Scythe» Forums » Rules

Subject: Automa question: Mech Non-Combat move rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Salyer
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
I played my first 2 games against the Automa. I have a question about the Factory and moving the Mechs. The Non combat move for the mechs states that they will move closest to the Factory. Does that mean they will go to the Factory Hex? Or will they just try to surround it? I've been putting the Automa Mechs on the Factory as much as possible, but am not sure if I am making a correct move for them.

In my first game, the Automa character was on the Factory hex, the next Automa card was Factory/Encounter. So the Automa Character moved off the Factory hex to a hex with an encounter token. I was then able to sneak a worker through the lines on the last turn and control the Factory at the end of the game. Something seemed off about that to me. The better thing to do would be stay on the Factory for the Victory Points.

I've only played against Autometta and Automa so far, I haven't read the higher difficulty rules, I assume they have something that prioritizes control of the Factory?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan West
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mech Move moves closest to an enemy combat unit - and then closest to factory as a tie-break. So if any enemy combat units are adjacent to the factory and the factory is empty, the mech will indeed move onto the factory.

It may seem off to you, but the Automa is also trying to sweep up encounters. The one downside of the Automa cards is it doesn't know how close to end of game you are (a human player would indeed have remained on the factory rather than grabbing another encounter).

Playing against 2 automas I really recommend as well. Much more fun once you've got used to playing against one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan West
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh and also - the higher levels don't change to way the cards play just the speed at which the Automa accumulates stars. If you place a worker on the factory, the only way the Automa is going to regain it is to draw an attacking move vs worker card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Sauinders
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Other than the rule 'Closest to the factory' (0 spaces from the factory or on the factory is the closest the auotma can get to the factory), and character/encounter when the automa has has no factory card are the only rules prioritizing the factory space.

So if you are next to the factory and the automa pulls a combat move and is also next to the factory(but not next to you), it will move on the factory unless it is occupied by another faction (when playing 2 or more automa's)

Sounds like you played the round correctly. (Mort may correct me, but I am 99% certain that is correct)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Studley
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Who fell asleep in the rain? Did you fall asleep in the rain? Yes you did. Oh yes you did.
mbmbmbmbmb
orgtigger wrote:

So if you are next to the factory and the automa pulls a combat move

I believe you mean non-combat move.

Apart from that Jonathan and Adam are correct. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan West
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry yes - I meant non-attacking mech/character move!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.