Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric P
United States
Collinsville
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got the game, already have a group lined up to play - problem is that I have more than 4 interested.

How reasonable is it to have multiple groups active in the same campaign world simultaneously?

Could I have one group running through a scenario on "Table 1" while another group runs a different scenario on "Table 2"? Each scenario could still only be done once in "campaign mode"

What component limitations are in the way? What are the solutions?

1) Only 6 starting characters - We would have to be two groups of 3 until more roles unlock and not allow overlap.
2) Possible overlap in tiles required for scenarios - We have a huge Chessex 1" hex mat laid over the table - could we just sketch the dungeon out on the mat?
3) Overlapping monsters required - we would have to sub in generic tokens for the standees - is there an app that manages monster decks?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
darhoth of darhothland
msg tools
It sounds like you are talking about running two tables at the same time (as opposed to 2 parties in one campaign, but playing their sessions at different times). I think you have hit on all of the main issues. You may want to have each group first meet and do Scenarios 1 and 2. After that, they could be running different scenarios simultaneously, which would be less likely to have overlapping components. There is one balance issue though. Monster numbers are supposed to be limited by number of standees (so when you run out of a standee that monster cannot spawn). This could get tricky to keep track of on two tables.

For apps, I am now running Gloomhaven Health Tracker (Android app for monster health and conditions), Gloomy Companion (web app to track monster ability cards) and NinjaLooter's Gloomhaven Scenario and Map Tracker. I put the health tracker on tv, gloomy companion on the other and scenario viewer between rounds (see pic -
https://imgur.com/a/atK85).

I have a group of 8-10 interested. We do a session on Saturday for up to 4 and then a second session on Sunday for overflow. I was going to keep them separate, but decided to instead manage the small issues one large party creates (for example, requiring the party in play to sell items when they have too many together and limiting item purchases to the party in play). Will see how it all works out.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hannes
United States
New Windsor
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
For managing monsters, there's a slick app here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1921593/new-app-game

Your biggest component limitation, even once you unlock more characters, is going to be the attack modifier decks. The game only comes with four, and every player absolutely needs one. But... there are apps that handle that as well, or you can proxy additional sets.

For the board, sounds like you have some workable ideas... but also worth noting is that mechanically there is no difference between the boards by letter. Ex. A1, A2, A3, A4 are all the same dimensions and can be used interchangeably if need be. You are instructed to use certain ones to make the scenario map look better, but if two simultaneous scenarios called for the same exact tile, you could just sub in one of the others with the same letter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt M
United States
NoVA
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
are all of them coming to every session? I have ~ 8 people in my gaming group, due to life being busy we sometimes have 3 that are able to make it, other times we have 6-7. since we got GH, if we have 4 or fewer we play that, if we have more than 4 we play something else. Some people share characters, others rolled the same class...but since they rarely show up on the same night its not an issue.

Sometimes we'll schedule a second game night, specifically for gloomhaven. It works out that we've yet to have to "fight" over who gets to play just based on not everyone always being able to make it every time.

Trying to play two simultaneous (as in, two different scenarios at a time) will be too difficult to manage IMO. you've only got 4 (5 w/ the monster deck) attack mod decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tsang
United Kingdom
Claverton, Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric the GM wrote:
Got the game, already have a group lined up to play - problem is that I have more than 4 interested.

How reasonable is it to have multiple groups active in the same campaign world simultaneously?

Could I have one group running through a scenario on "Table 1" while another group runs a different scenario on "Table 2"? Each scenario could still only be done once in "campaign mode"

What component limitations are in the way? What are the solutions?

1) Only 6 starting characters - We would have to be two groups of 3 until more roles unlock and not allow overlap.
2) Possible overlap in tiles required for scenarios - We have a huge Chessex 1" hex mat laid over the table - could we just sketch the dungeon out on the mat?
3) Overlapping monsters required - we would have to sub in generic tokens for the standees - is there an app that manages monster decks?

There is also the item limitations in terms of availability of item cards, that are meant to apply per scenario. You'll have to have some players keep track of items and abilities separately through notes, or something else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Graham
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am running 2 separate parties with 5 different characters. With all the apps it would be feasible to have the same characters in each party. The apps are great for keeping my two campaigns separate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.