Popular Tags: [View All]
Bill Gates
United States
Essex
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
... and there sat a copy of Gloomhaven, in all its two-and-a-half ton glory (weight estimate may be slightly exaggerated). The store had ordered six, received two, and one of them had already been sold. $140; with the store's 20% discount, it would cost $118 and change after tax.

I had already passed up Gloomhaven on both Kickstarters. Just didn't like how the combat system looked - it sounded too much like a puzzle. And I like rolling dice; I like that a low-odds attack could succeed, or there could be a chance of a whiff on an almost sure thing. And frankly, yes, all of the "best game ever" hype did kinda annoy me. And, no small consideration, Ive been spending a lot lately; picked up Necromunda: Underhive when it was released a few months ago, plus Massive Darkness and The Others within the last month (albeit at 50% off sales at my FLGS).

But there it sat. And it is one impressive-looking, heavy box (are the minis made of metal? Just how thick are the mapboards, anyway?). But I'm already pledging the Nemesis kickstarter, and the Triplanetary kickstarter, and the Batman: Gotham City Chronicles kickstarter should be launching next month. On the other hand , the combat system does sound very tactical, and I'm getting tired of dungeon crawls with area movement, where you just move all your figures into a zone and start rolling dice. I like tactical combat where positioning matters. And, well, there's gotta be a reason so many people are enthusiastic for this game, and apparently the second printing has already sold out ... and I have hundreds of monster minis from other games I can use as proxies for the standups, if I were to decide to buy Gloomhaven ...

Damn, this is a heavy freakin' box. Nearly wished for a dolly to wheel it out to my car. Looks like I'm cancelling my pledges for the Nemesis and Triplanetary kickstarters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tertius Gaudens
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
◉, ◉
badge
◉ ,◉
mbmbmbmbmb
Be sure to lift with your legs... I'm playing my first session on Friday and I'm super excited about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Martin
Canada
north bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
and you actually get two games in one! The first is obvious, the second and more immediate one is a spatial puzzle game about tokens, cards, and boxes, and how to fit and organize them most efficiently! It's truly excellent 5outof5 but the downside is that it is a time sink if you truly delve into it. Also, it often requires external extra-game items like foam boards, knives and printers, which can be a turnoff to some.

Oh and I'll have to give my thoughts on the Gloomhaven game itself when I get to playing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serohs Nightblade
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
I called my FLGS today and they have 2 left. Picking up a copy tomorrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
House of Cards
United States
Abingdon
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
FYI - That's how Aaron Rodgers really hurt his shoulder. Lifting that box. Football had nothing to do with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gates
United States
Essex
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
theseventensplit wrote:
and you actually get two games in one! The first is obvious, the second and more immediate one is a spatial puzzle game about tokens, cards, and boxes, and how to fit and organize them most efficiently! It's truly excellent 5outof5 but the downside is that it is a time sink if you truly delve into it. Also, it often requires external extra-game items like foam boards, knives and printers, which can be a turnoff to some.

Oh and I'll have to give my thoughts on the Gloomhaven game itself when I get to playing it.

You're not kidding. I'm reluctant to take anything out of the box (other than the rules) until I have a free weekend. I haven't even found the miniatures yet. I figure they're in those little white boxes ... (yup).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMHO, hype is when someone is trying to sell you something. In over 50 years of playing boardgames and about a thousand different games played, GH is the best I've played. That's a simple fact, though of course, other opinions are available.

With regard to combat, the GH system is sooo much better than chucking dice, but of course if you like dice, maybe not so. Personal taste is at least 50% of any opinion. Aside from that, the monster AI system is very cool. You can never make assumptions about when they will act or what they will do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gates
United States
Essex
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
philmcd wrote:
IMHO, hype is when someone is trying to sell you something. In over 50 years of playing boardgames and about a thousand different games played, GH is the best I've played. That's a simple fact, though of course, other opinions are available.

With regard to combat, the GH system is sooo much better than chucking dice, but of course if you like dice, maybe not so. Personal taste is at least 50% of any opinion. Aside from that, the monster AI system is very cool. You can never make assumptions about when they will act or what they will do.

