Francesco
United Kingdom
Loughborough
flag msg tools
Selling Games Workshop miniatures due to lack of space: www.ebay.co.uk/usr/medieval_fantasy
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everybody,

I would like to kindly ask if somebody is discussing the game rules both on BGG and the main French forums for JoA, and which ones (French speaking users) should target in your opinion.

It seems to me there have been many BGG discussions on the game rules, but not enough feedbacks from MG on this forum or in the Kickstarter community for a while (I would say at least since the publication of the first version of the rules).

Thus, I am wondering if there is a "preferential" channel to reach MG (apart from trying with emails). The fact that the "Burgundy" faction was added makes me think that the French community (the biggest, after USA, during the campaign) has a quite big influence, since I don't remember many discussions on this faction on BGG or the KS community. A similar thing happened when French heroes were added in the last part of the campaign, "surpassing" the English ones.

Sure the Hundred Years' War is settled in France, and the game is called "Time of Legends: Joan of Arc", but I still have the feeling that MG maybe could be more open to discussions and feedback from the French community.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Bouin
France
flag msg tools
Hi Francesco,

We are still waiting for an official MG forum ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco
United Kingdom
Loughborough
flag msg tools
Selling Games Workshop miniatures due to lack of space: www.ebay.co.uk/usr/medieval_fantasy
mbmbmbmbmb
Merci beaucoup Alexandre.

Are you aware of an (unofficial) French forum where the game rules is already being discussed by many gamers? Which link you would you reccomend ?

Even if there is not an official forum, it is hard for me to believe there are no additional places, apart from BGG and KS, where the French community is discussing the game. Especially since, looking at the comments on KS, it seems there are many French speaking backers who prefer to speak in their native language (fair enough).

Merci en avance pour ta réponse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thilo M.
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I wondered the same thing... there is trictrac but MB don't seem to be active there at all.

https://de.trictrac.net/forum/thema/ks-a-venir-joan-of-arc-p...

Btw they have a nice list of scenarios on page 100.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastien Montagne
France
Maisons Laffitte
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hello Francesco

The only info I have regarding rules comes from Leo who said (at Waaagh Tavern on Jan 26th)"new rules book will be released by mid Feb 2018". I am definitly waiting for this support to see how matured are rules at that stage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Rupes
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm disappointed that we haven't seen more in regards to work being done developing scenarios, balancing units, tuning rules, etc. One could say that Mythic is planning an update to highlight these aspects of development, but I suspect they are more focused on alternate work at present and don't have all that much to show:
1) Development of the next KS (Quickworthy's game).
2) Completing materials needed to deliver ToL: JoA (final art, scenario development, creating a rulebook).

By the second point I am specifically referencing "go as fast as you can" to get it to the printers. December is coming a lot sooner than many think and rule changes have large impacts downstream in any scenario-driven game. It strikes me that Mythic is releasing scenario play-throughs as soon as they finish one. If true, they had maybe 6-8 developed out of 40 in January. That would mean they have a lot left.

Regrettably I think any minor/major changes to the base game design are likely to wait for a future ToL KS or be done as variants "by the community" after the fact. This isn't uncommon in game design as you know. I personally would prefer a two-phase delivery into 2019 if it meant we could have significant play-testing done this year on the base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick van Gompel
Netherlands
Aalst
flag msg tools
I think Francesco is meaning that it would be nice to have a place where we can discuss important things about the game, like the rules. And I fully support him in that.
That new rules are comming is nice, but I think it's mainly the feedback we are after.

I think it is really strange that MG is asking us for feedback (also now when the new rules will come), but so far they have almost completely ignored any feedback on rules. I doubt this will suddenly change.
The problem here is that it seems that MG is lagging behind, but on the other hand, do not work with any help from their backers/community.
For example, a PnP was more or less said to be given months ago. Now, they even doubt it will be there. Not that I personally would really like the effort for making a PnP, but is does show that MG doesn't really care for input about the core of the game. If they had a proper test team themselfs I would agree that you might not need help from your community, but the info in the past has shown us that what is released is all but properly tested. We hardly know anything about the test(team) and even their employees are unfamiliar with the rules in about every video I saw.

So, to be able to deliver a proper core game within time, I think MG really needs to open their doors. Variants and all that will happen anyway, but I would like a neat product without obvious errors. You don't go for a 2nd kickstarter to cover up your mistakes, you do that first. It isn't too late, but I guess somebody needs to kick their butts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesco
United Kingdom
Loughborough
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My feeling is that, as Joshua said MG seems more focused in finalising the basic content (and delivery) than game details and rules. I think it is important for them also to get as many funds as possible during the Pledge Manager, and they probably would like to limit (or even avoid) any game information which would cause additional "gates" and discourage buyers (or even badly affect the promotion of QW's new game).

It is a tradeoff of course, since many backers are also strongly asking for some updated information. But I could understand MG's reasoning about not sharing/discussing everything.

The original aim of the post was not to discuss MG policies and communication approaches (since I doubt they could make their own interest while pleasing each backer) but rather to figure out if there could be a more effective way to reach MG with our discussions about the game rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.