Yang Ping
China
Zhenjiang
Jiangsu
flag msg tools
I am a Chinese gamer.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
< Kiev 1941: the largest battle of encirclement > is a typical war game designed by a Chinese Publisher – Banner of War Studio. Although it’s not a well-known publisher, the organizers as well as the designers of this game are famous in the war game community of China. <Kiev 1941> is a very successful war game from this studio, so I really would like to share a short review about this game.

1. Craftsmanship
The game includes one A3 foldable mounted map, 1 counter sheet total 77 pieces and 1 rulebook, all the stuff are packed by plastic films without box. No doubt it’s very plain, but the quality of all components is very good, the counters are thick and crisp, the mounted map can also compared with some international company’s product. The layout of the map is reasonable, TEC and CRT and reinforcement units are directly printed on the map which is so convenient for players that no extra table will be required, the color selection, icon selection of the map is considerate, even for layman they can still quickly grasp the meaning and terrain on the map.

2. Rulebook
The designers of this game are very experienced player of all sorts of war games, when referring to war games about Kiev, easily can we think of from VPG, although there is something similar between the 2 games, buy the Chinese designer had lots of their own originality. The rules are written straightforwardly, it’s very clear and easy for understanding. The rule starts with some basic concepts of war game, such as ZOC, OOS etc., then moves into the main body such as PHASE, MOVE, COMBAT, RALLY. This game includes total 4 scenarios: Gurderian’s Panic (Introductory), Object Kiev, Kiev Pocket, full scale Kiev, even for the largest one, the player can complete it within 1 hour. The rulebook also includes a Historic Situation Simulation by the game, which for me is very interesting, the designer just uses this game to show what happened in the real history, which increased the sense of submersion. Except some typos, this rulebook is acceptable.

3. Overview
<Kiev 1941> still adopts the classic UGIG system and normally the German Army holds the initiative. So each turn can be easily divided into German Round and Soviet Round, during both sides’ round, it can be further divided into reinforcement phase, move phase, combat phase, then at the end of the turn, both sides will conduct a rally and supply phase, then the next turn starts.

During the combat phase, the attacker and defender will get a sum of the combat units’ strength with the modification of terrain or unit skill, then get odd and roll dice to check the result in CRT, its vert traditional method of combat resolution.

The whole system is very fluid, although it’s simple, it has grasped the essence of the game. All the elements are traditional, but runs well, I had several plays with my no-wargamer friend, he can understand it quickly and enjoy this game. The final results is also well distributed, the German side won 1 game and lost 2 games, which made us really satisfactory about the game.

4. Conclusion
< Kiev 1941: the largest battle of encirclement > is a simple and decent introductory wargame, all the parts of the game, such as components, rules, fluid, replay value are very balanced, I really think that my Chinese wargame designers are getting better and proficiency gradually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus Blanchette
United States
Brooklyn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hooray for Chinese wargaming! Any clubs over there? Particularly in Jinan?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yang Ping
China
Zhenjiang
Jiangsu
flag msg tools
I am a Chinese gamer.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course, Sir. In my memory, there are lots of players of wargame and boardgame coming from Jinan, if you need, I can help you to find some friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks very similar to Objective: Kiev, even down to the CRT and ratings on most of the German units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
victor youth
China
flag msg tools
The same history, same level,so that similar games map and units.
But the core is totally different----the machine is important and different. and have two level rules for starter and expert.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, it certainly looks nice. There's a lot of interesting stuff coming out of China these days -- just wish they had English language translations of the rules available. soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shera wang
China
BeiJing
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, it's good game overview, looking forward to more Banner Of War wargames introduction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shera wang
China
BeiJing
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We are in Beijing, and the club is here, welcome to visit it. You can contact us by mail. bannerofwar@163.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus Blanchette
United States
Brooklyn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you! Next time I am headed to Jinan, I may take you up on that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R L Moses
China
flag msg tools
If Banner of War would post their rules in Chinese here, there are at least a few of us who'd be happy to help with translations. I own a number of the titles they sell, and they're very impressive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Breen
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does this game include the German panzer forces from Army Group Centre coming down from the North (plus the Army Gp South forces coming from the West) to encircle the Russian forces near Kiev from 7 August to 26 September 1941?

I.e. does the game actually simulate the real-life Kiev encirclement operation in August-September 1941 [see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Kiev_%281941%29]? I ask because few wargames currently actually simulate that massive encirclement event, and if "Kiev 1941" does simulate that event then that would be particularly good.

The game looks fun and interesting. Well done. Looking forward to more Chinese designs & English translations of the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.