Arkham Horror
Eldritch Horror
Darkest Night
Shadows Over Brimstone
Aeon's End
Shadowrift
Defenders of the Realm
Perdition's Mouth

From a strictly gameplay standpoint does Dreams & Shadows bring anything new or different to the table than any of the above? Any reason I would choose to play it over these others which I already have in my collection?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Felts
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not for me. Eldritch Horror is by far the top of this heap and I have no desire to own or play the others over it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
picklethehutt wrote:
Not for me. Eldritch Horror is by far the top of this heap and I have no desire to own or play the others over it.

So you haven't actually played Dreams & Shadows then? I'm specifically soliciting feedback from those who have and can speak to what makes it unique, if anything, apart from theme and presentation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Severí Vinyoles

Barcelona
Catalonia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that it does not bring anything new from a strictly mechanical point of view. You move around a map, you collect things, you equip weapons, etc. That said, the greatest point of the game is the very consistent and suggestive world (never seen before in a board game), and the narrative cards, which allow meaningful decisions in terms of narrative. It is a game tense and immersive, but not innovative from a gameplay point of view.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Felts
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NuMystic wrote:
picklethehutt wrote:

So you haven't actually played Dreams & Shadows then? I'm specifically soliciting feedback from those who have and can speak to what makes it unique, if anything, apart from theme and presentation.

I have played Dreams and Shadows and it doesn't do anything special for me. I vastly prefer Eldritch Horror.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Yang
Canada
Woodbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if the other games have story cards like this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Kenlon
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
Haven't played any others you listed but the story is what makes the game for me. Not the type of game I typically play but it'll still hit my table once in a while I'm sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
deadeyedshooter8 wrote:
I don't know if the other games have story cards like this game.

Can you expand on what the story cards are and how they set the game apart from the others?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Preisman
Canada
flag msg tools
Hey,

I'm Steve, the graphic designer/producer of the game (and buddies with Gordon, the creator).

So at the end of each round, each player picks up a world or quest scenario card (someone else actually picks it up and reads it to you) with stories, decisions and tests on them. These stories are much longer and more elaborate than those in most other board games (if not all of them).

There are over 100 of these cards and if you put them all together, you've got a small novella's worth of story! Plus there's even more story in the story manual included. And Gordon (who wrote them) is super smart, has a ton of fantasy knowledge, and put a lot of care into writing each one. He also wanted to paint the larger story of this game's world, which is very tricky considering you don't know what story cards you'll get or what order you'll read them in.

I think that's what makes it great.

Here's a link to my site (if you scroll down you'll see a close-up of a Quest Scenario card called "Blood Queen"): http://stevenpreisman.com/of-Dreams-Shadows
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.