8 Posts

Mythos» Forums » Variants

Subject: Co-op variant? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sorg UR
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With all the hype around Arkham Horror: The Card Game, some fellow gamers became interested in this game, but since one of their main aspects is the ability of co-op, I thought I would better ask it here.

There are official rules for solo play, as well as a couple of unofficial variants, and since most games with the option of playing solo can usually be played or easily adapted into co-op, I was wondering if anyone ever came up with such a variant?
Given that the game is designed to be played competitive, the whole "Cosmic Battle" part of it might be difficult to alter, I reckon, but then again, seems like the solo variants manage to utilize the "Threat" modifications pretty well...

Ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest
United States
Mclean
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
sorgur wrote:
With all the hype around Arkham Horror: The Card Game, some fellow gamers became interested in this game, but since one of their main aspects is the ability of co-op, I thought I would better ask it here.

There are official rules for solo play, as well as a couple of unofficial variants, and since most games with the option of playing solo can usually be played or easily adapted into co-op, I was wondering if anyone ever came up with such a variant?
Given that the game is designed to be played competitive, the whole "Cosmic Battle" part of it might be difficult to alter, I reckon, but then again, seems like the solo variants manage to utilize the "Threat" modifications pretty well...

Ideas?

I would recommend playing Mythos. You will discover it is not a highly competitive game. It is storytelling- telling your adventures into the unknown. Yes, there are some aspects that are 'competitive,' such as phobias and threats that are necessary to telling many adventures. Even in Arkham Horror card game, you have to battle threats and negatives.

Maybe, if you want to remove the key 'competitive' component, you could try something like all threats are combined in the center for a cosmic battle against all investigators. All investigators have to battle the threat together, decide if a player should sacrifice their allies to block, divvy up among the players any sanity loss of unblocked monsters, and bury the monster in the story deck of the player who played it. (just a thought, haven't tried it)

I find a majority of my decks have few monsters- just enough to tell my story.

It is true that one could play Mythos competitively- four copies of Unexpected Calamities, directed threats to low sanity person (or at high sanity person about to win so their adventure+sanity total is below yours), remove a key card from a player's story deck, but if your friends are looking for a more social game, then have them play more socially (and ban or restrict An Unexpected Calamity). And at the end of a game, don't worry about adventure or sanity points, but rather make sure every player got to play at least one adventure and tell their story.

Mythos is a puzzle game- you have to get all the right pieces into place to complete stories. Most pieces (cards) require another piece already in play.

This might be only one person's take. I am curious, if other Mythos players find Mythos to be a highly competitive game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin W
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
stemplar wrote:

This might be only one person's take. I am curious, if other Mythos players find Mythos to be a highly competitive game.

I did play in some Mythos tournaments when the game was at its height, it was a lot of fun but very intense! You are right, in that environment cards like Unexpected Calamity and Yithian Mental Contact see a lot of play, as do cards which discard (Sphere of Nath, Cthulhu Rising) or cause direct SAN loss. Using spells and artifacts during combat is really helpful too and cards like Fly, summon / control spells etc come into their own then. Raising your SAN to 20 while driving down others' and potentially preventing them from playing a final adventure is another strategy. Low-discard adventurers or oddities like the Hobo are also useful.

Personally I think Mythos is best played as a 4-player competitive game but I can see the appeal of a co-op variant. If I could change one thing in the whole game it would have to be the passing mechanism though, as early passing and UC does tend to be frustrating. Maybe tying passing to an investigator's hand size max or something would work (i.e. can't pass if you have more cards in hand than the max).

R.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin W
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
sorgur wrote:

Ideas?

And to answer the original question - I don't know of any rulesets to support co-op play and I suspect you might have to change the game quite a bit to get it to work. I might have a look at how the solo variants work again.

R.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sorg UR
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay guys, thanks for the comments and ideas!
I didn't have much time since then to try things, but I guess we could find out some solutions, even if doing so would take a lot of changes.
The game itself definitely has the potential in it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The game can range from cutthroat to reasonably competitive - depending on players and startegies.

It is most cutthroat when using elimination - particularly in two player.

Deck design and player attitude can make it much less cutthroat.

When I play, I supply a sleection of preconstructed decks. Players are not eliminated ddue to sanity loss. We sometimes use a house rule that threats must be directed at the strongest player, and/or that players may opt to take on a particular threat. We sometimes play to a time limit, so we can score what we have when time runs out, rather than waiting for one player to complete enough adventures to trigger scoring. You an also play to the point where the group hits a certain value of completed adventures, and then score (or not).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sorg UR
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm... never tried it with more than 2.
Maybe that's why it always felt competitive (to a certain degree).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forrest
United States
Mclean
VA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Robin and JoeDogBoy bring up some good suggestions.

Robin clearly has played more competitively.

I run Mythos at Origins and GenCon and usually there are 2-3 players who have never played before, so our games tend to be more instructive and social. We use decks that have been pre-built with a more social focus. The players tend to enjoy that.

Although, if I was playing against Robin, I do have a few tournament decks that would do pretty well. cool

Sorg's comment about not ending when a player loses all their sanity is an interesting one. I have toyed with similar thoughts- much like in Arkham Horror boardgame or Eldritch Horror boardgame, I was thinking a player could 'jump back in' with a new investigator/deck? and game could continue, but I hadn't fleshed that out.

Since I do play with inexperienced players, I like to make sure each player gets at least one Adventure out before the game ends so they get the experience of telling a story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.