6 Posts

Dominion» Forums » Rules

Subject: Changeling & non-Supply cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
It is permissible to trash a Changeling to gain a card you have in play that is not considered "in the Supply", such as a Bat or an Imp? What about Magic Lamp or Pasture? The wording in the Kingdom Card Notes section of the instructions seems to imply you may, as it reads:

"When you play Changeling, you trash it and gain a copy of a card you have in play; that can be any card you have in play, including Actions, Treasures, and Night cards, and including Duration cards you played on a previous turn that are still in play." (emphasis added)

It would seem so, as Bat is a Night card, and Imp is an Action card - but neither are considered "in the Supply" as clearly indicated on themselves, and typically one cannot "Gain" such cards. Similarly, while neither Magic Lamp nor Pasture have this explicitly written on them, they don't even have piles, but are both Treasure cards. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No. Changeling can only gain cards from the Supply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusing Manifestation
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure that you can *choose* any card you have in play, but that you only gain a copy of it if it's in the Supply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the rulebooks should cover it. Unless otherwise specified, gaining a card must be from Supply. On a similar note, I DO remember in base game, gaining a card always goes into your discard pile unless otherwise specified (e.g. Mine.... ___ gain a card, putting it into your hand).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Newton
United Kingdom
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
In the interest of giving credit where credit is due, my avatar is a scan of a hand-drawn caricature by cartoonist Jim Naylor which was done at my company's 20th anniversary dinner.
mbmbmbmbmb
The key thing here (in case you're still wondering why) is that "Gain" always means gain from the Supply unless stated otherwise - this is part of the basic game rules.

Changeling does not state otherwise, which is why it can only gain cards from the Supply.

As conmanau said you can, in various situations, try to gain a card that is not in the Supply but that gain will fail to happen (in the same way that trying to gain a card whose Supply pile is empty will fail to happen).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More than you want to know: http://wiki.dominionstrategy.com/index.php/Changeling

The card pages on that wiki have a section called "Other rules clarifications" where things like this are collected. I find it a great resource.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.