Erik Boyko
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I read the rules, but I haven't had a chance to play the game yet. Am I correct in my understanding that the curved tracks do not have any impact on gameplay? Further to that, besides the location and length of ascents and descents, the layout of the track is irrelevant beyond aesthetics?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Almarr Ormarsson
Iceland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct. It might seem like a missed opportunity but I think rules for curves would be very unnecessary. It would make the game convoluted and besides, curves don't have a big impact on cycling (not like in car racing anyway).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
the layout of the track is irrelevant beyond aesthetics

Well, that and fitting it on your table

But yeah, the track is essentially a straight line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Pages
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grautur wrote:
curves don't have a big impact on cycling (not like in car racing anyway).

... I am not a racer, but it looks like the tight turns can throw the riders off balance, thereby losing valuable time: https://goo.gl/images/jVDLwt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Almarr Ormarsson
Iceland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
guigtexas wrote:
grautur wrote:
curves don't have a big impact on cycling (not like in car racing anyway).

... I am not a racer, but it looks like the tight turns can throw the riders off balance, thereby losing valuable time: https://goo.gl/images/jVDLwt

I'm not a racer either and I'm sure curves do have an impact from time to time, I'm just not sure it's worth simulating in a game as "simple" as this one (simple in rules, not strategy imo).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Boyko
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification, everyone. I appreciate minimal rules overhead, so if the game is as elegant as everyone claims, I won't consider this a missed opportunity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grautur wrote:
and besides, curves don't have a big impact on cycling (not like in car racing anyway).

This. Aside from the last couple of km on a sprint stage (where it's more about where you are front to back in a strung-out Peleton rather than left to right), bends in the road make almost no difference at all. Save when the wind is blowing strong, and the road curves in a direction that promotes echelons. Seen at least one fascinating TdF stage that was SUPPOSED to be a nailed-on mass sprint finish that was blown apart by crosswinds with more than 20k to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.