I like what I've read in the rulebook so far, concerning combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gert van Bruggen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
milgate wrote:
... and there sat a copy of Gloomhaven, in all its two-and-
But there it sat. And it is one impressive-looking, heavy box (are the minis made of metal? Just how thick are the mapboards, anyway?). But I'm already pledging the Nemesis kickstarter, and the Triplanetary kickstarter, and the Batman: Gotham City Chronicles kickstarter should be launching next month. On the other hand , the combat system does sound very tactical, and I'm getting tired of dungeon crawls with area movement, where you just move all your figures into a zone and start rolling dice. I like tactical combat where positioning matters. And, well, there's gotta be a reason so many people are enthusiastic for this game, and apparently the second printing has already sold out ... and I have hundreds of monster minis from other games I can use as proxies for the standups, if I were to decide to buy Gloomhaven ...

If u like Dice and Tactical Combat where positioning matters the i can also Advice Too Many Bones Lots and lots of dice 120+ but even if u roll a miss u can mostly still use the result for your backup plan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciej Stępiński
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh no, you found the best game according to BGG for a really good price locally so you had to buy it because... because... reasons. Poor you. I would give you a hug to make you feel better, but I won't because you don't deserve it.

First world problems, sheesh...

Quote:
And I like rolling dice; I like that a low-odds attack could succeed, or there could be a chance of a whiff on an almost sure thing.

Sounds like something a person that never used an attack modifier deck would say. That's okay, I was sceptical too, until we won a scenario strictly because attacking monsters pulled -2 and null one after the other, allowing me to survive just long enough to win. It's not THAT different than a bucket of dice, except that you can influence some part of it. It's like a d20 die that you can add, remove, change sides to. Lemme put it this way- you've seen dice chucking games plenty of times. This, on the other hand, is something way different, and for novelty alone it deserves a look into.

And don't even get me started on the REST of the game (yes, I'm a fan)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Y.
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too like rolling dice.

But I gotta say, the attack deck is pretty much better.

I love that you get to modify it over time. Such a simple yet awesome concept.

I love that even if you get the null result, you still get to apply effects (I absolutely hate the complete miss in games).

The deck is just such a great concept that I’m sold on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jettosan wrote:
It's like a d20 die that you can add, remove, change sides to. Lemme put it this way- you've seen dice chucking games plenty of times. This, on the other hand, is something way different, and for novelty alone it deserves a look into.

It's way more interesting than even what you outlined. With a deck, it remembers what you "rolled" previously, and so over the course of a game it evens out. It's not perfect because of the 2x and Null causing shuffles. But it's way less swingy than a D20 that could roll sub 10s for an entire night...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kip Kwiatkowski
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Stop it! That tickles! :P
mbmbmbmbmb
One of us, one of us....

Welcome!

As for the Dice issue, initially the deck is exactly like rolling a die in D&D with a good DM.

There are 20 cards, containing 1 critical miss and 1 critical hit. The modifiers on the card then simulate the rolling of your weapon dice, and the base damage on the ATTACK action you played further simulate the type of weapon you use (Example: Barbarian character does a generally higher base attack than the Rogue character).

The DM would then handle any of the fiddly bits like "you were cursed so your attacks have a 1/X chance of missing".

The fun part about the modifier deck is the character perks. You can "Replace one -1 with one +1", which simulates getting a Mastercraft weapon, or gaining Str. Or adding in Rolling Modifiers, which simulates getting the skill "Stunning Blow" or being able to elementally infuse an attack.

This is all handled natively and organically without the need for special math, probability, skill use tracking, or a DM.

Anyways.... The combat is pretty cool, there is a lot of tactical positioning. For example there is a character that gets bonuses if allies are next to a monster, while there is another that does damage to all surrounding allies and monsters. The way initiative is done there is a nice element of "think on your feet", and last minute restrategizing.

I'm glad you decided to pick it up. One word of advice though, you WILL want to play again, or with a different group. Get the removable sticker set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
milgate wrote:
And I like rolling dice; I like that a low-odds attack could succeed, or there could be a chance of a whiff on an almost sure thing.

