Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have many duel master cards, and it's hard to find players to play. One thing did in the past is to make custom deck, and simply give decks premade deck to people so that they could play immediately. That is the easier way I found to do it.

But I was wondering if there was other ways?

The problem is that there are many ways to make a deck, and most ccg will try to make combinations, so there are no default deck that could be assembled. Many valid deck are possible.

The only drawback is that CCG are flagged, and will sometimes not get played by certain players. So I was wondering if there was a way to turn a CCG into a non-collectible card game a bit like the Epic card game for example.

In Epic, each card is unique, that is a starting point for the construction of the deck since it cannot be based on a strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am really only familiar with one CCG: Illuminati: New World Order. One of the products for INWO was a factory set -- basically one of each card that had been put out up through a certain date. The publisher actually has rules to play with the whole deck if people want to do so:
http://www.sjgames.com/inwo/rules/variants/onebigdeck.html
There may be some ideas there that could apply to your situation as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gimo Barrera
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
We should take Bikini Bottom
badge
and push it somewhere else
mbmbmbmbmb
I do this with: Magic the Gathering, Yu-Gi-Oh!, and Dice Master.

For MTG and Yugioh, I searched decklist all of similar strength and proxy them. I buy the cards to complete the decks as I see them on the market. This makes it so I can easily choose between a variety of decks, and caan always have cards for other players to play against. This also is better than pre-constructed decks which are usually very linear.

For Dice Masters, I got rid of all the cards I did not have 4 dice for, and whenever I play it we draft a deck instead by randomly selecting cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damn Dirty Ape!
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sounds like you want a cube. Its a large stack of cards from which many decks can be constructed. Cards are randomly pulled from the cube, drafted, then constructed into a deck. Games are usually in some kind of tournament format for multiple players, or best of 3 or best of 5 for two players

There are many resources on this format on google and youtube. Mostly associated with MTG, but can probably be applied to any ccg.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I might not want to allow player customizing deck, but it could be a possibility. Epic had various ways to play, pick all cards of same color for each player, you split colors in half and put 2 half. You use a cube like mechanism where everybody draws from the same deck. Or you customise your deck.

But epic has no colored mana requirement which allow this flexibility. Duel Master has colored mana, but any card can be a mana. So you need at most 1 card of the matching color in play to summon other cards of the same color. So playing 5 mixed color is a bit more slower at the beginning, but it could work.

Epic has a low amount of spells, and is mostly composed of monsters. Same thing for Duel Masters, so I could use the same spell ratio. The only difference is that all epic spell can be substituted for a draw 2 cards spell. That is an optional rule I could add for all spells. It would make all spells useful in all situation. Since I can choose which card will be in the game, I could remove the card drawing spells.

Epic also have unique monsters that prevent dictating a strategy and might be more interesting as you need to use you card more creatively. It also prevent the need to have a lot of copies of each card to be efficient.

But I will have to remove cards which are related to card type for example. Having a card gain strength for each dragon in play is not an option. Those kind of cards would normally go into a dragon constructed deck, but since I all cards will be unique, that will not be the case.

So I think I'll analyse a bit more the structure of epic and see if I can make a generic stack of cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Pietrocupo
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By thinking about it, I want the opposite of strategy decks. You have to come up with a strategy as you draw the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.