Popular Tags: [View All]
Timothy Smith
United States
Edgewater
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BotB 81, 1st & 2d Eds. Question for any expert: is the following literal reading of the rules as written correct? –

The ZoC rules (7.0) state that units must stop upon entering enemy ZoCs (7.2) but can leave freely –“‘without penalty” (7.3). Literally taken, that implies a unit can sidle directly from the ZoC of an enemy unit into an adjacent hex that is also in the ZoC of the same enemy unit.

That would represent pretty advanced thinking for an Avalon Hill design, although it's certainly sound militarily, especially in the visibility and trafficability conditions that prevailed in the Ardennes, at least prior to the 23rd.

If anyone knows the intent of designer Bruno Sinigaglio, I’d be grateful for some insight. I’m planning to teach the game to a youth club and need to get these kinds of things right!

Tim Smith
Annapolis-Area Strategy Gaming Club

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carter
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the rules handy, but I interpret Rule 7.0 literally that during its movement phase, a unit must stop when it enters an enemy ZOC.
The "move freely out of the enemy XOC" rule applies to that unit's movement during its next movement phase. I think "stop" means "stop."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Clarke
United Kingdom
Nantwich
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Check there's no specific clause in the rules somewhere along the lines of: "Units may never move directly from one ZOC to another."

I can't remember if there is in BoB, but there often is such a clause in wargames where leaving ZOCs is permitted.

If there isn't such a clause, then I agree:

Turn 1: Unit A moves into hex 0001 which is in the ZOC of enemy unit B, but must cease movement for the rest of the turn.
Turn 2: Unit A may move normally from hex 0001, which is still in an enemy ZOC, up to the limit of its movement allowance. If unit A moves to any other hex in an enemy ZOC it must immediately cease movement for the rest of the turn as usual, even if it has moved only one hex (i.e. directly from one hex in an enemy ZOC to another).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Smith
United States
Edgewater
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, guys.

Bruno Sinigaglio and Randy Heller both got back to me here and on CSW. Turns out the old classic TAHGC ZoC rule is buried in rule 14 (see http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX/.ee6d6b8/879).

(And it turns out my regiment of the 2d InfDiv survived the forced attack I was trying to disengage from and my son had to roll most of the 1st SS Panzer Korps around to kill it and then smash into Elsenborn. Time, time; just gotta buy time -- especially since his 16 December moves almost wiped me out along the Our.)

Victorious gaming to you both!

Tim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.