Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
180 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Patrick Meehan's Ridiculous Story and the Non-Disclosure Agreement rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
Avatar
mbmbmb
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/20/us/politics/patrick-meeha...

In a reversal of the normal way of things, Meehan wants the former aide to release him from the NDA they both signed. She pretty much doesn't want anything to do with that. He's kind of an asshat to invade her privacy on top of everything else.

Further his story is frankly unbelievable as well.

https://www.npr.org/2018/01/24/580150674/congressman-accused...

Quote:
Throughout the interview, Meehan seems to be trying to rationalize the way he pursued his staffer as somehow acceptable because they never had a sexual relationship and he felt a genuine connection with her. The married congressman and father of three denied any harassment on his part.

Meehan said he told the Inquirer that he saw his aide as his "soul mate" and that he had developed a deep "affection" for the much younger woman "in a way in which I was struggling to make sure that I would never put that into our professional relationship."

In an interview with WHYY's Dave Davies, Meehan insisted that he "never touched her" beyond hugging and "I never expressed any interest in doing so. I never asked for any kind of a relationship."

"I've been up front that while we worked together, that there was a growing affection, that I wanted to make sure. ... that I would never cross that line," Meehan said. However, he admitted that "it was something that, from time to time, I struggled with."

Meehan told The New York Times that he felt as though the young woman had "specifically invited" their communications and relationship.

As for calling the woman a "soul mate," Meehan explained to WHYY that phrase simply "related to the kind of kindred spirit that was going through these experiences that we shared together," noting that the woman was a kind of gatekeeper for whom he would see during the day and the first person he would see when he got to Washington, D.C., and the last person he would see before he departed for home. They shared "a lot of humor," he said, and she showed "grace under pressure."

Still, he admitted to the Inquirer that when she started dating another man seriously, he acted "selfishly." Meehan said that if he was acting "rough" in his office or lashed out at all, it was driven by stress he was experiencing over intense votes last year, including GOP efforts to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act, also known as Obamacare.

The congressman invited his aide out for ice cream, at which time he planned to tell her about his feelings.

"I started to talk to her about my reaction to (her new relationship) and you know, selfishly I was thinking about what this was going to mean to me," Meehan told the Inquirer, "that she was leaving and that this was going to change the dynamic which was very special in my office and also somebody that I was emotionally close to by virtue of the time that we spent together in seven years."

They shared a hug that was "maybe longer that night than needed to be" — and then Meehan felt it was all right to write her a two-page heartfelt note about how deeply he cared for her.


Really? You expect anyone to believe that shit, Meehan?

I voted for him too. I totally regret it now (for not just this issue), and I want him gone like right now.

I'm really tired of the GOP sexual harassers getting to stay in office, while people like Franken resign. It's time to face the music, Republicans.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As I recall, quite a few liberals and democrats said franken had to go.

It was a matter of principle.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Van Horn
United States
Othello
Washington
flag msg tools
I admit it, I killed her, I killed Yvette. I hated her so much
badge
Flames...flames on the side of my face...breathing...breathle...heaving breathes
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sue_G wrote:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/20/us/politics/patrick-meeha...

In a reversal of the normal way of things, Meehan wants the former aide to release him from the NDA they both signed. She pretty much doesn't want anything to do with that. He's kind of an asshat to invade her privacy on top of everything else.

Further his story is frankly unbelievable as well.

https://www.npr.org/2018/01/24/580150674/congressman-accused...

Quote:
Throughout the interview, Meehan seems to be trying to rationalize the way he pursued his staffer as somehow acceptable because they never had a sexual relationship and he felt a genuine connection with her. The married congressman and father of three denied any harassment on his part.

Meehan said he told the Inquirer that he saw his aide as his "soul mate" and that he had developed a deep "affection" for the much younger woman "in a way in which I was struggling to make sure that I would never put that into our professional relationship."

In an interview with WHYY's Dave Davies, Meehan insisted that he "never touched her" beyond hugging and "I never expressed any interest in doing so. I never asked for any kind of a relationship."

"I've been up front that while we worked together, that there was a growing affection, that I wanted to make sure. ... that I would never cross that line," Meehan said. However, he admitted that "it was something that, from time to time, I struggled with."

Meehan told The New York Times that he felt as though the young woman had "specifically invited" their communications and relationship.

