badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Elder Sign
Designed by Richard Launius & Kevin Wilson
Produced by Fantasy Flight Games
1-8 players, 13+
Takes about 90 minutes, a little less with fewer players

Components

It's a Fantasy Flight game so the components are better than average. The cards are decent with a nice linen finish. The art is great on everything. Sure, miniatures for the player characters would have been nice, but the little cardboard chits work. No complaints about component quality.

Theme

This is Arkham Horror: The Dice Game. All the investigators, Old Ones, weapons, locations, etc. from Arkham Horror are here as well. You are investigators trying to stop the Old One from waking up and destroying the world. You are moving around to different Arkham locations; finding artifacts, weapons, and allies to help you complete tasks and defeat the minions of the Elder God. The flavor text and art work really help pull the theme through.

What do I think?

I have played the base game a few times, but most of my plays have been with the Elder Sign: Unseen Forces expansion added. The base game is fine, but the expansions add some nice flavor. The curse and bless cards in Elder Sign: Unseen Forces are game changing. I have played this solo, with 2 and with 4. I have to say I enjoy the 1-2 player games more than the higher player counts. I feel there is not much to do on another player's turn and the game feels much harder with more players since the mythos cards cycle through a lot faster.

I like the flavor text on the cards, but the font they chose is very difficult to read. I understand they wanted the font to fit with the game, but the readability really suffers.

The rule book is what I would call "typical Fantasy Flight". Yes, some rules are located in the rule book, but they don't flow very well and are rather vague in some instances. You will note that there are over 500 rules threads here on BGG.

The game can be a little fiddly as players try to remember what mythos card effect might be in play, what power the Old One has that might be in play, and what locations might have a power in play as well. There are lots of little tokens to manage and good luck trying to pick some of them up if you have big hands.

All that being said, I enjoy this game solo and with two. It gives me all the feel of Arkham Horror in about half the time. The tension in the dice rolls is nice and the way you can mitigate luck works well. I think the game is pretty balanced between the players and the Old One. I have won more than I have lost, but barring incredibly poor dice rolls or planning, the players should have a decent chance to win.

Summary

If you are looking for a good 1-2 player dice game that gives you all the theme of Arkham Horror without the massive time commitment, you should definitely pick this up. I would also suggest checking out the expansions to ramp up the difficulty a bit if you like the base game.

thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Eklund
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gates of Arkham is even more game changing.. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvio Z
Brazil
Curitiba
ParanĂ¡
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Did not have played it with the expansions yet, but i love the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Azikin wrote:
Gates of Arkham is even more game changing.. cool

Minimum requirement to make it AH light plus is Gates + one other expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy B
United Kingdom
Mold
Clwyd
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Azikin wrote:
Gates of Arkham is even more game changing.. :cool:

Agreed, but for new players, watch that learning curve, it can be brutal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.