Subject: Impassable Terrain rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Ewing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules state (pg 11) HE Units may enter "Im" hexes as normal
....but the M3 Scout Car is listed as Light Armor (which may not enter an Impassable hex) but it also has the HE target designation. Could it be that this vehicle is an exception to the rule?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Adams
United States
Norridge
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I take that rule to mean that vehicles cannot enter the hex.
Due to the terrain only solders on foot may enter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Logs
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From pg 11:

An “Im” in a hex designates Impassable
Terrain. AP Units (Armor, Light Armor, Tank,
Halftrack, or Armored Car) may not enter an
Impassable hex. Impassable hexes add 2 to
a Unit’s Defense, and Block Line of Sight.
HE Units may enter “Im” hexes as normal.

[My highlight]

Seems clear to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Ewing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess the fact that the M3 Scout is an HE unit caused me to question the rule. I believe it's the only unit card that has the split characteristics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Logs
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yah, I understand better now, wasn't looking at specific M3 card. HE Trucks are OK? I vote all HE is OK at this point and only the listed AP types are restricted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Ewing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's kinda what I'm thinking too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Logs
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blame it all on armor ground pressure/sq inch!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Megee
United States
Edgewater Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ncree wrote:
Yah, I understand better now, wasn't looking at specific M3 card. HE Trucks are OK? I vote all HE is OK at this point and only the listed AP types are restricted.

I am not so sure I agree about this... At that point, then I would guess that an Artillery unit could technically be towed behind the Scout Car.whistle

See what I mean? Anyway, the PDF (latest) rules do NOT have that sentence; HE Units may enter "Im" hexes as normal So I am going to assume it means NO Vehicles. Think of it as a bog... where any vehicle wouldn't be able to drive through, but a soldier would be able to walk through. At least that is how I had played it, and of course this is my opinion.

I think that the paper rulebook is slightly different than the PDF version on DVG website.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Reece
United States
Post Falls
ID
flag msg tools
I’ve been playing as no vehicles. Makes more sense to me that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Ewing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
James, the HE sentence is there when I went to check the PDF this morning. Bottom right column pg11. Is there another PDF?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Megee
United States
Edgewater Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John Ewing wrote:
James, the HE sentence is there when I went to check the PDF this morning. Bottom right column pg11. Is there another PDF?

I just went back to DVG just NOW and found the rulebook that you have and downloaded it. This one is called "Rulebook for Sarah". The other one I have is called Sherman_Rulebook (Latest). YOU are correct, the DVG sites rulebook does say that on the bottom of page 11. I am just going to assume that the rulebook I have was one of those that were made during the "Design" phase of the game and NOT the "official" one. I am now discarding my pdf file and keeping this "new" one.

So, in conclusion, your PDF and the one on DVG now is the latest rulebook. I'm glad I have that figured out.

Although... I (personally) still wouldn't use the HE Command Car in a Im Hex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Ewing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the sake of simplicity, I think I will just say no vehicles can enter Im hexes...Until DVG responds here and tells us we are wrong of course
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Verssen
United States
Glendora
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
Sorry about the confusion. I'll make an errata note. Remove the "HE" sentence. No vehicles may enter "IM" hexes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Megee
United States
Edgewater Park
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DanVerssen wrote:
Sorry about the confusion. I'll make an errata note. Remove the "HE" sentence. No vehicles may enter "IM" hexes.

Great! it makes more sense that way too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Logs
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't forget that trucks are not AP and not listed either. Need to declare no vehicles and not just remove HE statement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Reece
United States
Post Falls
ID
flag msg tools
ncree wrote:
Don't forget that trucks are not AP and not listed either. Need to declare no vehicles and not just remove HE statement.

Dan Verssen of Dan Verssen Games (DVG) just made it clear a few posts above. No vehicles may enter IM hexes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Logs
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I understood the ruling answer, was clarifying for errata purposes that just removing the HE statement was not enough. It didn't say remove HE statement and add no vehicles statement. Could have meant "remove HE statement" and that is enough for no vehicle movement intent. Just making sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.