As for calling the woman a "soul mate," Meehan explained to WHYY that phrase simply "related to the kind of kindred spirit that was going through these experiences that we shared together," noting that the woman was a kind of gatekeeper for whom he would see during the day and the first person he would see when he got to Washington, D.C., and the last person he would see before he departed for home. They shared "a lot of humor," he said, and she showed "grace under pressure."

Still, he admitted to the Inquirer that when she started dating another man seriously, he acted "selfishly." Meehan said that if he was acting "rough" in his office or lashed out at all, it was driven by stress he was experiencing over intense votes last year, including GOP efforts to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act, also known as Obamacare.

The congressman invited his aide out for ice cream, at which time he planned to tell her about his feelings.

"I started to talk to her about my reaction to (her new relationship) and you know, selfishly I was thinking about what this was going to mean to me," Meehan told the Inquirer, "that she was leaving and that this was going to change the dynamic which was very special in my office and also somebody that I was emotionally close to by virtue of the time that we spent together in seven years."

They shared a hug that was "maybe longer that night than needed to be" — and then Meehan felt it was all right to write her a two-page heartfelt note about how deeply he cared for her.


Really? You expect anyone to believe that shit, Meehan?

I voted for him too. I totally regret it now (for not just this issue), and I want him gone like right now.

I'm really tired of the GOP sexual harassers getting to stay in office, while people like Franken resign. It's time to face the music, Republicans.


If his version of the story is accurate do you think he should resign?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
Avatar
mbmbmb
maxo-texas wrote:
As I recall, quite a few liberals and democrats said franken had to go.

It was a matter of principle.


So why haven’t all these Republicans resigned? My point isn’t that Franken should not have resigned.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
Avatar
mbmbmb
GuidoVanHorn wrote:
Sue_G wrote:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/20/us/politics/patrick-meeha...

In a reversal of the normal way of things, Meehan wants the former aide to release him from the NDA they both signed. She pretty much doesn't want anything to do with that. He's kind of an asshat to invade her privacy on top of everything else.

Further his story is frankly unbelievable as well.

https://www.npr.org/2018/01/24/580150674/congressman-accused...

Quote:
Throughout the interview, Meehan seems to be trying to rationalize the way he pursued his staffer as somehow acceptable because they never had a sexual relationship and he felt a genuine connection with her. The married congressman and father of three denied any harassment on his part.

Meehan said he told the Inquirer that he saw his aide as his "soul mate" and that he had developed a deep "affection" for the much younger woman "in a way in which I was struggling to make sure that I would never put that into our professional relationship."

In an interview with WHYY's Dave Davies, Meehan insisted that he "never touched her" beyond hugging and "I never expressed any interest in doing so. I never asked for any kind of a relationship."

"I've been up front that while we worked together, that there was a growing affection, that I wanted to make sure. ... that I would never cross that line," Meehan said. However, he admitted that "it was something that, from time to time, I struggled with."

Meehan told The New York Times that he felt as though the young woman had "specifically invited" their communications and relationship.

As for calling the woman a "soul mate," Meehan explained to WHYY that phrase simply "related to the kind of kindred spirit that was going through these experiences that we shared together," noting that the woman was a kind of gatekeeper for whom he would see during the day and the first person he would see when he got to Washington, D.C., and the last person he would see before he departed for home. They shared "a lot of humor," he said, and she showed "grace under pressure."

Still, he admitted to the Inquirer that when she started dating another man seriously, he acted "selfishly." Meehan said that if he was acting "rough" in his office or lashed out at all, it was driven by stress he was experiencing over intense votes last year, including GOP efforts to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act, also known as Obamacare.

The congressman invited his aide out for ice cream, at which time he planned to tell her about his feelings.

"I started to talk to her about my reaction to (her new relationship) and you know, selfishly I was thinking about what this was going to mean to me," Meehan told the Inquirer, "that she was leaving and that this was going to change the dynamic which was very special in my office and also somebody that I was emotionally close to by virtue of the time that we spent together in seven years."

They shared a hug that was "maybe longer that night than needed to be" — and then Meehan felt it was all right to write her a two-page heartfelt note about how deeply he cared for her.


Really? You expect anyone to believe that shit, Meehan?

I voted for him too. I totally regret it now (for not just this issue), and I want him gone like right now.

I'm really tired of the GOP sexual harassers getting to stay in office, while people like Franken resign. It's time to face the music, Republicans.


If his version of the story is accurate do you think he should resign?


