Subject: Which Cycle to play next? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthias König
Germany
Mainz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend I played a lot of this game some time ago. I even bought into a lot of expansion packs. We played through the first two cycles and came to a stop during the third cycle (Against the Shadow). It was too much of a grind to get the right decks for the respective scenarios and we had to try over and over to get the right cards in the right order. It felt like we didn't only have to play well, we needed to have a lot of luck, too. And I don't think we were bad players at that point. We were watching the playthroughs of the "Cardboard of the Ring" podcast/channel and took some inspiration there. We then decided to take a break from the game and come back eventually.

So much for the back story. At the moment I feel the urge to play the game again. I heard, that the third cycle is especially difficult and that it's getting better and even more innovative later on.

My question is: which cycle should i give a go, if i want to get back into the game (this time solo probably, since the buddy and I play the Arkham LCG toghether). I own the ringmaker-cycle as well. Would that be a good restart? And what were your experiences with those cycles:

1 Mirkwood - own and done, enjoyed
2 Dwarrowdelf - own and done, very much enjoyed
3 Against the Shadow - own and partially done, not the best experience
4 The Ring-maker - own and unopened
5 Angmar - don't own
6 Dream-chaser - don't own
7 Haradrim - don't own

x: Saga expansions - own some, started some, but could play again

Looking forward to your suggestions and experiences
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javier Martínez
Spain
flag msg tools
Reduce, Recycle, Reuse
badge
Do not ever cease to doubt.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I'm all for playing by release date order haha, specially if the game is good, so I would follow where you left...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Btȝ patrem nrum, Benedictum
mbmbmbmbmb
Ring-maker is fun (and lots of great cards) but rather fiddly; it might not be the best to try to get back into the game with.

Maybe jump in with some of Dwarrowdelf?

The saga expansions might be fun, too.

Also you are missing Angmar Awakened from your list. Wow I can't believe we have 7 cycles for the game, unreal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias König
Germany
Mainz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John85 wrote:

Also you are missing Angmar Awakened from your list.

You passed the test . Edited above.

I don't want to play Dwarrow again. Might start again with the Ringmaker (don't mind fiddlyness) if you can recommend the cycle. And I was thinking of starting with the Black Riders maybe. I think I have 2 or 3 Saga-Expansions of that storyline.

Thanks for the input. Any suggestions on cycles 5 to 7?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cycle 5 (Angmar Awakened) has some very difficult quests in it -- if the difficulty chased you off Heirs of Numenor, you might want to proceed cautiously. With that said, I think the AA quests are more enjoyable and the side-quest mechanic spices things up.

Cycle 6 (Dreamchaser) might be a good jumping-in point if you owned it. Good and interesting quests, nothing as brutal as Carn Dum or Morgul Vale, and not as fiddly as Ringmaker.

Cycle 7 (Harad) isn't *quite* out yet, though what's taking them so long to release the last pack (spoiled last summer!) is beyond me. I haven't played the quests enough yet to form a connected opinion of the cycle, but they seem interesting and well-designed to me, though not at all easy.

Since you already have Ringmaker, I'd just start with that *unless* your preferred playstyle is to turtle and build up a juggernaut. The Time mechanic may be a little fiddly, but I don't think it's complicated -- however, it *does* force you to get going quickly and rewards aggression over turtling. But if you prefer to play aggressively you may like it a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Demers
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
“So most men teach, and few men learn.” ~Sador, The Children of Hurin
badge
“Let the unseen days be. Today is more than enough.” ~Sador, The Children of Hurin
mbmbmbmbmb
Dreamchaser cycle was very fun to play through...very thematic...and the elven ships are really neat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Btȝ patrem nrum, Benedictum
mbmbmbmbmb
TripleThr3at wrote:
John85 wrote:

Also you are missing Angmar Awakened from your list.

You passed the test . Edited above.

I don't want to play Dwarrow again. Might start again with the Ringmaker (don't mind fiddlyness) if you can recommend the cycle. And I was thinking of starting with the Black Riders maybe. I think I have 2 or 3 Saga-Expansions of that storyline.

Thanks for the input. Any suggestions on cycles 5 to 7?

I haven't played those cycles yet, so I can't give an opinion of my own. Ringmaker is a fun cycle (I thought) if the fiddliness doesn't bother you, but you do have to hit the ground running.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.