Subject: Similarities and differences from Orcs Must Die rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sam
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
Petersen's previous coop game, Orcs Must Die, didn't do it for me. How similar/different is this going to be?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mendiola
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are definitely some similarities. I was not a fan of Orcs Must Die, but I have played Planet Apocalypse. The group upgrades and troops really differentiate it, as do the difficulty of the monsters. It feels more like a collaborative experience than everyone just kind of doing their own thing.

I'm choosing it over HATE and now Nemesis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoyed the gameplay conceptually on Orcs Must Die, but found it really clunky and hard to play. I like the concept for Planet Apocalypse, but it also looks like it may be clunky as well. Anyone have info on that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Mendiola
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
I enjoyed the gameplay conceptually on Orcs Must Die, but found it really clunky and hard to play. I like the concept for Planet Apocalypse, but it also looks like it may be clunky as well. Anyone have info on that?

Clunky is a tad subjective, but for a frame of reference, I find Arkham Horror and Posthuman fiddly. Those are too much for me.

I can't really go into a lot of nuanced detail as I haven't played it in a year and I don't want to betray the trust Sandy extended, but there is still a wave progression, but there are neat mechanics they introduce that limit the awkward moments you may run into.

If you want to clarify what exactly you found clunky, I can say whether you may or may not have an issue. Note that the game is launching on Monday, with videos and stuff, so you can see exactly for yourself in three days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fnorbl Fnorblobson
Germany
Cologne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also wondered about that. Sandy Petersen now offers two coop games in which you fight invaders.

It would be interesting for me to hear which game he'd suggest to what kind of player. Is PA in each and every way an improved and superior version of OMD (apart from it's vs mode)? Or is there a different target audience for either?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I view PA as mechanically superior, probably because Sandy and company learned a lot from making OMD, and then spent additional years refining it. But, OMD is a lot more kid-friendly, both in mechanics and (obviously ) art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.