Is it fair he took negative action towards her because she dated someone else? That’s part of his story. And we don’t even know enough about even his side to say.

I don’t believe him so there isn’t much point in discussing it.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G Rowls
msg tools
Mostly made up of spare parts and sarcasm! ... HTTP Error 418 I'm a Teapot!
Avatar
mbmb
Sue_G wrote:
GuidoVanHorn wrote:
Sue_G wrote:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/20/us/politics/patrick-meeha...

In a reversal of the normal way of things, Meehan wants the former aide to release him from the NDA they both signed. She pretty much doesn't want anything to do with that. He's kind of an asshat to invade her privacy on top of everything else.

Further his story is frankly unbelievable as well.

https://www.npr.org/2018/01/24/580150674/congressman-accused...

Quote:
Throughout the interview, Meehan seems to be trying to rationalize the way he pursued his staffer as somehow acceptable because they never had a sexual relationship and he felt a genuine connection with her. The married congressman and father of three denied any harassment on his part.

Meehan said he told the Inquirer that he saw his aide as his "soul mate" and that he had developed a deep "affection" for the much younger woman "in a way in which I was struggling to make sure that I would never put that into our professional relationship."

In an interview with WHYY's Dave Davies, Meehan insisted that he "never touched her" beyond hugging and "I never expressed any interest in doing so. I never asked for any kind of a relationship."

"I've been up front that while we worked together, that there was a growing affection, that I wanted to make sure. ... that I would never cross that line," Meehan said. However, he admitted that "it was something that, from time to time, I struggled with."

Meehan told The New York Times that he felt as though the young woman had "specifically invited" their communications and relationship.

As for calling the woman a "soul mate," Meehan explained to WHYY that phrase simply "related to the kind of kindred spirit that was going through these experiences that we shared together," noting that the woman was a kind of gatekeeper for whom he would see during the day and the first person he would see when he got to Washington, D.C., and the last person he would see before he departed for home. They shared "a lot of humor," he said, and she showed "grace under pressure."

Still, he admitted to the Inquirer that when she started dating another man seriously, he acted "selfishly." Meehan said that if he was acting "rough" in his office or lashed out at all, it was driven by stress he was experiencing over intense votes last year, including GOP efforts to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act, also known as Obamacare.

The congressman invited his aide out for ice cream, at which time he planned to tell her about his feelings.

"I started to talk to her about my reaction to (her new relationship) and you know, selfishly I was thinking about what this was going to mean to me," Meehan told the Inquirer, "that she was leaving and that this was going to change the dynamic which was very special in my office and also somebody that I was emotionally close to by virtue of the time that we spent together in seven years."

They shared a hug that was "maybe longer that night than needed to be" — and then Meehan felt it was all right to write her a two-page heartfelt note about how deeply he cared for her.


Really? You expect anyone to believe that shit, Meehan?

I voted for him too. I totally regret it now (for not just this issue), and I want him gone like right now.

I'm really tired of the GOP sexual harassers getting to stay in office, while people like Franken resign. It's time to face the music, Republicans.


If his version of the story is accurate do you think he should resign?


Is it fair he took negative action towards her because she dated someone else? That’s part of his story. And we don’t even know enough about even his side to say.

I don’t believe him so there isn’t much point in discussing it.


They are republicans - every one knows they haven't got any principles - thats how we got trump.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hearing ONLY his side of the story and he still sounds hyper fucked up.
21 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Van Horn
United States
Othello
Washington
flag msg tools
I admit it, I killed her, I killed Yvette. I hated her so much
badge
Flames...flames on the side of my face...breathing...breathle...heaving breathes
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sue_G wrote:
GuidoVanHorn wrote:
Sue_G wrote:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/20/us/politics/patrick-meeha...

In a reversal of the normal way of things, Meehan wants the former aide to release him from the NDA they both signed. She pretty much doesn't want anything to do with that. He's kind of an asshat to invade her privacy on top of everything else.

Further his story is frankly unbelievable as well.

https://www.npr.org/2018/01/24/580150674/congressman-accused...

Quote:
Throughout the interview, Meehan seems to be trying to rationalize the way he pursued his staffer as somehow acceptable because they never had a sexual relationship and he felt a genuine connection with her. The married congressman and father of three denied any harassment on his part.

Meehan said he told the Inquirer that he saw his aide as his "soul mate" and that he had developed a deep "affection" for the much younger woman "in a way in which I was struggling to make sure that I would never put that into our professional relationship."

