Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Bonneau
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gap filling and mold line removal is over. Primed with the zenithal highlights. May the painting commence!

First (and easiest) one done

She was difficult to get a white cloak and white body parts to not blend in together. But I like her.

Man that ball sucks!

Gold trim looks really cool and I don't think I ever want to do it again HA HA

Definitely going to need a few touch ups but the skin went on great!

Hulk need Matte Varnish!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Halasz
Hungary
Szada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jealous. Waiting for my copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Moore
United States
Webster Groves
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Might want to hide that pill bottle with your name and address on it (or someone else's)!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudi van Pelt
Netherlands
Lekkerkerk
Zuid Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a (mini) painter, but i'm concidering putting a wash on them to let them pop a bit more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bonneau
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MUKid wrote:
Might want to hide that pill bottle with your name and address on it (or someone else's)!

Meh, we have nothing to steal. What's the worst that's gonna happen? some gamers gonna come over and play some Rising Sun? I'm ok with that ha ha halaughlaugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah P.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fisha wrote:
Jealous. Waiting for my copy.

Same. cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Withers
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
tarrow wrote:
I'm not a (mini) painter, but i'm concidering putting a wash on them to let them pop a bit more.

Look up zenithal priming. Do that, then put a wash over it and it'll look far better than just a wash over white primer.

Or use "quickshade" or whatever army painter calls it, which is just Polyshade Minwax (a stain found at Lowes) for 4x the price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bonneau
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Withers wrote:
tarrow wrote:

Look up zenithal priming. Do that, then put a wash over it and it'll look far better than just a wash over white primer.

Or use "quickshade" or whatever army painter calls it, which is just Polyshade Minwax (a stain found at Lowes) for 4x the price.

That is definitely the better option for a quick easy way to pop the details. Another is monochrome painting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colby Dollens
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
+2 Actions, please!
badge
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
mbmbmbmbmb
MajorPWNage wrote:
MUKid wrote:

Meh, we have nothing to steal. What's the worst that's gonna happen? some gamers gonna come over and play some Rising Sun? I'm ok with that ha ha halaughlaugh

Nothing to steal? I see some minis that I might be tempted by.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bonneau
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
colb425 wrote:
MajorPWNage wrote:
MUKid wrote:

Nothing to steal? I see some minis that I might be tempted by.

Good excuse to have to buy more minis! laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the gold tones I see here, what did you use? the lion looks like you drybrushed some polished gold on top of tarnished gold, is that the case? Because I've yet to find a gold that really works for drybrushing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bonneau
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flamin_Jesus wrote:
I like the gold tones I see here, what did you use? the lion looks like you drybrushed some polished gold on top of tarnished gold, is that the case? Because I've yet to find a gold that really works for drybrushing.

Pretty much. I did a brown undercoat and then covered the whole thing in brass and did a light dry brush of polished gold before doing a wash. After the wash I did a full dry brush of gold and then did highlights with polished gold.

Gold sucks to highlight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Townshend
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
These look amazing. Well done.

Can you talk a little about the shading on the dragon? The way the purples blend so nicely into the blues, the way you use the darker shades on its body and tail.

This is something I'd like to learn more about in my own painting (when my game comes... someday...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MajorPWNage wrote:
Flamin_Jesus wrote:

Pretty much. I did a brown undercoat and then covered the whole thing in brass and did a light dry brush of polished gold before doing a wash. After the wash I did a full dry brush of gold and then did highlights with polished gold.

Gold sucks to highlight.

Which brands/paints did you use? Most of my gold tones are good for airbrushing but absolutely suck for any use involving a normal brush.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bonneau
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drammattex wrote:
These look amazing. Well done.

Can you talk a little about the shading on the dragon? The way the purples blend so nicely into the blues, the way you use the darker shades on its body and tail.

This is something I'd like to learn more about in my own painting (when my game comes... someday...)

Get that airbrush man. Makes those transitions so much easier! I usually will start with my darkest color and move my way up. Here I actually didn't like the pale blueish off white it was so I had to go back and put in a nicer blue for the belly. Drybrushed with white and then made a blue glaze to tone it back down.

As for the purple, it was just boring all blue and white. I had saw a pic of one using reds and thought it was neat but didn't like the harsh contrast. So I found a pinky purple(Sanguine Highlight from P3 I think) and just started adding it on the very tips. Then I liked it and just kept going.

I can't say how much it helps to use an airbrush. First few models are very hard and slow as you learn to use it but after that its awesome! Clean color transitions, faster base coating, way easier to do OSL. I highly suggest getting a cheap one to learn on and break a few times to anyone that hasn't used one yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bonneau
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flamin_Jesus wrote:
MajorPWNage wrote:
Flamin_Jesus wrote:

Gold sucks to highlight.

