Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Emil Vincent Alonzo
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all!

Sorry if this was already asked but I didn’t see info on this specifically in the pinned FAQ and my searches.

I was an original backer of v1, and backed the 1.5 Kickstarter as well.

I got my 1.5 upgrade pack, but have no clue where to start with integrating everything in it? Am I supposed to just swap out everything in the upgrade box? Or do some get swapped while other stuff gets integrated?

Also have any of the rules / gameplay changed in the rule book and should I re-read how to play?

Just curious if there was a guide somewhere on how to process upgrade and everything that changed? I’m curious what got balanced as well and what was altered.

It doesn’t help that we have played a campaign in a few months now and I’m super rusty on the rules as it is...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oda
msg tools
But if it were me, I'd really wanna be, a giant woman.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.kingdomdeath.com/wp/upgrade-to-1-5-edition/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Vincent Alonzo
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oduh wrote:

Perfect!!! Thanks so much!

As a follow up: how are people liking 1.5? In searching for this upgrade list I saw some favorable impressions but someone for instance said one upgrade actually made one mechanic worse (but did not say what).

Are ppl enjoying it so far?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
KDM
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
roboraygun wrote:
oduh wrote:

As a follow up: how are people liking 1.5? In searching for this upgrade list I saw some favorable impressions but someone for instance said one upgrade actually made one mechanic worse (but did not say what).

- being doomed is "worse" as in it is now a bigger penalty
- saviours are "worse" as in they are no longer the campaign-winning overpowered entities anymore and their power level potential was lowered

My general impression is very good, although my experience with 1.5 is limited while others have completed the 1.5 extended campaign already.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Vincent Alonzo
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hyos wrote:
roboraygun wrote:
oduh wrote:

- being doomed is "worse" as in it is now a bigger penalty
- saviours are "worse" as in they are no longer the campaign-winning overpowered entities anymore and their power level potential was lowered

My general impression is very good, although my experience with 1.5 is limited while others have completed the 1.5 extended campaign already.

Ahh gotcha! Yeh those dont sound too ground breaking. We seemed to be unfortunate any way with our "Saviours" dying or randomness anyway so those dont sound too bad.

Did anyone happen to create a "1.5 Changes" thread on here that lists all the changes?

We took a long hiatus from playing (at one point I had 3 campaigns going on at once for different people just to get everyone playing) due to other games being released, but everyone is excited to play this new 1.5 version. It sounds like most of the changes were positive though so I cant wait to start playing again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The short version of my issues:
I think the quarries/some gear could have seen better rebalancing.

The events still lack agency.

The watcher is still unimpressive.

The postgame is way better, but its narrative leaves a lot to be desired.

Over all, I think it was a notable improvement but some areas weren't touched when I think they should have been.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zsolt bertalan
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
spiralingcadaver wrote:
The short version of my issues:
I think the quarries/some gear could have seen better rebalancing.

The events still lack agency.

The watcher is still unimpressive.

The postgame is way better, but its narrative leaves a lot to be desired.

Over all, I think it was a notable improvement but some areas weren't touched when I think they should have been.

This, and additionally, I missed some guidelines how to re-integrate/update pre 1.5 add-ons.

For example, the Gorm is supposed to replace the Antelope; do we upgrade the rewards profile accordingly?

Then, there is the Slenderman. It is supposed to be encountered on unnamed nemesis encounters, of which there are none.

edit: correct Gorm statement

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
gorbad6 wrote:

For example, the Gorm is supposed to replace the Antelope; do we upgrade the rewards profile accordingly?

Then, there is the Slenderman. It is supposed to be encountered on unnamed nemesis encounters, of which there are none.

The Gorm does not replace anything (Spidicules replace the Antelope), and in both cases there is no need to re-scale rewards because rewards are scaled pretty good (well, the gorm is an example of how you add GREAT variations on the same monster on different levels, but Spidicules, while still gating poorly its stuff, does its job nicely: you will hunt L2s to Ball it a bit more easily, you will hunt L3s to complete the set). The only matter that could be fixed in expansion quarries is that they still give 1 hunt XP/weapon prof on L2s, which could not be the case anymore, but it is working really great as of now (see the campaign on my BGG profile for an example including both Gorm and Slenderman). It is also confirmed that all L3s give Black Lichen (except WL, as of now), while I am pretty sure every L3 gets Indomitable, even if I can't track where I maturated this conviction, so take this with a grain of salt.

The Slenderman, actually, fits GREAT on new timeline. Read again They are already here and Forgotten Fear to understand how great it merges with the campaign
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zsolt bertalan
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
t3clis wrote:

The Gorm does not replace anything (Spidicules replace the Antelope)

I stand corrected, you add the Gorm at LY1

t3clis wrote:

... while I am pretty sure every L3 gets Indomitable, even if I can't track where I maturated this conviction, so take this with a grain of salt.

Its on page 55 of the Core 1.5 Rulebook

t3clis wrote:

The Slenderman, actually, fits GREAT on new timeline. Read again They are already here and Forgotten Fear to understand how great it merges with the campaign

I also think the Slenderman fits great thematically, I just got confused, because "Its already here" states that one should
Spoiler (click to reveal)
'Replace any further nemesis encounters without a specified monster' (emphasis is mine), while on the integration suggestion it basically says replace the kingsman. I guess, I just did not want to fight the Lvl2&3 Butchers

I just wish that we had some comments/guidance how to better integrate the pre-1.5 addons without having to resort to the rule of death.whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
About your slender Man doubt:

somewhere before replacing the unnamed encounters with Slender Man, you are commanded to remove all encounters with King's Man from the timeline and replace them with unnamed nemesis encounters. Replacement is 1.5-proof, which is a great piece of design.

There is, however, a small defect:

in forgotten fear, you will likely end up removing your upcoming standard slender Man showdown in exchange of a small benefit (or to negate a penalty) to face the slender Man in a special showdown "immediately".

In 1.31, that costed you the time to develop, since you did that exactly as soon as you read it, but in 1.5 you have special showdown step after development, which kind of defeats the brilliant design of risking to go in unprepared in exchange of gaining an entire hunt year.

I recently have come to the solution that

you still go to the special showdown immediately, instead of waiting for the special showdown step. The same is done for the manhunter (I played that incorrectly the last time on my campaign, because it was before I realized this).

This seems correct rules wise, because 1.5 manual says that you use the special showdown step to begin special showdowns "in the timeline", but both manhunter and Slenderman are not in the timeline, and tell you that you should depart immediately. So, it seems to me that it works (maybe with a clunky explanation) pretty good with the new rules
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.