Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Boisselle
Canada
Boucherville
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Within the realm of color, the shadows often assume responsibility for the awkward shine of yellow.
mbmbmbmbmb
Saw this earlier this week:

I was thinking of doing a game with these.
But you need some kind of tray/barriers to hold the rolling pieces from falling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer the d3's that kind of look like a baguette.

They roll well enough and stop, which is just as important.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Boisselle
Canada
Boucherville
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Within the realm of color, the shadows often assume responsibility for the awkward shine of yellow.
mbmbmbmbmb
But think of it like this:

You've got heads and tails and "side".
But what if "side" had increments on it?
Like some ruler, with sections marked with values of some sorts?
It would roll, then stop, and the value you would see on top, that would be a value for the "side"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Nyberg
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
what about a D6 numbered 1-3 twice?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Windischer
Austria
Innsbruck
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The big problem with the cylinders is: The probability of the sides depends on your throwing technique.
It will lead to disputes if the die was thrown in a legit way. The only way to avoid this is by making clear rules for that. And the only such rule I can imagine that would work would be a dice tower.
Any other solution would lead to a dexterity game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So it lands on its edge and rolls off the table. Brilliant argument for a dice tray salesman.

Think I'll stick with the 3-sided "footballs", or just go with the old d6/2 approach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Bush
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MartinWin wrote:
The big problem with the cylinders is: The probability of the sides depends on your throwing technique.
It will lead to disputes if the die was thrown in a legit way. The only way to avoid this is by making clear rules for that. And the only such rule I can imagine that would work would be a dice tower.
Any other solution would lead to a dexterity game.

Unless using a dice tower I think the oriention of the dice relative to the throw direction is of primary concern. If the axis of the circular “side” is parallel to the direction of the throw then the die will tumble, giving a chance for each side to present. If the axis is perpendicular to the direction of throw then the die will roll so the likely outcome is the round side. A fully symmetrical (dimensions & weight) object is the only way to have completely random chance and as pointed out by earlier poster a d6 does the same thing as a d3.

But the thing this provides is a way to have 3 outcomes of nearly equal likelihood but as another poster suggested have one of the outcomes have a variety of “other” outcomes. So giving flat sides A & B 33% chance each, and if round side C was divided (painted?) into 3 segments yielding 11% for each of those outcomes. Fun to think about but maybe too easy to “manipulate “.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Lennert
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
klbush wrote:
Unless using a dice tower I think the oriention of the dice relative to the throw direction is of primary concern. If the axis of the circular “side” is parallel to the direction of the throw then the die will tumble, giving a chance for each side to present. If the axis is perpendicular to the direction of throw then the die will roll so the likely outcome is the round side.

It's not clear to me that this is a serious issue. Yes, if you throw the die so that it is spinning like a wheel, it will always land on an edge; but that's also true of regular dice (you can spin a d6 such that only 4 of the sides have a chance), and it mostly doesn't matter because you don't need to be very far off from perfect alignment in order to nullify the effect.

The problem that I anticipate is that the faces are more stable than the edge, and so when the die hits the table and bounces, it is probably more likely to bounce from an edge to a face than vice-versa. Thus, even if the initial landing has an equal probability for all results, the results will be skewed because the "settling" has a bias.

And I'd guess the likelihood depends on how fast the die is spinning, how much force it lands with, and the surface it lands on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Etkin
United States
Gloversville
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
biddi biddi biddi
mbmbmbmbmb
bill437 wrote:

Came here to suggest that. whistle

"D3" seems like needless over-engineering to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JPotter
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I enjoy designing / manufacturing game components and upgrades. Got a project? PM!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bill437 wrote:

Quite a few games have just that, either with numbers or symbols.

Not that I can name any off the top of my head.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Bush
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MOTHDevil wrote:
bill437 wrote:

Agreed, unless you want a varied % outcome as in my post above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Meyer
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
klbush wrote:
MOTHDevil wrote:
bill437 wrote:

I bought some d3 from Speilmaterial.de

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ward
Japan
Matsumoto
Nagano
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
ahzzz wrote:
klbush wrote:
MOTHDevil wrote:
bill437 wrote:

I bought some d3 from Speilmaterial.de

did you mean http://spielmaterial.de/ ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ren
Italy
Pavia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
klbush wrote:
MOTHDevil wrote:
bill437 wrote:

You can use percentile dice for that, no need to create a novelty die. Unless the goal is to create a novelty die. But pretty much any combination that you need for game design, you can recreate using standard polyhedral dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Who Am I?
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that people suggesting alternative methods to get the same results are missing the point of this experiment. It's not really about making something practical - it's about the challenging fun of understanding the numbers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
mbmbmbmbmb
For actual d3s that look to solve the "how you throw them" issue, https://www.mathartfun.com/d357.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Meyer
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
aye

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.