In an interview with WHYY's Dave Davies, Meehan insisted that he "never touched her" beyond hugging and "I never expressed any interest in doing so. I never asked for any kind of a relationship."

"I've been up front that while we worked together, that there was a growing affection, that I wanted to make sure. ... that I would never cross that line," Meehan said. However, he admitted that "it was something that, from time to time, I struggled with."

Meehan told The New York Times that he felt as though the young woman had "specifically invited" their communications and relationship.

As for calling the woman a "soul mate," Meehan explained to WHYY that phrase simply "related to the kind of kindred spirit that was going through these experiences that we shared together," noting that the woman was a kind of gatekeeper for whom he would see during the day and the first person he would see when he got to Washington, D.C., and the last person he would see before he departed for home. They shared "a lot of humor," he said, and she showed "grace under pressure."

Still, he admitted to the Inquirer that when she started dating another man seriously, he acted "selfishly." Meehan said that if he was acting "rough" in his office or lashed out at all, it was driven by stress he was experiencing over intense votes last year, including GOP efforts to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act, also known as Obamacare.

The congressman invited his aide out for ice cream, at which time he planned to tell her about his feelings.

"I started to talk to her about my reaction to (her new relationship) and you know, selfishly I was thinking about what this was going to mean to me," Meehan told the Inquirer, "that she was leaving and that this was going to change the dynamic which was very special in my office and also somebody that I was emotionally close to by virtue of the time that we spent together in seven years."

They shared a hug that was "maybe longer that night than needed to be" — and then Meehan felt it was all right to write her a two-page heartfelt note about how deeply he cared for her.


Really? You expect anyone to believe that shit, Meehan?

I voted for him too. I totally regret it now (for not just this issue), and I want him gone like right now.

I'm really tired of the GOP sexual harassers getting to stay in office, while people like Franken resign. It's time to face the music, Republicans.


If his version of the story is accurate do you think he should resign?


Is it fair he took negative action towards her because she dated someone else? That’s part of his story. And we don’t even know enough about even his side to say.

I don’t believe him so there isn’t much point in discussing it.


I don’t want to defend him because I don’t know enough about what any of what happened, but from his side it sounds like he really liked her and was jealous that she had a boyfriend. Depending on what those negative actions were I’m not sure there is much to it. Your default is that he is lying, which is a curious position to take considering there are no details to compare his version with.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O'Brien
United States
Connellsville
PA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sue_G wrote:
GuidoVanHorn wrote:
Sue_G wrote:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/20/us/politics/patrick-meeha...

In a reversal of the normal way of things, Meehan wants the former aide to release him from the NDA they both signed. She pretty much doesn't want anything to do with that. He's kind of an asshat to invade her privacy on top of everything else.

Further his story is frankly unbelievable as well.

https://www.npr.org/2018/01/24/580150674/congressman-accused...

Quote:
Throughout the interview, Meehan seems to be trying to rationalize the way he pursued his staffer as somehow acceptable because they never had a sexual relationship and he felt a genuine connection with her. The married congressman and father of three denied any harassment on his part.

Meehan said he told the Inquirer that he saw his aide as his "soul mate" and that he had developed a deep "affection" for the much younger woman "in a way in which I was struggling to make sure that I would never put that into our professional relationship."

In an interview with WHYY's Dave Davies, Meehan insisted that he "never touched her" beyond hugging and "I never expressed any interest in doing so. I never asked for any kind of a relationship."

"I've been up front that while we worked together, that there was a growing affection, that I wanted to make sure. ... that I would never cross that line," Meehan said. However, he admitted that "it was something that, from time to time, I struggled with."

Meehan told The New York Times that he felt as though the young woman had "specifically invited" their communications and relationship.

As for calling the woman a "soul mate," Meehan explained to WHYY that phrase simply "related to the kind of kindred spirit that was going through these experiences that we shared together," noting that the woman was a kind of gatekeeper for whom he would see during the day and the first person he would see when he got to Washington, D.C., and the last person he would see before he departed for home. They shared "a lot of humor," he said, and she showed "grace under pressure."

Still, he admitted to the Inquirer that when she started dating another man seriously, he acted "selfishly." Meehan said that if he was acting "rough" in his office or lashed out at all, it was driven by stress he was experiencing over intense votes last year, including GOP efforts to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act, also known as Obamacare.

The congressman invited his aide out for ice cream, at which time he planned to tell her about his feelings.

