BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Will Wheaton rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: male_feminist [+] [View All]
B Rod
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I've seen several people state that Will Wheaton is leaving Tabletop.

Is this true? Why?

And does he own the Tabletop brand? Could someone else pick it up?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bongo_clive wrote:
I've seen several people state that Will Wheaton is leaving Tabletop.

Is this true? Why?

And does he own the Tabletop brand? Could someone else pick it up?

Don't know. Burnout. Nope, GeekNSundry got bought up by a big media company two-years or so back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny B
United States
California
flag msg tools
Geek & Sundry was bought out by Legendary Entertainment between seasons 3 & 4. They decided to put Tabletop only on their new pay streaming channel called Alpha. Episodes were released much later on YouTube. You can hear some of Wil's feelings on what happened on
Wil's stream of self-consciousness from his YouTube channel.

A lot more is discussed at here: Tabletop Season 5?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good. Not having tabletop (or at least with a less irritating host) is better for the hobby anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DonRaccoon
Scotland
Dundee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've no issues with Wil, I think Tabletop has done a lot for the hobby. Nice guy in person as well.

The decision to move it behind a paywall pretty much killed it though. I've never even bothered to look them up when they became available on YouTube.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith B
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tzer wrote:
Good. Not having tabletop (or at least with a less irritating host) is better for the hobby anyway.

A channel which has over a million viewers for some of its episodes is bad for the hobby?
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
texascpa wrote:
Tzer wrote:

A channel which has over a million viewers for some of its episodes is bad for the hobby?

I'm going to guess it's the wrong sort of crowd viewing the channel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodrigo Santos
Uruguay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Honestly I don't get the hate on Tabletop or Will... personally I got into the hobby thanks to Tabletop.

I think it reaches a bigger casual crowd and exposes the fun on boardgames... for many, as I said myself included, is the first steps into a bigger world.

How can that be bad for the hobby?
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arlyn Janssen
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing like a little morning gatekeeping.

I wouldn't want those people enjoying what I enjoy. How would I be able to enjoy it anymore?
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Rod
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
johnnybbgfan wrote:
Geek & Sundry was bought out by Legendary Entertainment between seasons 3 & 4. They decided to put Tabletop only on their new pay streaming channel called Alpha. Episodes were released much later on YouTube. You can hear some of Wil's feelings on what happened on

robot

Damn, he's not happy.

What did his friend do to destroy the show?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Rod
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Also, the new host???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec Chapman
United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
Anyway, how's your sex life?
badge
"She said the same thing about waffles."
mbmbmbmbmb
More people playing games = more opportunities to play games = a good thing

However this happens I'm good with it. Clique protectionism can go hang.

Wil does get a lot of crap, either because he comes across as trying too hard and having fake fun (aka how anyone would look playing 15 games in three days on a TV Set) or because he's opinionated and doesn't hesitate to express these opinions even in a supposedly game related show.

Other than these things he is no more or less irritating than any other show presenter. I like him, but I can also understand how putting a monologue about how spiritualists are all charlatans at the top of your show about a board game could be jarring - whether or not I personally agree with him.

Tabletop is far from perfect. The show fizzled for me in the last couple of seasons because their choice of games seemed to really fail on several levels. I don't think the presenter is the main problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian
Switzerland
Bern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Screw the haters. I think with this Will Wheaton has managed to redeem both Wesley Crusher *and* his Big Bang Theory cameos. And that's saying something.

His loss will be felt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zlarp wrote:
Screw the haters. I think with this Will Wheaton has managed to redeem both Wesley Crusher *and* his Big Bang Theory cameos. And that's saying something.

His loss will be felt.

Agreed, I've enjoyed many of his episodes even when they covered games I'm not interested in, and the show has kept board games on some of my friends' minds even when I didn't feel like hassling them about it.

It's something to say when a filthy casual brings up a board game they've seen on a show they've watched on their own accord (Which has happened with different people, both friends who only know board gaming through me as well as students when they hear that I'm into board games), I can't for the life of me figure out how broadening our community is a bad thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flamin_Jesus wrote:
[q="Zlarp"]

It's something to say when a filthy casual...

"Filthy casual" ... that put a smile on my face today

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
crazybyzantine wrote:
Flamin_Jesus wrote:
[q="Zlarp"]

It's something to say when a filthy casual...

"Filthy casual" ... that put a smile on my face today

Gotta keep the rubes in their place, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
Favor Euros + Ameritrash, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Don't forget to have fun!
mbmbmbmbmb
Tzer wrote:

thumbsdown
*Outward Elitist attitudes are what’s bad for the hobby.
Let people like what they like as long as they’re not hurting others.