Which brands/paints did you use? Most of my gold tones are good for airbrushing but absolutely suck for any use involving a normal brush.

Mostly P3 and Vallejo. All of those were Vallejo.

Air - Bright Brass
Model - Gold
Game - Bright Gold

I also highly suggest their Model Color Old Gold as a shade for the golds. P3 Blighted Gold can be great for a beaten up slightly corroded gold too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MajorPWNage wrote:
Flamin_Jesus wrote:
MajorPWNage wrote:
Flamin_Jesus wrote:

Gold sucks to highlight.

Mostly P3 and Vallejo. All of those were Vallejo.

Air - Bright Brass
Model - Gold
Game - Bright Gold

I also highly suggest their Model Color Old Gold as a shade for the golds. P3 Blighted Gold can be great for a beaten up slightly corroded gold too!

Hmmmm then maybe I'm doing something wrong with mine, because the golds I use are all VMA/VGA (And one unlabeled Reaper MSP, that one's OK for brushing but I don't love the tone), the brasses work well, but the golds almost behave like a wash/glaze.

Maybe I need to mix them up even harder than the other metallics, get some ball bearings or something in there.

Maybe I should just get the VGC/VMC equivalent tones for drybrushing purposes, do you think they'd work better for that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Townshend
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
MajorPWNage wrote:
Get that airbrush man.

Thanks, Andrew. I will research this more. I watched some of the video links in the other thread I started on painting a few weeks ago, but I couldn't find too many that talked about airbrushing. To be totally honest with you, I don't even understand what it is. Most of the links I followed took me to instructional videos where the artist used a regular brush. I think I just need to practice my google-fu and figure out what an airbrush is and how I use it. I'd welcome a new tool that changes up my style.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bonneau
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flamin_Jesus wrote:
Hmmmm then maybe I'm doing something wrong with mine, because the golds I use are all VMA/VGA (And one unlabeled Reaper MSP, that one's OK for brushing but I don't love the tone), the brasses work well, but the golds almost behave like a wash/glaze.

Maybe I need to mix them up even harder than the other metallics, get some ball bearings or something in there.

Maybe I should just get the VGC/VMC equivalent tones for drybrushing purposes, do you think they'd work better for that?

I go really dry with mine. I wipe of most of the paint in the brush on a paper towel and I use a really beat up brush with tough bristles. I then go really light with it. It's a pain and I only do it on large areas with lots of little details. Otherwise I paint on my gold highlights.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bonneau
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drammattex wrote:
MajorPWNage wrote:
Get that airbrush man.

Thanks, Andrew. I will research this more. I watched some of the video links in the other thread I started on painting a few weeks ago, but I couldn't find too many that talked about airbrushing. To be totally honest with you, I don't even understand what it is. Most of the links I followed took me to instructional videos where the artist used a regular brush. I think I just need to practice my google-fu and figure out what an airbrush is and how I use it. I'd welcome a new tool that changes up my style.

I highly suggest Next Level Painting for airbrushing. Kenny is a master! He has tons of videos and does regular live stream on twitch too. Most importantly is he shows how you properly combo an airbrush with you paint brush.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTfnfIY3Kyxcv8sWck4sxvQ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drammattex wrote:
MajorPWNage wrote:
Get that airbrush man.

An airbrush is essentially an air vent with a paint reservoir attached to a compressor, think spray can except you can control your air pressure and paint flow (And use any paint you have as long as it's not too thick) and it has a much finer nozzle so you can target small areas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
Favor Euros + Ameritrash, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Don't forget to have fun!
mbmbmbmbmb
For the color transitions as seen on the dragon I'd use feathering or wet blending. You can easily find tutorials for each, but here are two...

Feathering: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inYHg3PSnnU

Wet Blending: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EekXAOaZVTs

Feathering is really just a fancy word for layering a ton of times in gradually adjusted shades, all in one direction. Wet blending is a favorite technique of mine. You can use it to transition from any color to any other fairly easily by blocking out blends of the two sections and then bringing these blocks together with glazes.
MajorPWNage wrote:
Most importantly [Kenny] shows how you properly combo an airbrush with you paint brush.

Plus, his videos will make you have THEE lit-er-al best of days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to double-post but regarding that ball - I have a secret suspicion that CMON loves to troll painters. ALL of their models have ridiculous poses/undercuts that mean you have to squeeze your brush past already-painted-parts if you're going above a tabletop level of quality.

I'm painting the AQ orcs right now and regularly shout "WHY IS THE AXE SO CLOSE TO THE BODY. WHY IS THE PONYTAIL SO CLOSE TO HIS BACK." Slip painting one or the other and congrats; you get to re-layer the entire area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bonneau
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
boardgamesdotEXE wrote:
Plus, his videos will make you have THEE lit-er-al best of days.

Learn the ancient chinese techniques!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoa man, I'm not an Asian history scientist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.