11 Posts

Champions of Midgard» Forums » General

Subject: My Issues with Greyfox customer service rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kim Rathleff
Denmark
flag msg tools
My issues with greyfox customer service...

I made a pledge for 5 games when this kickstarter ran, several of them with the exclusive boxes. When it arrived in late september there was damage to 2 base game boxes and 1 exclusive box. There was also damage to 2 market boards and some wood tokens missing. The market boards and wood tokens was replaced relatively quickly, even though they did manage to send the wrong wood tokens the first time around. The boxes however I was told would take awhile. In late december I was told that they had a exclusive box ready to ship, but that I would not get a replacement for the 2 damaged base game boxes. They did however send the exclusive box, from a facility in the US.

Guess what happens when you dont ship from within the EU when it needs to be shipped to a EU country. Yep! It got caught in customs and I now have to pay what amounts to 28.5 dollars to get the exclusive box after waiting for it for 4 months! The reason it got stopped in customs is that they decided to declare a value of 15 dollars for the box. The maximum you can send to Denmark is around 12 dollars worth of value without having to pay import fees. A fact I could have told them had they bothered to ask in any of the emails they sent. Greyfox flat out refuses to reimburse me the 28.5 dollars or send a new box. Mind you they also refused to send the 2 base game boxes that came damaged. Needless to say I am less than pleased with the way they have treated me and their refusal to show any kind of goodwill on top of a less than stellar Kickstarter, service wise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
7Dahl7 wrote:
My issues with greyfox customer service...

I made a pledge for 5 games when this kickstarter ran, several of them with the exclusive boxes. When it arrived in late september there was damage to 2 base game boxes and 1 exclusive box. There was also damage to 2 market boards and some wood tokens missing. The market boards and wood tokens was replaced relatively quickly, even though they did manage to send the wrong wood tokens the first time around. The boxes however I was told would take awhile. In late december I was told that they had a exclusive box ready to ship, but that I would not get a replacement for the 2 damaged base game boxes. They did however send the exclusive box, from a facility in the US.

Guess what happens when you dont ship from within the EU when it needs to be shipped to a EU country. Yep! It got caught in customs and I now have to pay what amounts to 28.5 dollars to get the exclusive box after waiting for it for 4 months! The reason it got stopped in customs is that they decided to declare a value of 15 dollars for the box. The maximum you can send to Denmark is around 12 dollars worth of value without having to pay import fees. A fact I could have told them had they bothered to ask in any of the emails they sent. Greyfox flat out refuses to reimburse me the 28.5 dollars or send a new box. Mind you they also refused to send the 2 base game boxes that came damaged. Needless to say I am less than pleased with the way they have treated me and their refusal to show any kind of goodwill on top of a less than stellar Kickstarter, service wise.

Unfortunately, as KS is not a store. You don't get the same rights as a 'customer'. Also the US is far less protective of consumers who order stuff online for shipment outside the US anyway.

You should probably put pictures of the damage in this thread for clarity. At this stage you could be complaining about 'non-issue' damage like a scuff or something. Posting images would allow others to gauge also and give more weight to your complaint.

PS. Grey Fox have been foolish in posting something via a customs route without consulting you first. But again, they don't actually HAVE to send you anything. So It's up to you now whether you put up with the damage, or pay $30 fox an undamaged one. They're under no obligation but a moral one and a possibility of damage control (no-pun intended) for negative PR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Rathleff
Denmark
flag msg tools
How do I upload an image from my phone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like you should be more irritated with Denmark's customs laws than Grey Fox. You can't expect a company to lie to customs officials on your behalf, they could get fined or restricted from conducting business in the EU.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
Sounds like you should be more irritated with Denmark's customs laws than Grey Fox. You can't expect a company to lie to customs officials on your behalf, they could get fined or restricted from conducting business in the EU.

He shouldn't expect them to lie and he didn't say that, just what the threshold in Denmark was and they could have checked with him first before sending something directly. But he also shouldn't expect a EU-Friendly campaign to send him anything that has a customs charge or damaged goods.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Rathleff
Denmark
flag msg tools

As you can see the exclusive box is pretty messed up and so is the pictured base game box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:

I'm not sure if the declared value simply was the shipping cost, which at least in Germany counts towards the limit until which you don't have to pay custom fees, but I don't know why declaring something as a free replacement that gets shipped without cost, would be "lying" to customs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Davis
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry you're dealing with that. I've also been disappointed in Grey Fox. CoM has had the worst manufacturing I've seen. All my boards are warped and appear shredded on the sides, insert smashed, cardboard and cards don't match between games, base box corners dented, etc. They tried to replace the board but the replacement was just as bad.

My only other Grey Fox game was Deception. It was missing cards and bullets and the replacement cards were also wrong. They finally got it right but communication was slow.

I wish CoM could be redone completely with a more legible and bigger font, clearer graphics (everything has a haze over it), and consistent production quality. The design is amazing though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Hayes
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
Superbowl Champions!
badge
Can't stop buying games...
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy of CoM was perfect in the Kickstarter. I was fortunate to not have anything damaged.

The customs issue is with your country, not really with Grey Fox Games...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jsteedhayes wrote:
My copy of CoM was perfect in the Kickstarter. I was fortunate to not have anything damaged.

...even when they offer an EU friendly campaign...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Rathleff
Denmark
flag msg tools
jsteedhayes wrote:

What about the fact that they wouldnt replace the base game boxes?

Besides I am sure that Greyfox knew that there could be a potential issue with shipping from the US directly. I mean that is the whole reason why they ship kickstarters from different fulfillment places around the world. Bottom line is that Greyfox didnt care enough to make sure that it wouldnt be an issue in this particular case. I think I could name 3-4 other board games companies that use kickstarter, that would never act the way Greyfox did in this case. Sad really...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.