Yep, that happens in Gloomhaven too, just without the dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Bracht

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Due to resources and the voice of reason (the better half of my marriage) I lost out on the second kickstarter for Gloomhaven AND 7th Continent. Oh well, bummed out and moving on with life my collection continued to grow with other exciting games that could be afforded. Yesterday I went into my own “Crack Dealer” to buy the much awaited France/Old West expansion for Ticket to Ride (again the better half wanted it). Walked in, did my normal TEXAS greeting and was bummed out by his response. While excepting the fate and about to leave empty handed the sounds of a sirens song came from the rear of the store... “We do have 1 Gloomhaven left though.” I turned and began walking to the sound not quite understanding why my body was doing what it was doing. I found the voice of a large harry man whose odor was that of aged fish standing next to a box that had a heavenly glow. It was indeed the coveted holy grail that had excaped my grasp so long ago. My hand had a mind of its own as if something was controlling it and reached for my wallet. When the plastic was removed from the worn leather and placed in the sirens hand the voice of reason “dinged” from my pocket as if it knew what was occurring. I decided to praise this voice and beg of its mercy. The voice took pity on me and gave it’s blessing. After completing my financial journey I grasped the light and realized that it was going to take everything in my power to lift it from its perch. After multiple attempts, and now a bulging disk, I took the light to my carriage and fled this wicked place of ill repute. While fleeing the area I could hear the sounds of the next victim walking in saying “Wow they have Gloomhaven!?”... Unbeknownst to the next desperate soul, his journey would only end in despair. Thank the gods, I have escaped with a Gloomhaven of mine own!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kip Kwiatkowski
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TexasRain wrote:
Due to resources and the voice of reason (the better half of my marriage) I lost out on the second kickstarter for Gloomhaven AND 7th Continent. Oh well, bummed out and moving on with life my collection continued to grow with other exciting games that could be afforded. Yesterday I went into my own “Crack Dealer” to buy the much awaited France/Old West expansion for Ticket to Ride again the better half wanted it). Walked in, did my normal TEXAS greeting and was bummed out by his response. While excepting the fate and about to leave emptied handed the sounds of a sirens song came from the rear of the store... “We do have 1 Gloomhaven left though.” I turned and began walking to the sound not quite understanding why my body was doing what it was doing. I found the voice of a large harry man whose odor was that of aged fish standing next to a box that had a heavenly glow. It was indeed the coveted holy grail that had excaped my grasp so long ago. My hand had a mind of its own as if something was controlling it and reached for my wallet. When the plastic was removed from my wallet and placed in the sirens hand the voice of reason “dinged” from my pocket as if it knew what was occurring to me. I decided to praise this voice and beg of its mercy. The voice took pity on me and gave it’s blessing. After completing my financial journey I grasped the light and realized that it was going to take everything in my power to lift it from its perch. After multiple attempts, and a now a bulging disk, I took the light to my carriage and fled this wicked place of ill repute. While fleeing the area I could hear the sounds of the next victim walking in saying “Wow they have Gloomhaven!?”... unbeknownst to the next desperate sole, his luck would only end in despair. Thank the gods, I have escaped with a Gloomhaven of mine own!

Congrats!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot Rose
United States
South Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I probably have 80-100 hours into Zombicide: Black Plague and Massive Darkenss over 15 months. As much as I like dice, I've put them away (probably until I get Green Hordes). I've given Descent to a friend. In the past 30 days, I've played on 18 of the days for about 60 hours.

Most of my campaign dungeon crawling is done as a solo gamer. I do use a tablet for monster management, which reduces some of the fiddly piece management. The fiddly stuff is fine when there are other players to help manage it. This is a strategic puzzle game that I really enjoy by myself, but playing with friends puts it over the top. Strategically planning is so much fun, especially when your teammates may have ulterior motives, or when the initiative throws a wrench in the careful planning.

The entertainment value has been well worth the investment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
mbmbmbmbmb
milgate wrote:
...Looks like I'm cancelling my pledges for the Nemesis... kickstarters.

Yaaay! Down with Nemesis!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serohs Nightblade
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Talason wrote:
I called my FLGS today and they have 2 left. Picking up a copy tomorrow.

Just picked mine up! I did pay premium. I knew it would be up front. the only FLGS around here is 50+ miles from any major city. Most of the people who frequent it are MTG buyers/players. So even though they originally had 4 copies they have 1 left as most people around here pay it no attention. Rather they will drive (Me as well) 50 miles south and hit CoolStuff, or SciFi city in Orlando.

Their markup on boardgames can be a bit steep as they have to keep their doors open. It evens out though over the holidays they have a scratch/dent/demo board game sale and I have picked up Zombicide/Arcadia Quest/D&D, and more board games for 19.99 a pop. A couple were not even open, just "dented box" from shipping. Anyway they wanted 150.00 for it. I gratefully paid.

