United States
Cherry Hill
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Hey, let's play some games!
badge
What's your favorite game?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be hosting my first play tonight, 4p. Any tips, reminders, etc?

I think we'll use the Archway set of season cards along with the core ones as suggested in the rule book. And the suggested 4 Kami in the order proposed in the rules.

Should we pick clans randomly or is one of the starter 5 better to leave out? Def leaving out the Fox clan, everything from Dynasty and Kami Unbound.

Should we add 0, 1, or 2 monsters to each season from the Monster Pack / Daiymo Box? Any specific monsters to keep out or include?

Super excited, will have Japanese beer, sake, and a "Tea Ceremony" playlist of traditional Japan music playing.

Now to start planning on who's back I will stab my figurative Katan into!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Octavius
Canada
Chilliwack
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I plan on playing a couple of games when I have people over to play for the first time, so the first game will just be the 'core' game, no expansions or KS extras, and then we'll see what we want to add for the second game.

Robbonj wrote:
...and a "Tea Ceremony" playlist of traditional Japan music playing.

That sounds great. I'd appreciate a YouTube or spotify link of whatever you use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I get to play my first one I'm planning on doing it bare bones without even extra monsters. There's plenty to learn without worrying about extraneous monster rules, esp since there isn't an official FAQ yet.

I love your theming suggestions!

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Smith
Switzerland
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I am concerned, I am only going to play with extra monsters. I have no personal aversion to using the fox clan, and would hope to get an even number of people the first play, so no one feels left out on first play through.

Ive also thought of hosting with Sushi made by a local spot, and also having traditional flute music during the diplomacy stage, and anything japanese traditional with drums for the war phase.

Political Phase
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8LojH3rFw0&list=RDd8LojH3rF...

War
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8kuXyVZ5v8&t

I really like this soundtrack, but its mostly for the war phase(Shogun Total War 2)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ2VisWsItc&list=RDJJ2VisWsI...

Shits and giggles (Guns and Roses cover by a traditional Japanese band)
https://youtu.be/CtM0iD3rxgw?t=46s
Tons more of these too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
I played a 4 player game earlier in the week with no expansion material. We got a few rules wrong, due to rushing through the rulebook too quickly. Here are the things we missed/got wrong in our first game:

Nothing gets hidden behind the player screen except for bids during war phase.

Betray Mandates only allow figures to replace other figures of the same type (shinto to shinto, bushi to bushi, monster to monster).

Ronin are not spent during battles; they stay with the player and can be used in multiple battles within the same war phase.

We also had trouble with ambiguous card text, such as "Path of the Kenin" which allows for additional bushi to be placed after each summon. We played that the player gets an extra bushi per figure summoned, so they could get several extra bushi per recruit mandate. However, I've since come around to believing that the player should only receive one extra bushi per recruit mandate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan S
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
Going to echo other folks. I do recommend using the Archway season cards. I did add some of the extra monsters, but not the Kami or Dynasty stuff. To add extra monsters, I shuffled the extra monster decks and added 2 to each season at random.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Smith
Switzerland
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Terminizor wrote:
Going to echo other folks. I do recommend using the Archway season cards. I did add some of the extra monsters, but not the Kami or Dynasty stuff. To add extra monsters, I shuffled the extra monster decks and added 2 to each season at random.

Im going to pick my favorite monsters for each season the first time

Spring- Kotahi, Jimenju
Summer- Koneko, Nure-Onna
Fall- Daikaiju, Kitsune or Sacred Warrior, I cant make up mind on thsoe ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cool Glad you're willing to panda to your own tastes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daniel bullen
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmb
Look up Yoshida Brothers for excellent Japanese music

They did some tracks for various metal gear solid games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.