"I started to talk to her about my reaction to (her new relationship) and you know, selfishly I was thinking about what this was going to mean to me," Meehan told the Inquirer, "that she was leaving and that this was going to change the dynamic which was very special in my office and also somebody that I was emotionally close to by virtue of the time that we spent together in seven years."

They shared a hug that was "maybe longer that night than needed to be" — and then Meehan felt it was all right to write her a two-page heartfelt note about how deeply he cared for her.


Really? You expect anyone to believe that shit, Meehan?

I voted for him too. I totally regret it now (for not just this issue), and I want him gone like right now.

I'm really tired of the GOP sexual harassers getting to stay in office, while people like Franken resign. It's time to face the music, Republicans.


If his version of the story is accurate do you think he should resign?


Is it fair he took negative action towards her because she dated someone else? That’s part of his story. And we don’t even know enough about even his side to say.

I don’t believe him so there isn’t much point in discussing it.


if he wasn't Republican and was much more aligned with your own political views I doubt you would hasten his departure so quickly. Pretty much your every post in this entire area boils down to red = can do no right, blue = can do no wrong.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
Avatar
mbmbmb
Oro? She just said it was right for Franken to go.
19 
 Thumb up
0.10
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O'Brien
United States
Connellsville
PA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sbszine wrote:
Oro? She just said it was right for Franken to go.


Franken forcibly kissed and groped a woman. Meehan wrote a letter to a woman telling her he was jealous of her new boyfriend.

One is illegal according to the law, the other is... NOT?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sao123 wrote:
Sue_G wrote:
GuidoVanHorn wrote:
Sue_G wrote:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/20/us/politics/patrick-meeha...

In a reversal of the normal way of things, Meehan wants the former aide to release him from the NDA they both signed. She pretty much doesn't want anything to do with that. He's kind of an asshat to invade her privacy on top of everything else.

Further his story is frankly unbelievable as well.

https://www.npr.org/2018/01/24/580150674/congressman-accused...

Quote:
Throughout the interview, Meehan seems to be trying to rationalize the way he pursued his staffer as somehow acceptable because they never had a sexual relationship and he felt a genuine connection with her. The married congressman and father of three denied any harassment on his part.

Meehan said he told the Inquirer that he saw his aide as his "soul mate" and that he had developed a deep "affection" for the much younger woman "in a way in which I was struggling to make sure that I would never put that into our professional relationship."

In an interview with WHYY's Dave Davies, Meehan insisted that he "never touched her" beyond hugging and "I never expressed any interest in doing so. I never asked for any kind of a relationship."

"I've been up front that while we worked together, that there was a growing affection, that I wanted to make sure. ... that I would never cross that line," Meehan said. However, he admitted that "it was something that, from time to time, I struggled with."

Meehan told The New York Times that he felt as though the young woman had "specifically invited" their communications and relationship.

As for calling the woman a "soul mate," Meehan explained to WHYY that phrase simply "related to the kind of kindred spirit that was going through these experiences that we shared together," noting that the woman was a kind of gatekeeper for whom he would see during the day and the first person he would see when he got to Washington, D.C., and the last person he would see before he departed for home. They shared "a lot of humor," he said, and she showed "grace under pressure."

Still, he admitted to the Inquirer that when she started dating another man seriously, he acted "selfishly." Meehan said that if he was acting "rough" in his office or lashed out at all, it was driven by stress he was experiencing over intense votes last year, including GOP efforts to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act, also known as Obamacare.

The congressman invited his aide out for ice cream, at which time he planned to tell her about his feelings.

"I started to talk to her about my reaction to (her new relationship) and you know, selfishly I was thinking about what this was going to mean to me," Meehan told the Inquirer, "that she was leaving and that this was going to change the dynamic which was very special in my office and also somebody that I was emotionally close to by virtue of the time that we spent together in seven years."

They shared a hug that was "maybe longer that night than needed to be" — and then Meehan felt it was all right to write her a two-page heartfelt note about how deeply he cared for her.


Really? You expect anyone to believe that shit, Meehan?

I voted for him too. I totally regret it now (for not just this issue), and I want him gone like right now.

I'm really tired of the GOP sexual harassers getting to stay in office, while people like Franken resign. It's time to face the music, Republicans.


If his version of the story is accurate do you think he should resign?


Is it fair he took negative action towards her because she dated someone else? That’s part of his story. And we don’t even know enough about even his side to say.

