Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul L
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trialled a market row variant of TM, with some success. I'm keen to play it some more, rather than being ready to sell it as I was before.

Setup and start as normal (i.e. each faction gets 10 cards to buy at start)

Create a market row: 2x4 cards

Row 1 X X X X Draw Deck
Row 2 X X X X Discard Pile
Price 2 2 4 8

Game sequence:

Research phase is removed completely.

During the regular player turn phase:
1. As an action, purchase a card from the Market.
After each player's turn (set of one or two actions), slide cards from right to left, refill at the end. If only one player is still active, do not refill or reduce the price of any cards.
2. Once all players have passed, remove all the cards in the '2' columns. Restock the market, sliding all the cards in the four and eight columns left.

Any action that allows a player to purchase a card from the top of the deck will be for 3 Mars Bucks, as per regular rules.

Haven't tried different values, so you may want to make the cheapest cards 3 mars bucks rather than two, to simulate the costings of the standard research rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mb
I'm also a keen Pax series gamer.

The market suggestion (or something similar) has been proposed a few times previously. Maybe read some of the following threads to see some of the feedback and pitfalls of a market approach to research:

Alternate card distribution method
Card selection at the begining of the turn
Replace research phase with a Nations style market
"Small World" Style Research Projects
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mihir Shah
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds interesting, however the last buy needs to be 4 instead of 8 as 8 is just too high of a price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Cooper
msg tools
mbmbmb
As with any face up draft proposal, one big unintended effect is that most of the cards people hold become known. I would expect some gameplay consequences from that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
I'd call it the "Contract Row" ...

more thematic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mil Myman
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
jalwaaa wrote:
Sounds interesting, however the last buy needs to be 4 instead of 8 as 8 is just too high of a price.

Yeah, I find it hard to imagine anyone spending 8 for a card. I'd make the columns 2, 3, 4, 5.

And since there's no real significance to the rows, you could easily just have one row, with prices adjusted however you want it to work:

2, 2, 2, 3, 3, 4, 5, 6 - for example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
Phil Fleischmann wrote:
jalwaaa wrote:

Yeah, I find it hard to imagine anyone spending 8 for a card. I'd make the columns 2, 3, 4, 5.

And since there's no real significance to the rows, you could easily just have one row, with prices adjusted however you want it to work:

I think having it in a "box" with multiple rows is good for gameplay. I like how the different rows re-fill independantly of each other. It also saves table space, and you can better/easily make a custom contract row board for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil Fleischmann wrote:

Yeah, I find it hard to imagine anyone spending 8 for a card.

Rare perhaps, but a player with several Jovian tags already in play would pay 8 for one of the cards that awards 1 VP per Jovian tag. Or the Space Fighter card if a player already has Ti production. But I agree that this would be rare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul L
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just sharing what I've personally tried. Folks are free to do what they will

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul L
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Talmanes wrote:
As with any face up draft proposal, one big unintended effect is that most of the cards people hold become known. I would expect some gameplay consequences from that.

Not that dramatic a departure from drafting. There's not many direct effect cards in the game, so blocking is indirect at best.

It's more about preventing the stumbling into lucky combos people can end up with, or at the very least raising the opportunity cost.

It's the same reason I like 8 rather than 6 as the high cost. Folks are free to try what works for them, but my main objective is to smooth out the acceleration curve that can happen in this game. By the time people are willing to spend big, the game is accelerating towards the terminus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Schraut
Germany
Karlsruhe
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil Fleischmann wrote:
jalwaaa wrote:

+1
I think a longer row with a slower $ gradient would work better. Also I would refill after every player, like Through the Ages.
We are not at the point where we need a card row yet, but we started thinking about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul L
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My variant does refill after every player. Just not for the last one standing in a generation, otherwise they could game the market.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mil Myman
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
AztecTwoStep wrote:
My variant does refill after every player. Just not for the last one standing in a generation, otherwise they could game the market.

Which is important. However, if you wanted to, you could add another tweak to it: The it still refills for the last player, but the prices don't go down. So there's still the same number of cards available to purchase, but the prices get higher and higher.

For example, using the progression I gave above, and extending it:

2, 2, 2, 3, 3, 4, 5, 6, (7, 8, 9, 10, ...)

So if the last player buys the first two cards as his two turn actions, two new cards come out to replace them, for a cost of 7 and 8. Then if he buys the two 3-cost cards, two more cards come out for a cost of 9 and 10. If he really wants to spend 10 on that last card, he can. And then another card will come out for 11. etc.

And this technique can be used even with the two-row method. Granted, it makes things a bit more complicated, and probably won't have much effect on the game, so maybe nevermind. Just a wacky thought.

For a more useful and interesting idea, you could have a market row Power-Grid-style. Extra cards are shown face up as the next ones in the queue, but they're not available for purchase at all, until the cards in the purchase row are bought. So you've got a "preview row" of cards to see. This could add another layer of strategy to the game. "If I buy this card, then that card will then be available to purchase. Do I want it? Do I want my opponents to have the opportunity to get it? Should I forgo buying a card I'd like to have now, if it means my opponent won't be able to get that card that's coming up?"

The array might look like this:

2, 2, 2, 3, 3, 4, 5, 6, P1, P2, P3, P4

There doesn't necessarily have to be the same number of "previews" as there are purchasable cards. When a card is bought, P1 slides down into the 6 slot, and so forth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Grabowski
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious to know why you think this variant is necessary? What's wrong with the research phase as is that you think having an open market will fix?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul L
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SeanLG wrote:
I'm curious to know why you think this variant is necessary? What's wrong with the research phase as is that you think having an open market will fix?

Drafting is practically mandatory in the core game, otherwise the random draws make the outcome nearly random. But top decking is still very influential to the game even with drafting, whereas the market row either gives players a better opportunity to block super powered combos, or at the very least, slugs the beneficiary with a big financial hit. Otherwise whichever player lucks into a synergistic combo usually wins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SeanLG wrote:

I think that "total knowledge" is a factor to count on here as well, if everyone have cards that everyone knows about they can plan in a different way, no surprises. Some people dislikes disclosed information in games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin H.
Austria
Vienna
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
this game is not about luck...I usually win the game or come a close second (4 player)..it is just a way on making informed decisions...know what to draft and what not to draft...reading the game and the game state..know the preceived costs and opportunity costs..if someone is willing to pay 8!MC to destroy a combo...he is welcome to do it...and I dont like people to know what is in my hand...even with draft people could draft cards and later discard it..the first pick you never now until they play it... I would never bother with a "market" but maybe some people will
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul L
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for assuming we're bad at the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.