Subject: Fallout Combat Flow Chart rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Knapp
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So this weekend I'll be teaching Fallout for the first time to a hardcore fan of the video games. While I'm still trying to determine in what order I might teach components verses actions, what I'm most concerned with is how to teach combat, because frankly I think the rulebook(s) kinda do a shoddy job at explaining it - the clarifications of what happens and when various numbers are counted/calculated are spread out in too many places in the books.

So I tossed together a rudimentary flow chart that I was going to print and keep in my box. Ultimately I'll probably move it to Photoshop where I can add a nice background - maybe make it match the textures of the rulebooks - and kinda compress it down for size to fit in the box. But for now I wanted to post it here, mainly to make sure I didn't miss anything or get something wrong. So with that said, I welcome your feedback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan
United States
Clayton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
You may want to distinguish that enemy hits are resolved before survivor hits

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcio Ferreira
Portugal
Viana do Castelo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In the 3 cases below the resolution is the same:
d10-1 Is enemy in your space= YES
d10-2 Do you have a ranged weapon = YES + Does the enemy have a ranged icon =YES
d10-3 Does the enemy have a ranged icon =YES + Do you have a ranged weapon = YES

On the resolution of "Player has advantage" says "player assumes on additional hit" but on the resolution of "Enemy has advantage" says "enemy scores one additional hit"; I would go for similar wording, and clarify who takes the damage/hit

And, all of the cases (where there's combat) could finalize on a single step which includes the rolling of VATS dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Knapp
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
goryon wrote:
In the 3 cases below the resolution is the same:
d10-1 Is enemy in your space= YES
d10-2 Do you have a ranged weapon = YES + Does the enemy have a ranged icon =YES
d10-3 Does the enemy have a ranged icon =YES + Do you have a ranged weapon = YES

On the resolution of "Player has advantage" says "player assumes on additional hit" but on the resolution of "Enemy has advantage" says "enemy scores one additional hit"; I would go for similar wording, and clarify who takes the damage/hit

And, all of the cases (where there's combat) could finalize on a single step which includes the rolling of VATS dice.

Oh damn good point - I can remove two of the boxes and have four arrows pointing to the central "conclusion". And yeah I thought about matching the wording but was trying to compensate for the fact that players hit with VATS symbols, while enemies hit with the '*' symbols.

Cool thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Knapp
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
HerbinLegend wrote:
You may want to distinguish that enemy hits are resolved before survivor hits

Well, I had thought about continuing the flow chart with:

"Did enemy hit you?" "Do you have armor?" "Did enemy exhaust your hit points?" but then this thing was going to get WAY bigger than I wanted it to...

As far as resolving who hits first, that part IS fairly covered in the rules, so I wasn't going to bog this down with the obvious stuff - just the stuff that's kinda scattered in the rules.

But now that I see I have some redundancy, maybe I can collapse this and add more to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Knapp
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wow yeah that's better already - I like it. Thanks for the tips so far!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carter Burke
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks great. FFG should employ you.

Good design principle is standardize YES and NO locations.
Here at the top you have yes on the left and no on right.
Next line down you have no on the left...

Just a Minor issue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Avon
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Or color code the yes/no results. Or, if you're worried about color blind mode, use different "box" borders for the yes/no results.

Either way, that's a good summary. I'm assuming you're leaving out aggressive and retreat as they're triggers that involve before/after combat versus initiating contact?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Knapp
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
nicoga3000 wrote:
Or color code the yes/no results. Or, if you're worried about color blind mode, use different "box" borders for the yes/no results.

Either way, that's a good summary. I'm assuming you're leaving out aggressive and retreat as they're triggers that involve before/after combat versus initiating contact?

Yeah I was basically just looking to sort out the rules involving dice modifiers. It's possible I just didn't read the rules thoroughly enough the first time through, but I felt that they were really vague on combat - especially ranged combat across adjacent spaces. Looking at the rules now, I see it's all there, but it's not all together - player attacking is one paragraph on one page, enemy attacks are bulletized on a different page - it's just jumbled. And dying during combat is covered in the "killed" portion of the rules reference booklet - not in ANY of the combat/fighting sections of either rule book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Knapp
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Carter_Burke wrote:
Looks great. FFG should employ you.

Good design principle is standardize YES and NO locations.
Here at the top you have yes on the left and no on right.
Next line down you have no on the left...

Just a Minor issue

I hear ya, but I was trying to keep the lines from criss-crossing where different options along each path can reach a common outcome. I suspect that if I started to include things like aggressive enemies, armor effects, character death, retreating, and whether combat is part of a quest card, this thing would look like a contemporary abstract art piece...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.