I don’t believe him so there isn’t much point in discussing it.


if he wasn't Republican and was much more aligned with your own political views I doubt you would hasten his departure so quickly. Pretty much your every post in this entire area boils down to red = can do no right, blue = can do no wrong.

I think you should look in a mirror. From this side of the pond there is massive institutional racism but some Democrats seems to be attempting to "drain the swamp"
Edit: sorry Sexism nor Racism posted too late at night.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sue_G wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:
As I recall, quite a few liberals and democrats said franken had to go.

It was a matter of principle.


So why haven’t all these Republicans resigned? My point isn’t that Franken should not have resigned.


Because, for republicans the ends justify the means. They no longer have principles.

and half of their voters agree with that approach.

If the other half would leave, then this situation would correct itself really quickly. But so far, only a little less than 10% have left.
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O'Brien
United States
Connellsville
PA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidDearlove wrote:
sao123 wrote:
Sue_G wrote:
GuidoVanHorn wrote:
Sue_G wrote:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/20/us/politics/patrick-meeha...

In a reversal of the normal way of things, Meehan wants the former aide to release him from the NDA they both signed. She pretty much doesn't want anything to do with that. He's kind of an asshat to invade her privacy on top of everything else.

Further his story is frankly unbelievable as well.

https://www.npr.org/2018/01/24/580150674/congressman-accused...

Quote:
Throughout the interview, Meehan seems to be trying to rationalize the way he pursued his staffer as somehow acceptable because they never had a sexual relationship and he felt a genuine connection with her. The married congressman and father of three denied any harassment on his part.

Meehan said he told the Inquirer that he saw his aide as his "soul mate" and that he had developed a deep "affection" for the much younger woman "in a way in which I was struggling to make sure that I would never put that into our professional relationship."

In an interview with WHYY's Dave Davies, Meehan insisted that he "never touched her" beyond hugging and "I never expressed any interest in doing so. I never asked for any kind of a relationship."

"I've been up front that while we worked together, that there was a growing affection, that I wanted to make sure. ... that I would never cross that line," Meehan said. However, he admitted that "it was something that, from time to time, I struggled with."

Meehan told The New York Times that he felt as though the young woman had "specifically invited" their communications and relationship.

As for calling the woman a "soul mate," Meehan explained to WHYY that phrase simply "related to the kind of kindred spirit that was going through these experiences that we shared together," noting that the woman was a kind of gatekeeper for whom he would see during the day and the first person he would see when he got to Washington, D.C., and the last person he would see before he departed for home. They shared "a lot of humor," he said, and she showed "grace under pressure."

Still, he admitted to the Inquirer that when she started dating another man seriously, he acted "selfishly." Meehan said that if he was acting "rough" in his office or lashed out at all, it was driven by stress he was experiencing over intense votes last year, including GOP efforts to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act, also known as Obamacare.

The congressman invited his aide out for ice cream, at which time he planned to tell her about his feelings.

"I started to talk to her about my reaction to (her new relationship) and you know, selfishly I was thinking about what this was going to mean to me," Meehan told the Inquirer, "that she was leaving and that this was going to change the dynamic which was very special in my office and also somebody that I was emotionally close to by virtue of the time that we spent together in seven years."

They shared a hug that was "maybe longer that night than needed to be" — and then Meehan felt it was all right to write her a two-page heartfelt note about how deeply he cared for her.


Really? You expect anyone to believe that shit, Meehan?

I voted for him too. I totally regret it now (for not just this issue), and I want him gone like right now.

I'm really tired of the GOP sexual harassers getting to stay in office, while people like Franken resign. It's time to face the music, Republicans.


If his version of the story is accurate do you think he should resign?


Is it fair he took negative action towards her because she dated someone else? That’s part of his story. And we don’t even know enough about even his side to say.

I don’t believe him so there isn’t much point in discussing it.


if he wasn't Republican and was much more aligned with your own political views I doubt you would hasten his departure so quickly. Pretty much your every post in this entire area boils down to red = can do no right, blue = can do no wrong.

I think you should look in a mirror. From this side of the pond there is massive institutional racism but some Democrats seems to be attempting to "drain the swamp"


Calling something racist that you disagree with is just the new "Godwin's law" of the left.

there are very valid reasons for limiting immigration which have nothing to do with despising the race of particular set of people.

