Recommend
6 
 Thumb up
 Hide
31 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Splendor» Forums » General

Subject: Black, not brown... seriously! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Korfmann
United States
Wilson
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
What's the deal with people who refer to the dark colored gem as brown? It's clearly black. The chips are black, the symbols on the cards are black, everything is black. If you insist on going by the color you perceive on the picture, why not refer to the white chips/cards as "clear". #checkmate #truthmatters #itsblacknotbrown
shake yuk
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Love
United States
Kingwood
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
I’ve played with people who called it “chocolate”.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Stewart
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lawrencelove wrote:
I’ve played with people who called it “chocolate”.


IT ME

(And my entire gaming group.)
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
ckorfmann wrote:
What's the deal with people who refer to the dark colored gem as brown? It's clearly black.

Seems to be a tiny proportion of players -- I only find a few hits for "brown" in this sense in a forum search, and I've never heard it in real life or even noticed it until you brought it up.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian
Germany
Hürth
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
I won an Games for Geekgold Lottery with 0.09% Chance of winning. You sure you wanna mess with me?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
They're playing it wrong.

In the rules it clearly says under components "7 Onyx tokens (black)" which is 100% correctly translated from the French original "7 jetons onyx (noir)".

There is no brown in this game.
The rules are absolutely clear about it. Don't play with people calling it brown. They deliberately break the rules. Who knows what the cook up next in their crazy heads!








cool



10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Nash
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That's what I love about BGG. People always care about the important things in life.

#BlackGemsMatter
21 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I call it Onyx and I get grief all the time for not just calling it black...
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Olivier, Sr.
United States
North Smithfield
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I say it's black. Diane calls it brown.

Comedian Jeff Allen noted that before he got married, his dad gave him this piece of advice. "You'll have to choose...you can be right, or you can be happy".

Yes dear, it's brown.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Boggs
United States
Louisville
KY
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lawrencelove wrote:
I’ve played with people who called it “chocolate”.


I usually call it black, but once in a while for fun I refer to it as Chocolate... Depends on how hungry I am when playing.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
ckorfmann wrote:
What's the deal with people who refer to the dark colored gem as brown? It's clearly black.

Seems to be a tiny proportion of players -- I only find a few hits for "brown" in this sense in a forum search, and I've never heard it in real life or even noticed it until you brought it up.
I play with someone who insists it is brown.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Dewald
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm jumping in. We played this just yesterday between my wife and I. I have played with several people including her who call it brown. I was like look at it, does it look brown to you?

It cracks me up how many people call it brown. Maybe because its not stark black or something. I dont know.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Flycough
msg tools
Me and my 9 YO call it chocolate lol. The image on the chip looks like a piece of See's candy.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katie Grace
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
russ wrote:
ckorfmann wrote:
What's the deal with people who refer to the dark colored gem as brown? It's clearly black.

Seems to be a tiny proportion of players -- I only find a few hits for "brown" in this sense in a forum search, and I've never heard it in real life or even noticed it until you brought it up.
I play with someone who insists it is brown.


That's because it is brown!!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Stewart
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Por que no los dos? Chip is black, gemstone is brown.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ashburn
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The dress is WHITE and GOLD dammit!!!

And the gems are clearly BLACK.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
OverEngineered wrote:
The dress is WHITE and GOLD dammit!!!

And the gems are clearly BLACK.
I agree the chip is black. The dress is clearly blue and black though.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar daros
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My husband calls it chocolate & it drives me crazy!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Riddell
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Clearly there are two types of gamers responding to this most pivotal issue ...
those that say black and those that are wrong.

Seriously though, the gem is an onyx that is somewhat translucent against a beige-ish background. Just because it picks up a little color from the background doesn't mean it is brown.

However... after reading this thread and regardless of what I've said above, I will definitely call the black chips chocolate from now on and milk (chocolate) it for all its metagaming possibilities. With this distracting argument in the mix maybe I'll win this game once in a while.

Thanks, I needed a cause that I could really get behind today.
2 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Soto
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
I call it Onyx and I get grief all the time for not just calling it black...


But, that's the thematic name for it, Mortego! (In all honesty, I always teach Splendor as thematic that I can, so I always refer to the chips to their gems, though I don't outright try to correct people that call it by the chip color)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vedrana B
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I call it smoky quartz because it looks like that to me.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Banner
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cayca wrote:
I call it smoky quartz because it looks like that to me.


But is it brown smoke or black?

(Sorry, I couldn't help myself.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Stewart
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
coil23 wrote:
Cayca wrote:
I call it smoky quartz because it looks like that to me.


But is it brown smoke or black?

(Sorry, I couldn't help myself.)


"Ensign, fetch me my brown smoke pants!"
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor James
United Kingdom
Norwich, Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My neighbour insists on black. I know that onyx is black. The rules state that it is black. But what I perceive is brown so this is what I call it sometimes. Does it really matter? We still enjoy the game and have great fun. Alleluya!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bcoot9 wrote:
My neighbour insists on black. I know that onyx is black. The rules state that it is black. But what I perceive is brown so this is what I call it sometimes. Does it really matter?
I dunno. Does being wrong matter?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor James
United Kingdom
Norwich, Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a male, ergo I'm never wrong!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.