Edit: Added "outward". I dislike a fair share of mainstream-popular games but I really try to keep it to myself, and I even end up playing them still sometimes with new gamers who ask me to.
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
boardgamesdotEXE wrote:
Tzer wrote:

:thumbsdown:
Elitist attitudes are what’s bad for the hobby.

I'm an elitist but I agree with you.

There are lots of things I sneer at (party games, filler games, any games which involves lots of grins and chuckles, I like my games grim and painful) but I don't think they're bad for the hobby. Some people who play party games that I sneer at end up playing heavier games that I enjoy. It's all good.

I also don't get the Wil Wheaton hate. Ok, so he grates on you, fine, whatever. I don't exactly love his delivery but I like that he's covering games and bringing them to a wider audience. Unless he was doing something actually harmful, like lighting copies of Agricola on fire and dancing around them, I'm fine with him. It's all games, it's all good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
I don't know why anyone cares enough for it to matter.

skutsch wrote:
Unless he was doing something actually harmful, like lighting copies of Agricola on fire and dancing around them, I'm fine with him. It's all games, it's all good.

I had been looking for something to do this weekend. Now I've found it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dewi Hargreaves
United Kingdom
Cannock
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
johnnybbgfan wrote:

A genuinely touching video. I hope he finds a way to continue making media for board games, because I'll happily continue watching/reading it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
SuperGLS wrote:
I don't know why anyone cares enough for it to matter.

skutsch wrote:
Unless he was doing something actually harmful, like lighting copies of Agricola on fire and dancing around them, I'm fine with him. It's all games, it's all good.

I had been looking for something to do this weekend. Now I've found it!

Monster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
Favor Euros + Ameritrash, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Don't forget to have fun!
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
boardgamesdotEXE wrote:
Tzer wrote:

thumbsdown

There are lots of things I sneer at (party games, filler games, any games which involves lots of grins and chuckles, I like my games grim and painful) but I don't think they're bad for the hobby. Some people who play party games that I sneer at end up playing heavier games that I enjoy. It's all good.

I also don't get the Wil Wheaton hate. Ok, so he grates on you, fine, whatever. I don't exactly love his delivery but I like that he's covering games and bringing them to a wider audience. Unless he was doing something actually harmful, like lighting copies of Agricola on fire and dancing around them, I'm fine with him. It's all games, it's all good.

Okay, to expound a bit further - I'm certainly an elitist too, but I keep it to myself, at least in person and I try to not discuss my strongest dislikes on BGG unless the thread is asking. I think that's the key.

I'm a hater of the normal checklist too; Monopoly, CAH, Munchkin, Exploding Kittens, Catan, etc. etc. but if someone brand new to board games asked me to play them, I still would. Heck, I have friends who love games like Scythe, Caverna, and Acquire that still end up buying games like Pick Your Poison (not a game) and Pretending To Grownup (strategy is to draw well). I end up playing them and not telling them that I hated every minute of it, because ... well, that's rude. And it allows me to follow up with "if you like that you might like <game with actual strategy involved>" and it gets them further into the hobby.

And on the subject, I always thought Tabletop had a decent selection of games. Not amazing games or games I would pick myself, but it's not like they played a party game every episode. They played a lot of your standard gateway titles, which is a great way to get new people interested in the hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boardgamesdotEXE wrote:
skutsch wrote:
boardgamesdotEXE wrote:
Tzer wrote:

thumbsdown

Okay, to expound a bit further - I'm certainly an elitist too, but I keep it to myself. I think that's the key. I'm a hater of the normal checklist too; Monopoly, CAH, Munchkin, Exploding Kittens, Catan, etc. etc. but if someone brand new to board games asked me to play them, I still would. Heck, I have friends who love games like Scythe, Caverna, and Acquire that still end up buying games like Pick Your Poison (not a game) and Pretending To Grownup (strategy is to draw well). I end up playing them and not telling them that I hated every minute of it, because ... well, that's rude. And it allows me to follow up with "if you like that you might like <game with actual strategy involved>" and it gets them further into the hobby.

And on the subject, I always thought Tabletop had a decent selection of games. Not amazing games or games I would pick myself, but it's not like they played a party game every episode. They played a lot of your standard gateway titles, which is a great way to get new people interested in the hobby.

I mean, I'm enough of an elitist to just decline playing games that are just going to piss me off, but one way or the other, he pretty much never promoted terrible games, it's not like he used his platform to tell people how awesome Monopoly is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olli Juhala
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ipropose a new rule where if you use "filthy casual" or phrases with similar meaning unironically, you should be banned from the hobby for good of everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Tabletop was good for the hobby, and allowed me to forgive him for Wesley. However, nothing he does will absolve him for spelling his name Wil, with only one L.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.