Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
P Santos
United States
LAS VEGAS
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm thinking of introducing SGP to players who might not be card/boardgamers or might not have played any of the modern board games at all. So I want to select a Sushi Go menu that's even easier to understand than the "My First Meal", suggested in the manual. Here's my modification:

Nigiri
Temaki (instead of Maki)
Tempura
Sashimi
Miso Soup
Wasabi
Soy Sauce (instead of Tea)
Grean Tea Ice Cream

I chose Temaki ('whoever has the most Temaki scores 4 and whoever has the fewest -4') because some kids/new players get confused with number of Maki cards versus Maki icons. Temaki is one icon per card, no confusion there. Plus no need to explain points for second place.

For specials, I debated among the three candidates: Wasabi, Tea, and Soy Sauce. Soy Sauce is easier to explain (it's worth 4 points if you have the most different colors) than Tea ('Which color you have most cards of? it's 1 point per card of that color'). Besides, Tea and Green Tea together, some might mix up the two, though I could just say ice cream instead of GT ice cream.

For wasabi, this is not an easy choice. I've noticed that I get questions from beginners whether they could put the wasabi on a nigiri that they've previously played. It's not that easy to remember, for someone who has never played any modern card game.

Any thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Neumann
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Re: Simplest Menu: For Beginners
These are nice options! The icon confusion in Maki is also a challenge here. However once they have made the mistake of counting cards instead of icons, they are into it. This is a bit mean, but I think Temaki is a bit meaner since it forces you to collect it and do the battle. Maki allows you to neglect it. So, for explanation reasons Temaki might be easier but it is less easy to play with. I always explain it as if the cards were dishes. On each dish you find different amount of Maki...
Soy sauce or Tea? I would guess tea is easier... when I explain tempura and sashimi I usually tell them that they might have collect 5 sashimi and will get points only for the triplet but if they were lucky and drank tea the cards can still count and they will get a point for each of their green cards if these are the ones which you have most of.
Wasabi... same difficulty here. Try "menu". When you get a menu card (a real one or a sushi go one) it is logical that you can choose. Look at four cards, choose one and put the others back is also easy to get.

Let me know how it went!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt C
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My teaching deck is the following:

Nigiri
Maki
Wasabi
Menu
Eel
Tofu
Sashimi
Green Tea Ice Cream

The main reason I choose this mix is to teach the habit of observing what cards other players have chosen. As we play the first round, I will remind the person who first plays Maki to watch for others playing it, and using that information to decide whether you should take more Maki on future passes. If everyone seems to have a grasp of it after the first round, everybody is on their own.

I include the Eel and Tofu to teach the “take that” aspect of the game without being mean about it. They are also easy to explain - you want at least two Eel and no more than two Tofu. These appetizers also encourage the players to watch the other players’ selections and to think ahead in the passing of the cards (if I play an Eel now, will I be able to get this other Eel later?). Even with these appetizers in the mix, there are usually two players each game that get to 60 points or beyond.

The Menu card, as the previous response stated, is easy to teach. I try to emphasize that it is very useful when you are trying to collect an appetizer set, are looking for a better Nigiri to play on your Wasabi or are needing that fourth Green Tea Ice Cream that maybe is still in the “kitchen” (leftover card pile). Having this card usually results in more points, which always makes people happy.

I have used Miso Soup at times (replacing Eel). It is simple enough to explain to new players and provides a lot of interaction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.