Every pro-immigration left politician now, was preaching against illegal immigration in 2007-2010, and there are videos to prove it. They have flipflopped positions because it is too convenient to oppose the right at every decision.



Its not a racism problem, its just red vs blue playing politics at the expense of the american people.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As I said above sorry Brain fade meant sexism not racism.
So your point is irrelevant (not through your fault).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DavidDearlove wrote:
As I said above sorry Brain fade meant sexism not racism.
So your point is irrelevant (not through your fault).


(This time)
4 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sao123 wrote:
sbszine wrote:
Oro? She just said it was right for Franken to go.


Franken forcibly kissed and groped a woman. Meehan wrote a letter to a woman telling her he was jealous of her new boyfriend.

One is illegal according to the law, the other is... NOT?


You left out the retaliatory actions he took against her, again by his own admission. (one of his excuses being he was under stress because of the ACA vote)

Facts are not your friend in this case
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O'Brien
United States
Connellsville
PA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kumitedad wrote:
sao123 wrote:
sbszine wrote:
Oro? She just said it was right for Franken to go.


Franken forcibly kissed and groped a woman. Meehan wrote a letter to a woman telling her he was jealous of her new boyfriend.

One is illegal according to the law, the other is... NOT?


You left out the retaliatory actions he took against her, again by his own admission. (one of his excuses being he was under stress because of the ACA vote)

Facts are not your friend in this case


care to explicitly say what those retaliatory action were?
because the only thing I see is an if...

Quote:
Still, he admitted to the Inquirer that when she started dating another man seriously, he acted "selfishly." Meehan said that if he was acting "rough" in his office or lashed out at all, it was driven by stress he was experiencing over intense votes last year, including GOP efforts to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act, also known as Obamacare.


First and foremost, thats a pretty broad if, and we have nothing else to go on.

Secondly and more importantly... The legal definition of Sexual harrassment is: unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, and other verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature when either: The conduct is made as a term or condition of an individual's employment, education, living environment or participation in a University community.

If all the guy did is have a temper tantrum, that doesnt qualify under the 3 specific things the law forbids.
is the guy a jackass? Probably. Did he do something illegal? Doesnt appear to be unless we get more released evidence. For this to qualify as sexual harrassment, it has to involve something of a sexual nature.
At first glance...It doesnt.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
Avatar
mbmbmb
sao123 wrote:
Kumitedad wrote:
sao123 wrote:
sbszine wrote:
Oro? She just said it was right for Franken to go.


Franken forcibly kissed and groped a woman. Meehan wrote a letter to a woman telling her he was jealous of her new boyfriend.

One is illegal according to the law, the other is... NOT?


You left out the retaliatory actions he took against her, again by his own admission. (one of his excuses being he was under stress because of the ACA vote)

Facts are not your friend in this case


care to explicitly say what those retaliatory action were?
because the only thing I see is an if...

Quote:
Still, he admitted to the Inquirer that when she started dating another man seriously, he acted "selfishly." Meehan said that if he was acting "rough" in his office or lashed out at all, it was driven by stress he was experiencing over intense votes last year, including GOP efforts to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act, also known as Obamacare.


First and foremost, thats a pretty broad if, and we have nothing else to go on.

Secondly and more importantly... The legal definition of Sexual harrassment is: unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, and other verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature when either: The conduct is made as a term or condition of an individual's employment, education, living environment or participation in a University community.

If all the guy did is have a temper tantrum, that doesnt qualify under the 3 specific things the law forbids.
is the guy a jackass? Probably. Did he do something illegal? Doesnt appear to be unless we get more released evidence. For this to qualify as sexual harrassment, it has to involve something of a sexual nature.
At first glance...It doesnt.


If you believe his story that he had a temper tantrum about a bill and not him lashing out because she dated someone else (which is a essentially making a condition of her employment not dating other men) then sure, it’s not actionable sexual harassment. If you believe the times story then he bounded her with sexual overtures which is a type of sexual harassment that is a hostile work place. It doesn’t all have to be quid pro quo harassment.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
Avatar
mbmbmb
Scott, I voted for Meehan. So the idea that I think red all bad is obvious projection by you onto me.
14 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sao123 wrote:
Kumitedad wrote:
sao123 wrote:
sbszine wrote:
Oro? She just said it was right for Franken to go.


Franken forcibly kissed and groped a woman. Meehan wrote a letter to a woman telling her he was jealous of her new boyfriend.

One is illegal according to the law, the other is... NOT?


