Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
If I can't solo it, I don't want it
badge
Beards and boardgames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello!

What sort of gameplay are we expecting from this?

I'm quite excited (excited enough to pre-order, even with the high shipping to Australia). Last year I couldn't source a copy of B-17 Queen of the Skies, so when Target for Today was announced I ordered that -- it was a massive disappointment to me, with all the charts inside books which have to be flipped through, photocopying that needed to be done, and the fiddlyness of it all. Ugh.

I quickly returned to my beloved The Hunters, and other games

I'm excited to see that Nightfighter Ace is a game that is "accessible to players of the Hunters", while presumably being fairly different. I don't really know anything about the Nightfighters, so it will be an interesting learning opportunity, too.

Who else is excited? March isn't even very far away!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ian cowley
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I can tell you that I am certainly excited by this development. I too love the Hunters and Silent Victory. The Hunters is the only game that my non wargaming brother will play and is a testament to the excellence of its design. As I see it, there will be a number of problems the pilot will face. Finding the bomber stream, finding an individual bomber to stalk (airborne radar was really dodgy and was only modestly effective at ranges of a couple of km) is the pilot of the enemy plane weaving and changing course regularly, do I forgo a known weaving target to try to find a target that is not maneuvering. All with fuel constraints, weather, and trying to get the
aircraft on the deck safely after a mission (casualty rates on trying to land in the darkness were high). Then in late 44 the problem of being stalked by a Mosquito on an intruder mission. Should make for some great storytelling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Smith
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Graham,
I actually think as a Hunters player you'll find the game system reasonably similar. Why that is, should be logical - instead of submarines stalking convoys, you have nightfighters stalking bomber streams. I don't see this as a bad thing, btw...I did it because it fits the situation.

I truly hope this will be considered my "magnum opus" - the historical research that went into this game was pretty staggering. Several years worth. You have 32 different types of aircraft to choose from (some of which you must first "earn" the right to fly) and just all the crazy historical things that were involved in the nightfighter war, from radars, to spoof raids, to actual moon dates and weather, historical targeting, a plethora of weapons and radars, jamming, homing devices....well, just a lot.

Anyway, I'll try to get some pictures posted up as the artist makes them available.

Cheers,
Greg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Canning
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Greg -

Thanks for the details in your post. I am really looking forward to this one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Webster
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
If I can't solo it, I don't want it
badge
Beards and boardgames!
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m unusually excited too!

Does anybody know, are we still expecting this to start shipping in the next few months? I think it said March on the website.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Smith
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Graham,
That date has been bumped to April. However, as I posted already, I think we're going to hit that, or close to it. The artist has been kicking butt lately....counters done, card backs done, aircraft are done. We have to do the map yet, box cover art, format the charts and rules...but I am pretty confident we're smoking along on track.
Cheers,
Greg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Morka
Finland
Salo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am quite excited about this game too. But i would wish you would do doublecheck QA on game to make sure everything is good to go.

Few Compass games, Wing and prayer and African campaign had several errors in them. Too many mistakes and rushing product i can guess. Rather wait few more months than get product that has errors that everyone can quickly notice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.