able to try six players with just Hall of Heroes though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Hilk
msg tools
Thanks for the quick reply. One other question that's kinda unrelated:

I ordered the collector's box which comes with 40 provision tokens, but the base game only has 32. Are we supposed to always use 40 provisions in the game now, or are we supposed to remove 8 of the "extra" wooden ones?

Thanks Shem!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shem Phillips
New Zealand
Waikanae
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The extra 8 are there to help support higher player counts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Hilk
msg tools
Makes sense... thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So has anyone played with 6 players?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Garner
United States
Lutherville
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheEternal792 wrote:
I recently ordered the expansions that now each come with the ability to expand the player count by one.

My question: If I'm introducing the game to a few people, and would prefer to not use the expansions for their first game, would I still be able to play with 5 or 6 people or would it be too unbalanced?

Feeling pretty sure you need both expansions to make it work with 6... could get away with 1 expansion for 5... but as mentioned above, there wouldn't be much to do if you tried to play 6 player with just the base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Garner
United States
Lutherville
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheEternal792 wrote:
Thanks for the quick reply. One other question that's kinda unrelated:

I ordered the collector's box which comes with 40 provision tokens, but the base game only has 32. Are we supposed to always use 40 provisions in the game now, or are we supposed to remove 8 of the "extra" wooden ones?

Thanks Shem!

Hey Shem, where did you find the collector's box? I would love to get my hands on one, the base box is bursting at the seems after I put the expansion stuff in it.

Jim~

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shem Phillips
New Zealand
Waikanae
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will have a very small number available again at www.garphill.com towards the end of April.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Johnson
Australia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
patox wrote:
So has anyone played with 6 players?

Got both expansions on the weekend and played with 6 players using only Hall Of Heroes.

The game went for 90 minutes (which is pretty stellar for anything involving six players), and the final scores had first place ahead by a point, then only four points separating second through fourth place. Our regular games of RotNC are usually pretty tight, so it was great to see this continue with the new game mechanics. Things of note:

- the mead hall-provided quests give all six players another means of obtaining victory points, so no-one is shut out from scoring opportunities.

- one thing I love about this game is the pace, and even though adding two players increases your wait time between turns, the addition of quests means you have to pay attention during your opponent's turns.

- it *is* harder to plan ahead than in the four player game, purely because the board state for your next turn is way less predictable (especially in the village). Even so, the original 4-player experience often required you to give yourself a Plan B in case your rival picked up the wrong worker or went raiding first, and this is no different.

Give six players a try and let us know how it goes for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.