BattleLore (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Battlelore: Command rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
HANJEL T
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking about buying the game for my mobile. Something I have not done many times ...
Someone has tried it? Is it very different from the board game? What game options does it have? Real time against another player, deferred game against another player, against the machine ...? Any problem to use it with Android?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giulio
Italy
Scandiano
RE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Consider that:

1 it's quite different from the original game, sometimes in a subtle way that can be deceiving for an experienced player of the physical version;

2 the probability to find a game online is basically zero;

said that, you can buy it for the solo campaign which is not bad. You have different missions with different challenges. It is however quite easy, at least once you discover a couple of tricks I don't want to spoil here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HANJEL T
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your answer, Giulio. I'm in doubt yet.

Which is the most striking difference with the board game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Clausing
United States
Winfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It still baffles me that FFG is discontinuing a game they developed an app for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Laredo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1391739/app-vs-board-game-l...

See the thread in the link above for a list of differences. I would say that the biggest difference is that abilities like Frenzy and Superior Tactics are no longer optional. The game is relatively cheap, though, and I think the price is right for the two solo plays you'll need to do to see both endings.

My biggest complaints about the app are 1) no undead were ever introduced, and 2) no full Uthuk campaign was created. On that note, the expansion is probably not worth the money since the 4 new units are not great and it only adds 3 Uthuk missions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giulio
Italy
Scandiano
RE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HANJEL wrote:
Thanks for your answer, Giulio. I'm in doubt yet.

Which is the most striking difference with the board game?

I think Garret clarified the kind of subtle but substantial differences I was mentioning. The most obvious, macroscopic so to speak, difference is in the management of cards. You start with a fixed hand of sections cards plus a hand of special cards that depend on the units you recruited and in each turn you play one. The former can be reshuffled the latter are one use only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
mandingoman wrote:
It still baffles me that FFG is discontinuing a game they developed an app for.

The app wasn't developed "for" the game, at least not in the sense that it helps supplement the physical game (like Road to Legend does for Descent, or the new Imperial Assault app does). It's more akin to Elder Sign: Omens, a standalone game that is close to the physical game (though ES:O is much closer).

The Battlelore game was most likely discontinued due to lower sales than they had hoped for, despite the effort they put into it. The nice thing about the app, though, is apart from maybe a bug fix here or there, they don't need to spend resources to continue offering it (whereas they would for physical copies, such as printing, shipping, etc).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Hammons
United States
Santa Monica
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While different from the board game, I found the solo play a lot of fun and quite rewarding. If you want in person online competition skip it, but for solo it's quite good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Roper
South Africa
Hout Bay
Western Cape
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have it on my tablet but my old eyes are not good enough to play it
So I installed the PC version from steam.

It is, as others have said, a fun solo game against the PC with good graphics and subtle challenges.

I find it annoying that you are forced to play through all of the, progressively harder, challenges before unlocking the scenario mode, but it is a fun diversion.

For the price I would say it is worthwhile and in my case it has seen far more play time than the boardgame.

Cheers
Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giulio
Italy
Scandiano
RE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I'm not a game industry marketing expert, but judging from the number of reports we all see from "solo gamers" I think that the real scarcity in this hobby are opponents (this perfectly applies to me!) Thus I think that the possibility to play a physical game one owns online, and possibly against an AI, can help to foster the sales of the physical game too. Days of Wonders went in this direction with Memoir' 44 and I think it paid. GMT is releasing a computer version of Command and Colors: Ancients soon. PSC already did it with The Great War (another command&colors title). These are all EXACT (as long as technically possible) digital replica of the physical board game. And honestly, the graphics of the BL:2nd FFG app is far superior to all the others I mentioned. The real opportunity FFG lost was to use that nice interface to TRULY bring BL:2nd online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.