Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i'm looking for clarification on "distance" as it pertains to the selection of a monster's target. Specifically...

Page 47 says:

pg 47 wrote:
The behavior rules of the A.I. section are based on the distance (measured in areas) between the enemy and its closest hero in L.O.S.

(Emphasis added.)

That seems perfectly clear: closest opponent takes priority. But then it changes the definition of "closest":

pg 47 wrote:
Each time a behavior rule is selected, if there is more than one hero in the indicated range, the enemy must first identify its preferred victim.

(Emphasis added.)

The ambiguity arises from the term "in the indicated range" combined with "each time a behavior rule is selected", because a behaviour rule can cover multiple distances and it's not clear which distance takes priority here: the range in areas (per the first quote) or the behaviour rule range (per the second quote).

Here's a concrete example...

Gremlins have a behaviour rule which covers ranges {1}{2}{3}. We have a Gremlin standing in area X with a targeting priority of "attack the richest hero". In area X+1 we have a hero with no gold. In area X+3 we have a hero with 10 gold.

The first quoted section above tells me that the Gremlin will attack the character in area X+1 (with no gold) because it is physically closest. The second quoted section tells me that the hero in X+3 (with 10 gold) will be attacked because (A) both X+1 and X+3 fall into the same "indicated range" of the behaviour rule and (B) the Gremlin prefers to attack the richest character.

If there were 3 separate rules for ranges {1}{2}{3}, rather than a single rule, the meaning would be clear (attack the hero at X+1). The combination of the ranges into a single rule makes the meaning, for purposes of selecting a target from those at different ranges, ambiguous.

So, my question is simply: which "range" is used for final determination of a victim: "real range" or "behaviour rule range" (assuming that the real range is within LOS and within the behaviour range)?

It's clear that the "preferred victim icon" in the top left of the monster card ("richest" in this example) is the tie-breaker if ranges are equal. It's the determination of "range" which is is in question here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rezard Vareth
United States
flag msg tools
sgbeal wrote:
i'm looking for clarification on "distance" as it pertains to the selection of a monster's target. Specifically...

Page 47 says:

pg 47 wrote:
The behavior rules of the A.I. section are based on the distance (measured in areas) between the enemy and its closest hero in L.O.S.

(Emphasis added.)

That seems perfectly clear: closest opponent takes priority. But then it changes the definition of "closest":

pg 47 wrote:
Each time a behavior rule is selected, if there is more than one hero in the indicated range, the enemy must first identify its preferred victim.

(Emphasis added.)

The ambiguity arises from the term "in the indicated range" combined with "each time a behavior rule is selected", because a behaviour rule can cover multiple distances and it's not clear which distance takes priority here: the range in areas (per the first quote) or the behaviour rule range (per the second quote).

Here's a concrete example...

Gremlins have a behaviour rule which covers ranges {1}{2}{3}. We have a Gremlin standing in area X with a targeting priority of "attack the richest hero". In area X+1 we have a hero with no gold. In area X+3 we have a hero with 10 gold.

The first quoted section above tells me that the Gremlin will attack the character in area X+1 (with no gold) because it is physically closest. The second quoted section tells me that the hero in X+3 (with 10 gold) will be attacked because (A) both X+1 and X+3 fall into the same "indicated range" of the behaviour rule and (B) the Gremlin prefers to attack the richest character.

If there were 3 separate rules for ranges {1}{2}{3}, rather than a single rule, the meaning would be clear (attack the hero at X+1). The combination of the ranges into a single rule makes the meaning, for purposes of selecting a target from those at different ranges, ambiguous.

So, my question is simply: which "range" is used for final determination of a victim: "real range" or "behaviour rule range" (assuming that the real range is within LOS and within the behaviour range)?

It's clear that the "preferred victim icon" in the top left of the monster card ("richest" in this example) is the tie-breaker if ranges are equal. It's the determination of "range" which is is in question here.
Use what you are calling the “behavioral rule” range.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RezardVareth wrote:
Use what you are calling the “behavioral rule” range.

So in this case, the rich hero at X+3 is the preferred target?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gorka Morka
Germany
Bavaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
@Stephan

In the example above, the preferred target would indeed be the rich hero at X+3.

Regards, Gorkar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil M
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Gorkar wrote:
@Stephan

In the example above, the preferred target would indeed be the rich hero at X+3.

Regards, Gorkar

Seconding this. I was reading tonight in my rule book (just got the game today, retail version) and there's a visual example of a very similar situation which it outlines quite clearly. I don't have my book with me at the time of this writing, unfortunately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Erekai wrote:
... and there's a visual example of a very similar situation which it outlines quite clearly.

i admit that it didn't occur to me to look through the examples (nor even that there might have been one) :/.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil M
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
sgbeal wrote:
Erekai wrote:
... and there's a visual example of a very similar situation which it outlines quite clearly.

i admit that it didn't occur to me to look through the examples (nor even that there might have been one) :/.

Yeah, check out the examples on page 49 and 50. They do a pretty good job of outlining the answer to your question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.