Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Under Phase 3 on page one it says that you always "choose" the die with the highest value. That means you aren't really choosing, it's more like you are *using* the highest die. You don't have a choice. Is that how everyone else understands that?

I'm puzzling over this because this means that you always have to use the 6, which means you lose Health. Obviously one in six rolls is going to be a six, but if you roll two sixes during the same phase only one of them will hurt you so you're not 36 rolls (expected value) away from death. Nonetheless by fifty or so rolls you're almost certainly dead. You start off rolling six dice and turn and that goes down pretty quickly. Nonetheless, in my three games so far I haven't lived more than eight turns, which was about a third of the way across the map. I don't really have time to take the math apart, but I don't think it's possible to win this game with that interpretation of the rules.

If you *do* get to choose which dice to use the game gets more interesting - if I roll a five and a six obviously I go with the five: it's probably a success and I won't take a Health hit. But if I roll a one and a six things I have to choose between losing Health and failing whatever I was trying to do this phase. I haven't tried it like this. Maybe you just get stuck in a state where you cannot accomplish anything but you're not dead, either. Or maybe it's too easy.

Am I understanding the game? Has anyone won this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Darwid
Indonesia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Phase 3: When rolling dice during later phases, you always choose the die with the highest value.
Phase 4: ... choose only one die rolled.
Phase 5: ... choose one die rolled.
Phase 6: ... choose only one die rolled.

My guess (and how I played the game yesterday): a typo in Phase 3. The player should be able to choose one (any) die rolled. And I think it's better, giving the game more choices.

And here's my suggestion to the designer: write the success and fail result of Phase 4-5-6 roll on the main sheet. I have to recheck what happen if I fail or succeed my Move / Stealth / Rest roll again and again.

Quote:
Has anyone won this?
My short comment in the rating:
A fun game. With enemies nearby I almost lost the game. Lucky me the Huey gunships open fire on the jungle clearing my way a bit so I can dash to the river. Then I step down into a pitfall spike trap giving me a broken foot. Ouch! With difficulty at last I reach the river. Win on my first try, but it's not easy. Try it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
andreww wrote:
Under Phase 3 on page one it says that you always "choose" the die with the highest value. That means you aren't really choosing, it's more like you are *using* the highest die. You don't have a choice. Is that how everyone else understands that?

Has anyone won this?

That is a mistake in the rules that will be corrected in an addendum.

You may choose whichever die you roll.

I've won 2 games in my last 19 attempts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walters
United States
Hercules
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Pretty significant typo, this is now an entirely different game. I am very motivated to try it again today. a 10% chance of winning is a lot higher than 0%!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Darwid
Indonesia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kzinti wrote:
I've won 2 games in my last 19 attempts.
Whoops! Yesterday must be my very lucky day.
I thought I will lose the game because my Proximity is 2 and Health is 2, but suddenly I got the help from above and got +2 Proximity. After that I set my Stealth dice to 0 because I was 3 hexes away from winning.
A broken leg later, but I can reach the river and won.

Thanks for the game. I'll ty again soon.
Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike heim
United States
Juneau
Alaska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
andreww wrote:

Pretty significant typo, this is now an entirely different game. I am very motivated to try it again today. a 10% chance of winning is a lot higher than 0%!

It's less of a typo and more of an inconsistency. Although it states you must choose the highest die on Phase 3, it's corrected in the rules on Phase 4, 5, and 6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.