Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Graham Dean
United Kingdom
Bedford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

We've just started playing PL Season 1, and have some significant differences of opinion about which funded events to choose.

I can't remember all the cards I'm afraid, and couldn't find them on line.

For those that know, I'm interested in which funding events they would choose if their funding level were at 4 or 2.

I don't want to influence the debate by saying what I would do, but I'm convinced that as a group we're choosing weak cards (I'm outvoted). I'll accept the vote, but it would be fun to know what the consensus is.

Does anyone know how to setup a poll for this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
snoozle snoozle
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the list of event cards at hand right now but I can say "One quiet night" and "Resilient Population" were in our deck quite often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Bruni
Italy
Teglio
Sondrio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One quiet night is also my favorite!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda Zimmer
United States
Atlanta
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If we could use funded events, we would discuss them all and then decide that "Airlift" and "Resilient Population" were the way to go.

...though I think I sometimes had to push hard for Resilient Population over One Quiet Night. One Quiet Night can be a potential double-edged sword (ie: reduces the amount of cards in the shuffle), but Resilient Population is always helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You'll have to excuse me, I forget which ones are in S1 (at all, but even more so on January) and which are from regular Pandemic.

Resilient Population is definitely a pick. A lot of time it will allow you to ignore an entire section of the board for the whole game on top of saving you from nasty Outbreaks right after a new Epidemic pops up.

I'm not fond of One Quiet Night because Forecast is a better version of it most of the time. I'd play both, of course, but I probably never have the funding for it. My analysis is this: you will almost always play either of these right after an Epidemic is drawn, because that maximizes their impact. OQN potentially saves you from danger for one turn after Epidemic but doesn't give you any information. Forecast typically will save you from danger for at least one turn and on top of it let you know what you need to do for the next turn or two. OQN gets better in the late game (Infection > 2) but in Legacy you're playing only to 5 Epidemics in January so that's not as much of a concern than in a 6 or 7 Epidemics game of regular Pandemic.

I don't like Airlift that much and it's certainly not powerful enough to be one of your two (since if you're winning consistently, you're going to only ever have two at most for most of the season when you get one of those heartbreaker games on the first game of the month). Both Resilient Pop and Forecast would definitely edge Airlift out for me, especially in any game where you're playing with the Dispatcher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda Zimmer
United States
Atlanta
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Airlift got a lot of mileage as being able to reliably get you out/in cities with 2+ panic. Saving an action is always nice too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Reynolds
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
People are generally fans of One Quiet Night and Resilient Population, but I think these are double-edged swords. When you play these cards, you decrease the size of infection discard pile, which increases the likelihood of repeat hits after an epidemic.

For that reason, I prefer these:
Government Grant (build a research station anywhere) - This is great for early games and early in the game. Reducing travel time is essential. This also helps with early games to easily plan where your stations will be.
Airlift (move anyone to anywhere) - Again, reducing travel time is crucial. This one gets worse after you have a good infrastructure at the start of your games.
Remote Treatment (remove 2 disease cubes) - I think this is better than One Quiet Night. It can save you from a potentially bad epidemic just as well or better. Plus there is no downside of a worse future epidemic.

PS: Sorry if I got any of these names wrong or if they don't exist in Legacy; I'm doing this off of memory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Dean
United Kingdom
Bedford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that we've heard from a few people I'll weigh in with my favourites.

I'm a big fan of Government Grant, because it is just so important to be able to deploy around the board.

After that any from Airlift, Resistant Population, One Quiet Night.

I have been outvoted in favour of the one which gives two extra actions, which looks to me like one of the worst ones available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two extra actions can be a real game-saver at some moments - but a lot of the time it may well be nothing very special. I'd pick it over Forecast, which I think is terrible - frequently I find all that does is say "which of the following three hot-spots will you be able to deal with next turn?"

One Quiet Night is at least more useful in games where treatment is going well and there's only one or two key spots, or games where it's going poorly but you've nearly won and just need to survive ONE MORE INFECTION...but I'd pick Remote Treatment over it for the reasons given by Jonathan Reynolds above. I'd say his three plus possibly Resilient Population are my favourite four.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
Fewer cards in the intensification isn't necessarily a bad thing. The main thing it gives is greater certainty, and you just have to decide how well positioned you are to deal with the things you're more sure will happen.

We found Airlift more useful later in the season because... reasons. But by then we had zero funding most of the time anyway.

Early on, I'd say Resilient Population and One Quiet Night are the strongest two, followed by Airlift and Remote Treatment.

Government Grant is perhaps the weakest of all the events. The strength of events is that anybody can play an event at (almost) any time. They're a stupendously strong way of getting out of trouble and should be hoarded, if possible, until that inevitable trouble turns up. Creating an extra research station can't possibly avert a crisis. Realistically, it saves you maybe a couple of actions and gives you greater flexibility in where you put a research station. (It doesn't even save you a card, because you spend an Event card instead of the city card.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Euan McLeod
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think we used Government Grant in our very first game to get a quick start on building research stations, but we made one permanent after our first game and another one after our third game to help getting around the board quickly. We rarely need more then those three research stations.

We've also used the dispatcher in every game and in combination with the permanent research stations, we've never found the need for an airlift.

After the first two wins, we've only had funding in the replays of april and august (which is our current point of progress) and resilient population was a big help in both.

February spoiler:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
In that last game we used the rival relationship/resilient population combo to its full potential, by removing three cities on the verge of outbreak from the discard pile after getting an epidemic, before intensifying. The game was a breeze after that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Reynolds
United States
Olmsted Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clivej wrote:
Government Grant is perhaps the weakest of all the events. Creating an extra research station can't possibly avert a crisis.