You left out the retaliatory actions he took against her, again by his own admission. (one of his excuses being he was under stress because of the ACA vote)

Facts are not your friend in this case


care to explicitly say what those retaliatory action were?
because the only thing I see is an if...

Quote:
Still, he admitted to the Inquirer that when she started dating another man seriously, he acted "selfishly." Meehan said that if he was acting "rough" in his office or lashed out at all, it was driven by stress he was experiencing over intense votes last year, including GOP efforts to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act, also known as Obamacare.


First and foremost, thats a pretty broad if, and we have nothing else to go on.

Secondly and more importantly... The legal definition of Sexual harrassment is: unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, and other verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature when either: The conduct is made as a term or condition of an individual's employment, education, living environment or participation in a University community.

If all the guy did is have a temper tantrum, that doesnt qualify under the 3 specific things the law forbids.
is the guy a jackass? Probably. Did he do something illegal? Doesnt appear to be unless we get more released evidence. For this to qualify as sexual harrassment, it has to involve something of a sexual nature.
At first glance...It doesnt.


What it does do is to highlight that your characterization of his actions as

Quote:
Meehan wrote a letter to a woman telling her he was jealous of her new boyfriend.


As some rather delusional bullshit. Whitewashing actions like this help perpetuate this mess.

And actually creating a hostile work environment for reasons as he stated is actually harassment.

But please continue your defense of the rights of the male to act as he please. Especially given his rather despicable "she asked for it" defense it is quite amusing

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eagle-Eyed Superhawk
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
Oh, America, what have you done.
Avatar
mbmbmb
sao123 wrote:
if he wasn't Republican and was much more aligned with your own political views I doubt you would hasten his departure so quickly. Pretty much your every post in this entire area boils down to red = can do no right, blue = can do no wrong.


sbszine wrote:
Oro? She just said it was right for Franken to go.


sao123 wrote:
Franken forcibly kissed and groped a woman. Meehan wrote a letter to a woman telling her he was jealous of her new boyfriend.

One is illegal according to the law, the other is... NOT?


You were wrong about Sue. Just admit it and move on, don't move the goalposts.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Bitter acerbic harridan
Avatar
mbmbmb
GuidoVanHorn wrote:


I don’t want to defend him because I don’t know enough about what any of what happened, but from his side it sounds like he really liked her and was jealous that she had a boyfriend. Depending on what those negative actions were I’m not sure there is much to it. Your default is that he is lying, which is a curious position to take considering there are no details to compare his version with.


I have a post above after this one where I say that if he really just had a tantrum one time, then it's probably not actionable sexual harassment. Legally, you can get into trouble in one of two ways: (1) quid pro quo; and (2) hostile workplace. Quid pro quo is pretty straightforward. If you make sexual encounters a condition of employment, then that's illegal. I think it can stop short of actual sex though. So for example, if he dictated to her that she couldn't see anyone else because he'd be jealous, then that's obviously completely illegal. He says he didn't. It's completely unclear at this point, but let's assume that never happened based on his side of the story.

For hostile workplace, it has to be severe or pervasive. So a single temper tantrum wouldn't be either.

----

But I think we're getting caught up in what's actionable legally and ignoring what's actionable politically. They aren't the same.


----

Further, the Times story has a lot of detail in it that would be actionable legally as well as politically. And that comes back to why I don't believe Meehan as it contradicts a well-researched story with several interviews of different people.
4 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like the boss (by his own admission) had been mooning on (coveting?) his aide for a long time which would make for a really uncomfortable work environment for everyone. This is super weird and whether legal or illegal it is just plain not okay.

Keep in mind, that whatever happened, Meehan used taxpayer money in a settlement with her that also includes an NDA apparently. You don't usually do that if everything was legally above board. I can't say he's guilty, because he paid off the potential plaintiff, but I do think we can say that we don't know the full story and the full story likely doesn't help Meehan, else he wouldn't have bought her off.

Bad optics!

13 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sao123 wrote:

if he wasn't Republican and was much more aligned with your own political views I doubt you would hasten his departure so quickly. Pretty much your every post in this entire area boils down to red = can do no right, blue = can do no wrong.


Are you okay with this? A married man pursuing his aide (who didn't return his affections) and getting upset and jealous that she has a boyfriend.

So are you okay with him serving in the house of representatives?

Do you think he should resign?

Would you vote for him if he ran again and was in your district?
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.