12 Posts

Fog of Love» Forums » General

Subject: Sharing Information vs Rolepaying rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Love
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
We played the tutorial last night and had a great time, we loved the roleplaying elements and left the game discussing how difficult Elena had been and why Greg deserved a nice partner. We didn't win, not sure we came even close as we struggled to get past 10 -15 hearts each due to some incompatible choices and I'm wondering how we could have helped each other to realise the ambitions of each character via the role play some more.

The rules are fairly clear on not revealing traits, so a conversation along the lines of

Her: "I'm not happy with the choice you made there"

Him: "Well I guess I'm just feeling insecure" (insecure being the trait that drove the choice).

How much do people share and discuss? The rules make it clear you can discuss in "broad terms" how the relationship is going, and can express how happy / unhappy you are with choices made.

One example was when we had to choose

Spoiler (click to reveal)
in chapter 3 where our long term ambitions were in the future, marriage and kids, or just happy being alone (can't remember the exact wording).

When making that choice it felt like we were both still totally in the dark about what the other wanted (not unlike a real relationship - so thematic). Should we have been discussing where we were going before this? or have clues? We stuck to the tell actions as the main roleplaying elements and didn't particularly embellish more outside of those actions (except some spontaneous "I can't believe you did that, are you trying to ruin our relationship".

Is this lack of knowledge part of the game and something that's just likely to happen, or do people try and share more in character information (within the spirit of the rules) to learn about each other.

I realise it's likely there will be a wide range of play styles, from pure roleplay to "its just a game" (playing the numbers) but I'm keen to hear how others play the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Wolfe
United States
Savannah
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are not as many interesting choices to make, or enough time to figure out your partner, in the tutorial or even the first scenario really. I recommend playing until at least the second scenario, and focus on trying to learn what your partner wants, and how to use that info to make yourself and your partner happier (just like real life!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Love
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks, yes it did feel rather short and we'll try the second scenario tonight.

However in terms of the question, in those other scenarios, are you using the choices they make in game to figure out their motivations or using other clues via roleplaying?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reed Dawley
United States
Delmar
New York
flag msg tools
Playing more games is better!
badge
Collecting games is not playing games!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would play it like Taboo, I would not use the word itself as I feel that breaks the fourth wall, but you can play it up. In real life few people I know say they feel insecure but they sure act it physically and with the choices they make. I would recommend playing it up and not saying it up.

Luckily in real life my girlfriend gets my Aspergeriness and will come out and tell me what she is feeling so I can respond appropriately but I do not think that most people are that clear with their emotional state and honestly may not even be aware of it. But they still broadcast it on some level.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gastonguay
United States
Pottstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Act Three! Everybody Dies!
mb
Usually my wife just angrily looks at a pile of chips she already put on the board and I think "Oh, obviously that's one of her traits."

Or she complains about her cards a whole lot so I know the next card she plays will have all arrows that reflect either the opposite or nothing to do with her traits.

Which obviously has nothing to do with roleplaying, but she just wears her heart on her sleeve, so it's that obvious stuff you've got to look for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first thing to remember in the case of incompatible characters is that there is no such thing. Your goal when playing is to reach a destiny, not to fulfil your traits. The traits are merely one of multiple available tools to help you get there.

Also, you don't ever need to know the other player's traits. What can help you predict them is to know which personality dimensions they are aiming for. You can figure this out from the choices they make during the game, as well as what they chose for you at the beginning of the game. If they gave you +1 Yellow, then odds are they have a need for shared Yellow being five or greater. If they, on a card, choose the option that raises their Orange, then odds are they need that. Later, if you want to create compatibility, you can choose the orange option, knowing it will make your love grow.

Finally, unless you know all the cards, to be honest, knowing the trait isn't even a guarantee to know what it points at as far as the needs of it in terms of personality dimensions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hamilton
United States
Asheboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Simply paying attention to what your partner chooses (based on up or down and where)
You may not be able to name the exact trait that is causing this behavior, just like real life, but the picture becomes less blurry as the relationship matures.
If you are conflicted about the choice definitely voice your concerns so you actions aren’t misinterpreted.

I also found that The names of your characters help convey personality. I was a flirty party boy—- I named myself Juan Patron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Osterman
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chearns wrote:
The first thing to remember in the case of incompatible characters is that there is no such thing. Your goal when playing is to reach a destiny, not to fulfil your traits. The traits are merely one of multiple available tools to help you get there.

In the tutorial and the HS Sweethearts scenarios there aren't a lot of destinies to play to so trying really hard to get maximum satisfaction feels really important.

But with the greater number of destinies later, the traits take on different meanings. Some combos of traits really do lend to the non-perfect destinies which can still drive to a "win". The trick is to play to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrOsterman wrote:
chearns wrote:

In the tutorial and the HS Sweethearts scenarios there aren't a lot of destinies to play to so trying really hard to get maximum satisfaction feels really important.

Well, the Tutorial, if played as a tutorial, doesn't really tell you about destinies until it's too late.

However, if I'm not mistaken, the sub and dom ones (can't remember their names) are perfect for ignoring traits (for one of the players), it just requires one player to sacrifice all of their characters personal desires for the good of the couple and for the other to drive hard on their own personal satisfaction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Osterman
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah....

Then there's the one where you want to land within 3 happiness of your partner and both be over 20 or something. That's one destiny that we both discard early because it's so flipping hard to hit even if you DO know each other's traits.

It might be easier if you table-talk a bit to know where you think you're each going to land at the end but going in blind with "I think she's going to end at 38 satisfaction so I can try to land right about there" is hard to manage if either of you over/under estimates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Love
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Quote:
Then there's the one where you want to land within 3 happiness of your partner and both be over 20 or something. That's one destiny that we both discard early because it's so flipping hard to hit even if you DO know each other's traits.

We played last night and ended up both choosing Equal Partners. It seemed the easiest to get for both of us as we were closely tracking each other in hearts but not getting loads between us, and we came within one of achieving it.

I could even tell by looking at the board that my partner wasn't going to hit all three traits. She only had two traits with 3 individual balance in either direction and none of the traits had 5 shared in either direction. So I discarded one of my completed traits with psychologist on the last turn to pick one I hadn't met. This turned out to be correct and we were 4 apart at the end due to me forgetting about a secret that boosted my hearts by 3 at the death.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Engelbrecht-Gollander
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrOsterman wrote:
Yeah....

It might be easier if you table-talk a bit to know where you think you're each going to land at the end but going in blind with "I think she's going to end at 38 satisfaction so I can try to land right about there" is hard to manage if either of you over/under estimates.

I have demoed the game many times at conventions and while it is definitely one of the harder destinies, I have seen first time players complete it several times. It is a lot about the mindset of the players. Some people complain that the game is way too easy, some that it is REALLY hard. So I guess the truth is in between
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.