Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
T N
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there,

This one has been bugging me, logic should prevail, but I wanted to be sure.

The definition of an occupied card is a card with "at least one unit on the card". "Unit" is assumed to be "Infantry Unit" as per the definition of "Infantry Unit" above. This means that only non vehicle units (i.e infantry units) matter when assessing whether a card is occupied or cleared.

Does this mean:

1) A vehicle (tank) does not count when deciding whether a card is secure, occupied, unoccupied or cleared? This seems unlikely.

2) A friendly casualty (which is not a vehicle therefore it is an infantry unit) constitutes a unit for the purposes of occupied and secured? I know casualties have no capabilities, however this isn't a capability as such, it is a card status. I assume casualties have no bearing on occupation/secured status, however the definition only rules out enemy casualties having an impact on unoccupied and cleared statuses, not friendly.

3) I can infer that crewed tanks technically have infantry units driving them so should include them when checking for occupied/cleared status, but assume that an non crewed jeep would not constitute occupation?

On a second issue, the OOB for mission 6 and 7 indicate "1" tank platoon. I assume this includes all of the available tank markers of the given type and their HQ? The OOB for the Company is very detailed so it is unusual to not state "Sherman HQ, 1, Shermans, 4" in the attachment (it is not general knowledge how many tanks are in a tank platoon for this era).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Gingras

Weymouth
Massachusetts
msg tools
mbmbmb
There was some discussion on another thread of whether or not a Casualty is considered occupied. By the strict definition of the rules yes. They are a unit and are listed in the unit section 1.2.3. They are occupying the card, but personally I don't follow this.

Vehicles I think comes down to how you read the definitions.
Looking at the definition of Teams on page 8 every other item listed is described as a unit in its definition except for vehicle. Infantry Units are described as any unit that is not a vehicle. Section 7 says "Unlike an Infantry PLT HQ, these units may command their platoon or flight and still function as a combat or transport unit."

Occupied, Unoccupied, Cleared and Secured Cards on p7 says, A terrain card is occupied if there is at least one unit on the card.

So teams are units and vehicles are implied as units in section 7 so yes they can occupy a card. I tend to lean towards if a counter can fire a weapon or needs to be fired upon to be removed then its capable of occupying a card.

Also, don't ever tell a tanker he is an infantry guy riding in a metal truck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juno
Spain
BCN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rostranor wrote:
There was some discussion on another thread of whether or not a Casualty is considered occupied.
Just for reference here's the reply from developer on that thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T N
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for these responses guys.

The common sense approach for me is exactly as you stated:

1) Casualties are not units for the purposes of occupying and securing cards.

2) Vehicles that are not empty jeeps are units for the purposes of securing and occupying cards.

You seem to take it a step further and exclude Litter Teams and Paralyzed Teams from the definition of unit, I think I'd still include those since if they are good enough for a counter attack, the are good enough for an end game analysis.

On the second question, is it accurate to say that a tank platoon contains all of the available counters of a given type (e.g. Sherman)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Martyn
United States
Guilford
VT
flag msg tools
EXCELSIOR!!!
badge
ZOMGALOMES!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Derezed wrote:
On the second question, is it accurate to say that a tank platoon contains all of the available counters of a given type (e.g. Sherman)?

Yes. Can't remember where on here I read it, but I had the same question and you do use all of the counters of that type. Would have been great if that little tidbit was somewhere in the rules or the mission briefings but I don't believe it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.