Prevention is the best medicine. A station can add dozen actions to a game by reducing the action cost of movement. Four well placed stations can make every city on board just two steps from a station. This means that anyone can avert a crisis anywhere, if they start on a station. Government Grant helps make sure your permanent stations are in optimal spots.

Sure, they effectiveness of the card dwindles after you have built your infrastructure. But if you built a good infrastructure early, you won't be getting funding anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Dean
United Kingdom
Bedford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is why I'm a big fan of Government Grant (although I'm going to go home and work through the ideal four locations now). Base don events so far (we've played and won January) I suspect it will become less useful as the year goes on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
TrueLink wrote:
Four well placed stations can make every city on board just two steps from a station.

Where are you proposing putting those four stations?

Superficially it feels like a stretch, and a bit of Googling reveals this article about regular Pandemic which doesn't quite manage it. (I spotted Mumbai and Johannesburg being three steps away.) I'm not sure the different connections in Pandemic Legacy make enough of a difference.

In any case...

Quote:
This means that anyone can avert a crisis anywhere, if they start on a station.

I wish! A single city which might outbreak isn't a crisis. Several adjacent cities at risk of a chain reaction are a crisis. Getting to one specific city with one action to spare isn't going to suffice a useful proportion of the time.

When things get bad, it's time to give up some of those precious city cards to reach the appropriate spot quickly.

...and then you don't begin your next turn on a research station, anyway.

Quote:
Government Grant helps make sure your permanent stations are in optimal spots.

Well, one of them, anyway. But most of the time you can place within a spot or two of where you wanted, and most of the time that doesn't matter. After all, if it's further from one thing, it's usually closer to something else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Yourchuck
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
clivej wrote:
Fewer cards in the intensification isn't necessarily a bad thing. The main thing it gives is greater certainty, and you just have to decide how well positioned you are to deal with the things you're more sure will happen.

Fewer cards is almost always a bad thing. Example: zero cards means guaranteed outbreak after an epidemic.

clivej wrote:

Government Grant is perhaps the weakest of all the events. The strength of events is that anybody can play an event at (almost) any time. They're a stupendously strong way of getting out of trouble and should be hoarded, if possible, until that inevitable trouble turns up. Creating an extra research station can't possibly avert a crisis. Realistically, it saves you maybe a couple of actions and gives you greater flexibility in where you put a research station. (It doesn't even save you a card, because you spend an Event card instead of the city card.)

We overlooked Government Grant in all of our games, but in retrospect it seems very powerful in certain setups. It basically gives you a permanent "airlift" to any non-rioting city. We often had hotspots on the board where we were constantly returning and it would have been really nice to have that research station available to fly in/out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
clivej wrote:
Fewer cards in the intensification isn't necessarily a bad thing.

nimblegorilla wrote:
Example: zero cards means guaranteed outbreak after an epidemic

Well, yes. But if I point out that a smaller engine in a car can give better fuel economy, it's not helpful to object that if the car's engine has zero capacity it can't move.

Besides, the card you just drew from the bottom of the deck is a very common choice for Resilient Population, in which case even a zero-card intensification can be fine! And sometimes you'll take a guaranteed isolated outbreak over the risk of a chain reaction.

As I said:
Quote:
The main thing it gives is greater certainty, and you just have to decide how well positioned you are to deal with the things you're more sure will happen.

To elaborate, suppose there are a bunch of cards in the infection discard pile.

Is there one you'd be significantly less happy to see turn up than the others? If so, Resilient Population can help.

Would you be significantly happier to see them turn up again than the cards you suspect might be at the top of the deck? If so, One Quiet Night can help. Though in the more obvious case you don't especially care what happens in the longer term because what you really want is to avert disaster right now.

Yes, you always need to draw something from the infection deck sooner or later (well, unless you use One Quiet Night on the penultimate turn of the game). The challenge is to use Events in a way that minimises the expected badness of those cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thespaceinvader -
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
We very rarely had them (:smugface but when we did, Airlift and Forecast are probably our two most useful. Airlift gets people where they need to be efficiently, and Forecast lets you plan where the infections are coming, which combos well with certain characters to drastically reduce incoming infections.

And unlike normal Pandemic (where I like it a lot, it can save a huge amount of actions and cards), Government Grant is a lot less valuable, given that you can potentially make it possible to cure all the diseases without needing Research Stations, so they mostly only become valuable for freer movement across the board. And permanent stations make it a lot less valuable too, because you don't need it to make crossing the board easier in the early rounds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Art Entre
msg tools
I don't remember exactly what we used on my first playthrough, but I just started my second playthrough with a different group.

For our first four, we had...
One Quiet Night
Government Grant
Resilient Population
Airlift or Forecast (I forget)

For our next game with two, we had...
Remote Treatment
Forecast

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda W
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Government Grant was actually very useful for us in the early months. At least once, we used it to immediately drop a research station right where someone was holding the last cure, rather than wasting time getting them to Atlanta. Sure, it's less useful later on, given you can set up a nice network of permanent structures and might have other options for travel, but in the early game Government Grant is quite useful.

Our absolute favorite is Forecast. It has saved us quite a few times, allowing us to stack the cards in a more manageable order, triaging our next few actions and in at least one case avoid an immediate outbreak due to the newly-infected city ending up on top of the draw pile. (One similar immediate outbreak had already dealt a blow to our Dispatcher thanks to landing right on his head).

We also recently put New Assignment to good use, swapping one character (with early-session utility) out mid-game for the medic, once it was more useful to have the party healer on hand.

We're currently running on 0 funding, but an early April loss meant we could use Forecast and New Assignment four our late April game to swing a skin-of-our-teeth victory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.