Rising Sun» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Daikaiju ability question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean K
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
Since it's an Autumn monster, the ability is only going to be used once. Obviously, being able to place 5 force in the province of your choosing is powerful, but what is the utility of destroying all enemy strongholds? I guess you could reduce Turtle clan force some, especially if they clumped their strongholds somewhere, and you could hurt anyone who bought the winter upgrade that gives you victory points for strongholds. Any other advantages I'm missing? It is thematic, and I can just take pleasure in using his atomic breath to destroy their cities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Smith
Switzerland
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
raddoc wrote:
Since it's an Autumn monster, the ability is only going to be used once. Obviously, being able to place 5 force in the province of your choosing is powerful, but what is the utility of destroying all enemy strongholds? I guess you could reduce Turtle clan force some, especially if they clumped their strongholds somewhere, and you could hurt anyone who bought the winter upgrade that gives you victory points for strongholds. Any other advantages I'm missing? It is thematic, and I can just take pleasure in using his atomic breath to destroy their cities.

At the end of the game the ‘Way of the Kitsune’ card gives the owner points for strongholds and it’s a base card, so it’s in all the games. You could use it ton screw with what ever Clan gets that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Smyth
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking it would be good for extortion. Plus it is flexible. It’s invulnerable out there in the sea, ready to strike.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Octavius
Canada
Chilliwack
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
raddoc wrote:
I guess you could reduce Turtle clan force some, especially if they clumped their strongholds somewhere, and you could hurt anyone who bought the winter upgrade that gives you victory points for strongholds. Any other advantages I'm missing? It is thematic, and I can just take pleasure in using his atomic breath to destroy their cities.

Yup, those are pretty much the reasons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Billman
msg tools
If you get it out early enough in the season it messes up a player's ability to put down troops and if a player hasn't put down enough strongholds it might force a sub-optimal Marshal play just to get a stronghold in place for recruitment or scoring as per other callouts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Octavius
Canada
Chilliwack
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
archivomancer wrote:
If you get it out early enough in the season it messes up a player's ability to put down troops and if a player hasn't put down enough strongholds it might force a sub-optimal Marshal play just to get a stronghold in place for recruitment or scoring as per other callouts.

Daikaju doesn't destroy any strongholds until the war phase of autumn, so no more political phases will occur.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Billman
msg tools
good point, I guess messing up the scoring card and the Turtle player are pretty much it then?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick S
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
archivomancer wrote:
good point, I guess messing up the scoring card and the Turtle player are pretty much it then?

Does it really destroy turtle strongholds?

The turtle clan description in the back of the rule book says turtle strongholds cannot be destroyed in any way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Clark
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
bigblock75 wrote:
archivomancer wrote:

Does it really destroy turtle strongholds?

The turtle clan description in the back of the rule book says turtle strongholds cannot be destroyed in any way.

The ability just says they can’t be killed, taken Hostage or replaced by Betray. Daikaiju looks to still destroy them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Reynolds
United States
Vermontville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought Daikaiju in the first and only game I've had him appear and the Turtle clan player marshaled and moved all of his strongholds out of war provinces so if I wanted to destroy one I would basically be throwing away the +5 power. But, he had both copies of Way of Kitsune so I killed one of his turtles anyway to deny him 6 points. I thought it was a clever play, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Octavius
Canada
Chilliwack
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HopRodRye34 wrote:
I like the game better without the Kami figures. I played twice without and once with them. Including them added probably an hour to the game length and added complexity just for complexity sake. The game already has enough going on without adding 4 more figures that can change owners at any time during the game. If honor was a tie breaker for a kami figure, the rules say that if the honor order later changes, the owner of the kami immediately changes too. That's a hassle to track. Also, we had to be reminded at least 5 times which model was which and what they did.

Doesn't Daikaiju destroy all strongholds in the province he shows up in? The better turtle strategy would be to spread your strongholds into diffrent provinces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From what i gather, his main benefit is not that hes able to destroy strongholds in a province (which may or may not be powerful depending on the board state), but its the fact he can be put anywhere and provide 5 force. And by this time, no other troops can be placed after the fact to counter him, so its really hard to plan for. You cant be too sure really.

I like what someone else said, that it could also be used for extortion or bribery too. I think being able to destroy the turtle clans strongholds is icing on the cake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.