Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Lustenberger
United States
Nashua
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
The power of customization!
badge
Lelouch vi Britannia commands you... All of you... To play more games!
mbmbmbmbmb
Class spoilers
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Howdy,

One of my party members unlocked this class and as we were playing a question came up. I feel the answer may be obvious, but I figured I'd ask anyway.

Defiance of Death's bottom says that the next three times you suffer damage that would reduce you below 1HP, you suffer no damage instead. On many of the Berserker cards, they state that you can suffer X damage and do some type of attack. If you choose to suffer X damage and trigger Defiance of Death to reduce the damage to none, would you essentially suffer 0 damage since you reduced it or would you get the suffer value?

Another question, Glass Hammer top ability states that "this is not considered damage." I read in the FAQ that this means it can't be mitigated in any way. Does that mean that it goes through shield basically? Is there any other interaction I'm not considering? It's still an attack so a modifier card would be drawn, retaliate would happen if the target lives, etc, right?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G C

Georgia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, if you have defiance of death up, and you use an ability that would damage yourself to zero health or below, you negate the damage but still activate the ability's bonus effect.

As for Glass Hammer, you have the right of it. You will be set to 1 health afterward no matter what. And you still draw a modifier card, which is why I highly recommend you have some means of gaining advantage so you don't miss such a devastating and debilitating attack!

It's also really fun when you use glass hammer against a boss and draw a crit...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot Rose
United States
South Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My interpretation of Glass Hammer is the reduction of your hp to 1 is the part not considered damage (so could not be mitigated by shields). This is separate from the attack, which still requires an attack modifier card, and will still be reduced by shields. The xp from the attack is based on how much damage is done with the attack. There is a slightly larger spacing between the attack/xp statement and the hp reduction statement.

Attack Action
Step 1: Attack X and gain xp
Step 2: Reduce hp to 1 without mitigation

I just looked at the FAQ, and the wording does not clarify which part it is referring to. And how have I never thought to use an item to target multiple targets?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lustenberger
United States
Nashua
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scooters76 wrote:
My interpretation of Glass Hammer is the reduction of your hp to 1 is the part not considered damage

That makes so much more sense, thanks.

Diving slightly deeper, would you say that you gain XP for the damage you inflict before shields or after? Let's say you inflict 15 before shield, 12 after.

I would lean towards the actual damage done after shield would be calculated for XP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lustenberger
United States
Nashua
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chronomodra wrote:
you negate the damage but still activate the ability's bonus effect.

That's one badass combo then. I suppose it makes thematic sense for the class but wow is that strong with a card like the top of Flurry of Axes in a room full of enemies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot Rose
United States
South Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AbyssalStalker wrote:
Diving slightly deeper, would you say that you gain XP for the damage you inflict before shields or after? Let's say you inflict 15 before shield, 12 after.

Actual damage. But as the FAQ mentions, if you do end up attacking multiple targets, calculate the experience separate for each attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Greenfly
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AbyssalStalker wrote:
Chronomodra wrote:

That's one badass combo then. I suppose it makes thematic sense for the class but wow is that strong with a card like the top of Flurry of Axes in a room full of enemies.

IMO it does not work like that in case of abilities, where the X damage suffered is a variable in the action (such as Flurry of Axes), since the damage you would have suffered (let's say 4), is reduced to 0, therefore the X is reduced to 0. Therefore all you would accomplish is an attack 0 in range 3 against all enemies.

In case of abilities such as Strength in Agony, where you may suffer constant damage (2) to add an effect which does not have X as the damage sufffered embedded in them, this "combo" would work perfectly fine.

However, as mentioned above, this is my interpretation of the rules.

EDIT: Browsing through the official FAQ I stumbled upon a similar example with Reckless Offensive, stating that if you suffer no damage the top action does nothing (X as the damage suffered is used in the line "Target X"). This would also confirm my statement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
AbyssalStalker wrote:
Chronomodra wrote:

It's nifty, but it's one I try not to use. Typically if I have Defiance of Death up and running, it's because I'm at 3 or less health and am at least 2 rounds away from my heal. Therefore, I REALLY don't want to be using up the charges myself. I suppose if you are strictly a DPS character and not also trying to be the damage sponge, then it may work better. In my group, I typically suffer about 3-4 "lives" worth of damage before I pass out, so at level 6 somewhere in the neighborhood of 40-50 damage per scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.