7 Posts

7 Wonders» Forums » General

Subject: My 8 year old just burnt Pantheon so that I couldn't build it! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Dexter
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My 8 year old has definitely advanced up a step in board game ability. He has been playing 7 wonders for a while off and on with my wife and I. In the last game I didn't build the Pantheon (though I had Temple) thinking that it would come around since neither other player could come close to building it, had plenty of money, and had finished their wonders. My son looks at the hand I pass him, glances over at my played cards, says "you have temple" and then burns a card for 3 coins. Sure enough, he burned Pantheon so that I couldn't build it. Although it was annoying, it was a proud moment

What is that moment in 7 wonders you knew your child had gotten it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
Before reading the body of your post I thought your son literally burned the Pantheon card. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Tolman
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A gamer is born.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Woody
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm proud of him too, and he's not even my son. I think it's great that you treat him as an adult in this respect. My dad bought me an adult book when I was in third grade--The Washing of the Spears--and I was the proudest kid you ever saw (tho I couldn't understand probably about 50-60% of the words in it).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Woo-Hoo Gamer
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
"Play is an essential component of Wholehearted living." Brené Brown
badge
What do you mean we don't have time for another game?
mbmbmbmbmb
My 11 year old daughter did something similar last year in a game of 7 Wonders Duel. She saw a card that I could build that would offer a good number of points, so she grabbed it to discard it. But to make the situation much worse, three turns later she was able to complete a Wonder and build any discarded card for free - so she grabbed it back and built it.

Talk about a huge point swing!

Needless to say, she won the game. When I asked her if she planned all of that out on her own, she said she did. We now encourage all guests who play against our kids to not take it easy on them, as they will show no mercy of their own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Frag
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great story, and.a cutthroat play. I love it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray of Light
United States
California
flag msg tools
savedbyhim01 wrote:
My 8 year old has definitely advanced up a step in board game ability. He has been playing 7 wonders for a while off and on with my wife and I. In the last game I didn't build the Pantheon (though I had Temple) thinking that it would come around since neither other player could come close to building it, had plenty of money, and had finished their wonders. My son looks at the hand I pass him, glances over at my played cards, says "you have temple" and then burns a card for 3 coins. Sure enough, he burned Pantheon so that I couldn't build it. Although it was annoying, it was a proud moment

What is that moment in 7 wonders you knew your child had gotten it?

Did it do him any good in the end, or did you still win, regardless?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.