6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: A few small, quick games or one big one? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Lane
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
What would people recommend between purchasing a couple of lighter games/expansions that we have played and know we like (Quadropolis and Flamme Rouge: Peloton), or a bigger, heavier game that we've never played before and may not see the table very often (Scythe or Inis or...)?
Usually we only play two players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Arias
United States
Sanford
FLORIDA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends on your circumstances and your group.

I'm avoiding many (not all) massive games that are 30+ minute setup and 4+ hours to complete because I don't have that time anymore and I don't have a regular group. If I was still in school different story (except then I'd be broke and couldn't afford those games ).

As always, for the meatier games, always good to research rules, reviews, video playthrus to see if you will like it.

I'm not a completionist but I do always take a look at expansions for games I already have, know and like. Usually expansions that add variety vs. making the game harder.

I have several "filler" games too, those are good when time is short or you have casual gamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife prefers shorter (generally an hour or less), light to medium weight games. I prefer longer (90 minutes to several hours), medium to heavy weight games. So, I buy both kinds. But the shorter, light to medium weight games get played much more frequently than the others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Nash
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
hebangsthedrums wrote:
and may not see the table very often

For me, this is the key comment.

If it won't see the table very often, why would you waste your money and buy it? Find a different bigger game that WILL see the table often. And if there aren't any - small, light games it is.

Failing that, if you're keen to spend money on big box board games that you probably won't play much at all, you can just ship it to me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
I like to play heavier games, but I agree it’s hard to get bang for your buck (although even one play of a 6 player 5+ hour game can be memorable enough to make it worth it). So now I look for games like COIN that I can get both the occasional play with 3 other players but will mostly hit the table solo.

But expansions for games I love are usually a better choice first. I say get Peloton. And it can be long, if not heavy - play a 19 stage Grand Tour. It plays great with 2 with 2-4 bot teams.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I understand your dilemma. My favorite games tend to be long/heavy games, but I don't get to play them as often as I'd like; however, I do get to play them more than just once a year, so for me that makes them worth owning. Still, I try to limit myself from buying too many of these games.

If you don't own at least one good lengthy game, then I would say go for it if you think you're going to play it at least relatively often. But do your research so that you can be fairly certain you'll enjoy the game you choose (and if you don't, you can always look into trading it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.