Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Silver Samurai
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Hi all

While playing through Scenario 1, it became clear only on finishing the first room that no Battlegoals had been issued. They were issued at that point (and only 1 achieved for a single tick)
In addition, the shields were not taken account of until the last round of a couple of monster fights in rooms 2-3. While it probably wouldn't have changed the overall outcome, it does feel like I (accidentally) cheated, and thus should redo.

I am asking you to be judge and jury, and will follow your verdict regardless.

Poll
Should I:
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Carry on regardless, (re-running the scenario with full knowledge of what to expect may mean an even greater advantage)
70.2% 99
Rerun scenario with same Battle goals?
7.1% 10
Rerun scenario and choose new Battle goals
22.0% 31
Apply a penalty (please comment below on type of penalty)
0.7% 1
Voters 141
This poll is now closed.   141 answers
Poll created by SilverSam
Closes: Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:00 am

Your opinion is appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to participate!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J D
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Rerun it with the same battle goals and applying missed rules. Mainly because the game is fun. Also because scenario 2 is quite challenging (IMHO) and more practice never hurt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
would you and your group enjoy running the scenario again?
if yes, run it again.
if not so much, take it as a learning experience and move on

Unless your mistakes led you to vastly overreward yourselves with XP, loot (gold, items), or checkmarks that you didn't truly earn, then it isn't going to have any major effect on the rest of the campaign one way or the other.

so do what you'd most enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Make a note of the things you messed up so you don't mess 'em up next time, and move on. Or replay scenario one if you missed the treasure chest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kip Kwiatkowski
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Stop it! That tickles! :P
mbmbmbmbmb
If you feel you all got cheated on checks, then give everyone a check. In the long run one added check doesn't make a huge difference since you need 3 to get a perk.

You'll probably find you mess up some rules and monster AI for a few scenarios, better to have fun playing than worry about going back and being meticulous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ontario
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess it kinda depends on what your group prefers.

We played our first game last night and also had a bunch of fumbles happen. We were still learning the rules and getting used to our cards so we made a lot of bad decisions and mistakes early in the scenario. We chose to continue as we figured out stuff moving on through the scenario. Since we messed up pretty bad in the beginning though we ended up all becoming exhausted before we finished the scenario. We're obviously going to re-run it again but I felt that was a just result.

Did your group stop in the middle or keep going?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben W
United States
New York
flag msg tools
My impression is that we are supposed to look at the scenario and our battle goals before choosing items and ability cards.

Therefore, you are going into every scenario knowing which monsters are there and where. I don't think "already knowing" is really an advantage because we are already supposed to "already know".

Maybe I am wrong?

Anyway, we forgot to pick battle goals once. After the first room we realized it and decided to "draw three, pick one" right then and there. Seemed like a fair way to handle.

I wouldn't get hung up on the lost check marks. Your perks and checks will come anyway. Always remember that you can just grind casual or random dungeons to level up, get money, and achieve battle goals. The game is very scalable and there is no "proper" level to be at in the campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Samurai
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks everyone for your replies and views so far.

Ryalyn wrote:

Did your group stop in the middle or keep going?

Characters fought through to the end, snatching victory from the jaws of defeat with only 3 cards remaining each.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't worry, there will be a lot more times where you will discover you made rule errors or played the monster AI completely wrong. Learn and carry on!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Johnson
United States
Cedar Falls
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
BWagsKP03 wrote:
My impression is that we are supposed to look at the scenario and our battle goals before choosing items and ability cards.

Therefore, you are going into every scenario knowing which monsters are there and where. I don't think "already knowing" is really an advantage because we are already supposed to "already know".

I believe the official setup is to have all the monster cards (stat and ability) present, and just the first room actually set up prior to the start of the scenario, and maybe all the map tiles in place.
However, the actual placement of the contents (monsters, overlay tiles) shouldn't be common knowledge until they're actually revealed through door opening.

Of course some groups play with less knowledge available (using apps/PDFs that hide all information besides just the first room) and I suppose some use more.

But yes, battle goals are dealt/chosen prior to item and card selection.

faq wrote:
Beginning of Scenario Choices

What is the exact order of my choices at the beginning of a scenario in terms of battle goals, ability cards, and equipped items?
The first thing you should do when starting a scenario (after going through a Road Event when applicable), is look in the scenario book to get the map tiles set up, all the monsters you will be fighting prepared, and apply any negative scenario effects. Next, you should deal battle goals and choose one. After choosing your battle goals, then you can decided which items you would like to equip from the ones you own (adding in -1 cards to you attack modifier deck when applicable) and which ability cards you would like to start with from the pool of those you have available to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Samurai
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

BWagsKP03 wrote:

The Scenario Viewer app is being used here which means there's no foreknowledge and only one room is revealed at a time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For our first 1.25 games, I was drawing from the Attack Modifier deck as Defense as well as Offense. Obviously, the Null and especially the 2x don't make a lot of sense for Defense...which is why I knew I was doing something wrong.

We just kept pushing through with the correct rules. You're going to play hundreds of hours. That mess up isn't going to have a huge effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
Make a note of the things you messed up so you don't mess 'em up next time, and move on. Or replay scenario one if you missed the treasure chest.

This. It's safe to assume that for each mistake you make to your group's benefit, you'll also make one to your benefit, and vice versa. It'll even out, in the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Owen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your penalty is guilt.

Now learn your lesson and get on with the rest of the game! Way too much more fun to be had for honest mistakes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.