Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Mongiardo
United States
Coshocton
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen a lot of threads on custom game tables of various complexities (kudos!) but not a lot on making a TEMPORARY topper to go on an existing table.

A couple of wrinkles that adds:
1. Stability of the topper on the table, especially if the topper is planned to be larger.
2. Protecting the table - Whether your throwing a piece of wood down right on top or building a more complex frame, that's a lot of rubbing and sliding to damage the finish of the table.

I'm mostly interested in suggestions for #2 - ways to protect the table when I put the (probably) two piece topper on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't built either, but if I did, I'd consider lining the bottom with some 3mm foam plates or something, nothing excessive, just something with grip that won't scratch the surface.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Mongiardo
United States
Coshocton
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flamin_Jesus wrote:
I haven't built either, but if I did, I'd consider lining the bottom with some 3mm foam plates or something, nothing excessive, just something with grip that won't scratch the surface.

I thought about cutting up the foam support pads from Harbor Freight that have been mentioned in some other DIY threads. My only concern with something "grippy" is I suspect the easiest way to put the topper on is to line it up in one direction between a couple of guides and then slide it until it butts up against another guide. A grippy material might prevent that.

I don't know if the microfiber I would use for playing surface would be durable enough on the parts that would see wear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Anderson
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been considering this as well. My tentative plan was to build a light weight frame out of 1x2 or 1x3 to act as the edging for a sheet of 1/4" plywood. My thought was to cover the bottom side with felt to protect the table surface and then some nice fabric like poker table wool or the like for the top surface. The idea of using a grippy neoprene or yoga mat or the like has some appeal, but it seems like overkill to me. Simple felt should protect nicely and prevent shifting reasonably well.

I had built a nice table with removable surface and alternate drop ins of various types, but it was lost to the "great purge" of my last move. Still considering my best options for the new smaller place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bodman
United Kingdom
Birmingham
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

Here’s a link to the temporary frame I made...

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1734251/made-some-removable...

Regards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Willcutt
United States
Lubbock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a DIY, but I have one of the Game Toppers from GameToppersLLC that came out last year. It's two piece and the interior dimensions are 30"x60", 45"x67" exterior. Each half weighs about 31 lbs.

In regards to your question #2, there is some rubber on the bottom that is pretty much like what you get on the back of a mousepad. It is really grippy. In fact, when it's on my table if you try to push/slide/move the topper, the table moves before the topper does.

I'm not at home right now, but if you are interested, I can take pics of the bottom when I get home tonight, just let me know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.