Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dangerous Partners
United Kingdom
Swindon
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone know if there is a collection or a list of custom maps and/or scenarios ? We find the game pretty fun but very limited by the few scenarios included in the three rulebooks, I've poked around in the Heroscapers forum and one Atop one (can't remember what it was called) but not really much I could see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
msg tools
mb
I agree that it would be nice to have more variety. Hopefully there's something around. Part of the problem is that hex maps are more difficult to homebrew than squares. Also, there's only so many scenarios to make with a "conjure an army and fight the other guys" oriented game. We would probably need some significant homebrew work, with cards and tokens and such, in order to really give it much of a boost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Taylor
United States
Venice
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BeerAndBoard wrote:
Does anyone know if there is a collection or a list of custom maps and/or scenarios ?

These are just the official Heroscape scenarios.

There are MANY more nearby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dangerous Partners
United Kingdom
Swindon
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cauldronofevil wrote:
BeerAndBoard wrote:
Does anyone know if there is a collection or a list of custom maps and/or scenarios ?

These are just the official Heroscape scenarios.

There are MANY more nearby.

Yep, got that, thanks, that does require you to have Heroscape terrain though (I have a bit). I was after more of scenarios based around the maps in the games themselves and written by maybe someone with a MtG background so there was a bit of background theme to it - I'll happily admit I'm not that creative so putting together a good map and scenario is challenging at the best.
As an example the Lord of the Rings TMG hex minis game of a dozen years ago had some good scenarios written for it by people here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Brune
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Subscribed. I'd definitely like to have a look at more AotP-specific scenarios as well (not coming from a Heroscape OR Magik background).

And having as a critera maybe only ONE of each box, original + 2 expansions (cheap now I know, but storage space is an issue).

Anyway, I definitely have mixed feelings about the out-of-the-rulebook scenarios. For one, they're too short. Sure, I get it, they're supposed to be DUELS, and a big part is designing your deck and your forces.

But I want long drawn out mega-battles, with lots of forces in play, dang it!

When it's just me and my ONE regular gaming bud (who also happens to be the owner of the game), our loose custom goal is usually...

1) Build a BIG map with lots of water opportunities, so the fliers and water-ability folk get a chance to shine...

1b) Come up with an interesting hill configuration instead of just a few bumps here and there...

2) Pick Planeswalkers whose army colors don't conflict with each other. Preferably the dual-colored ones. But if single color, then BOTH are single color.

3) Have ALL army groups in play (they still need to be summoned two at a time though).

4) Play with the full deck of spells. I know, I know. Mainly it's because my opponent doesn't have the patience for long-term card study and proper deck building forethought.

5) Come up with some kind of interesting victory conditions instead of just points. Some of this kinda-sorta made it into some of the expansion rules... cross from one side of the map to the other (a gauntlet). Maybe take and hold a hill for a set numbre of turns. Take out one particular army or piece that has to be protected (not necessarily the Planeswalker)

I'd have posted a scenario already... but sadly the opportunities to play this frequently enough to properly playtest before posting are few and far between. Especially when big battles can run 4-6 hours.
whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David LeftOn4ya
United States
Florence
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I held a contest for maps with the Shadows over Innistrad plus 1-2 Heroscape sets, and here are the results. Not much “scenarios” if you want objective besides kill you opponent, but maps were somewhat playtested with AotP in mind and not just Heroscape. You can use the scenario rules from many of the Heroscape sets linked above, but just on AotP maps. Sadly the AotP sets did not come with enough terrain. I understand them wanting to cut costs and I even like the cardboard mats, but if sets just included 25% of the terrain found in Heroscape master sets it would have made for a lot more options, and in my opinion better sales of a now discontinued game. As is you really need a Heroscape set or two to make decent maps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.