Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Bollen
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my friends just asked me if I knew of any good "solo tabletop RPGs in the sci-fi space opera realm". I don't know of many RPGs, let alone solo ones (though I'm going to ask over at RPGGeek after this).

But I was wondering if there were any legacy/campaign or similarly long-form games that might work solo with a space opera genre? Instead of an entire RPG module? Any suggestions are much appreciated.

This is the first I've heard of my friend's interest in tabletop games, although he did enjoy Pandemic when we played it years ago. I'd love to introduce this guy to BGG.

Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it's not a narratively-driven "legacy" or "RPG", but Talon is a game of tactical space fleet combat which comes with a campaign mode and the upcoming Talon 1000 expansion is supposed to incorporate a well-developed AI opponent, which could presumably be incorporated into a solo campaign.

Star Wars: Imperial Assault is built around campaign play and just released an app to able cooperative play, which could of course be done solo. Dunno how the app integrates with a campaign.

First Martians: Adventures on the Red Planet supports solo campaign play out of the box and even includes a legacy campaign. But it's a bit more "hard scifi" than "space opera".

Star Trek: Frontiers is supposed to be a great solo "adventure" game, but I think it is more scenario-based than campaign-like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B B

Baldwin City
KS
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Battlestations: Second Edition

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
saad1000 wrote:

Doesn't that one require an "overlord" player?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Shaw
United Kingdom
Fleet
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Too many games, too little time
mbmbmbmbmb
Xia: Legends of a Drift System with the Xia: Embers of a Forsaken Star expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denmark
flag msg tools
I backed Ironclad recently, it looks interesting and is relatively cheap, so not a great risk. It's still open for late pledges.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B B

Baldwin City
KS
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wamsp wrote:
saad1000 wrote:

Doesn't that one require an "overlord" player?

I've never played it solo but the designer says there are rules to play it solo. It looks like most people feel it's not great that way though.

So thank you for clarifying that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.