P.S. Didn't take pic. It is gently resting locked up in the back seat of my car till I get off work.

Might have a discussion about it with the wifey LOL, but if she leaves it leaves more room for board games. ( I am kidding!)

I am not sure if they would ship, but they do have one copy left, but 150.00 is the price. 7% is local tax here, and then there would be shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gates
United States
Essex
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jettosan wrote:
Oh no, you found the best game according to BGG for a really good price locally so you had to buy it because... because... reasons. Poor you. I would give you a hug to make you feel better, but I won't because you don't deserve it.

First world problems, sheesh...

Quote:

Sounds like something a person that never used an attack modifier deck would say. That's okay, I was sceptical too, until we won a scenario strictly because attacking monsters pulled -2 and null one after the other, allowing me to survive just long enough to win. It's not THAT different than a bucket of dice, except that you can influence some part of it. It's like a d20 die that you can add, remove, change sides to. Lemme put it this way- you've seen dice chucking games plenty of times. This, on the other hand, is something way different, and for novelty alone it deserves a look into.

And don't even get me started on the REST of the game (yes, I'm a fan)

Hold on - there were hugs in play, and I missed out? Now I am disappointed.

Besides, didn't you read what was said earlier in this thread? This game ruined the Packers' season! Now I'm reduced to rooting for a team I just don't like (the Eagles) to beat a team I detest (the Patriots). If that's not deserving of a consoling hug, I don't know what is.

Seriously, what I was kinda going for here, is how I twice passed on the Gloomhaven kickstarters (even initially pledged the second kickstarter, then dropped it), and I had no intention of buying the game online. But finding the game in my FLGS, actually holding the game in my hands, it just looked too darn good to not buy. That, and the enthusiasm y'all have shown, swayed me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gates
United States
Essex
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kgk4569 wrote:
One of us, one of us....

Welcome!

As for the Dice issue, initially the deck is exactly like rolling a die in D&D with a good DM.

There are 20 cards, containing 1 critical miss and 1 critical hit. The modifiers on the card then simulate the rolling of your weapon dice, and the base damage on the ATTACK action you played further simulate the type of weapon you use (Example: Barbarian character does a generally higher base attack than the Rogue character).

The DM would then handle any of the fiddly bits like "you were cursed so your attacks have a 1/X chance of missing".

The fun part about the modifier deck is the character perks. You can "Replace one -1 with one +1", which simulates getting a Mastercraft weapon, or gaining Str. Or adding in Rolling Modifiers, which simulates getting the skill "Stunning Blow" or being able to elementally infuse an attack.

This is all handled natively and organically without the need for special math, probability, skill use tracking, or a DM.

Anyways.... The combat is pretty cool, there is a lot of tactical positioning. For example there is a character that gets bonuses if allies are next to a monster, while there is another that does damage to all surrounding allies and monsters. The way initiative is done there is a nice element of "think on your feet", and last minute restrategizing.

I'm glad you decided to pick it up. One word of advice though, you WILL want to play again, or with a different group. Get the removable sticker set.

It was actually the description I read (by someone who didn't like the game) of combat being a matter of "puzzle solving" which made me wary. But I like that the board uses HEXES (as opposed to areas), so positioning matters, and I see that "puzzle-solving" should have been described as "tactical decision-making."

And, heck, living on soup and bread for a while, and waiting for Nemesis to hit retail, is worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kip Kwiatkowski
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
milgate wrote:

And, heck, living on soup and bread for a while, and waiting for Nemesis to hit retail, is worth it.

Depends on the soup....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John B
United States
Mountain view
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i was at my FLGS yesterday and noted the game on display. It's selling for MSRP and they mentioned they had a couple more. Not flying off the shelves, so I wonder if the frenzy is over?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan E.

Lawrence
Kansas
msg tools
mbmbmb
One of our local FLGSes has a couple copies, but at $180 I'm not even considering it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kip Kwiatkowski
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
johnb4bgg wrote:
i was at my FLGS yesterday and noted the game on display. It's selling for MSRP and they mentioned they had a couple more. Not flying off the shelves, so I wonder if the frenzy is over?

Depends on the local gaming community and the clientelle. If the area is mainly a 40k area, you may not get much intrest.

Plus Gloomhaven is an intimidating game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.