Amy P
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked up a copy of the game with a number of extra packs from ebay about a year ago. I tried playing it once to get the feel for it, but after losing that game, I had to put it away (two evil kitties in my house would hide all of the cards from me if I ever tried to leave a game set up). Since then, every time I think about getting it out again, I'm just overwhelmed with the thought of figuring out which cards I need to be able to play again.

An idea occurred to me this week to just make up a "current quest" pack in a single deck box that I could take to work with me to play during my lunch hour, but I look at the box again and am once again just totally overwhelmed and almost afraid of the time it will take to figure out what I would need to take, especially since I'm still not familiar enough with the game to really understand all of the cards.

Any suggestions on how can I simplify this game to make it less scary and know what to pull out to be able to play the scenario I'm on? (I think I'm seeing why it's probably better for a first-time player of this game to literally start with just the base game and SLOWLY add packs, rather than buy an existing set!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Amy,

If you only have an hour, you're going to play once, maybe twice, and you probably won't have time to tweak your deck much, it at all. Build a player deck at home (or just choose one of the one-sphere starter decks), and just bring this:

1) Your player deck;
2) The encounter deck for the quest you want to play;
3) A threat tracker;
4) The resource, progress and damage tokens.

That's it! If you decide to tweak your deck afterwards, just do it at home where all your cards are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Buchholz
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
flutegirl wrote:
I picked up a copy of the game with a number of extra packs from ebay about a year ago. I tried playing it once to get the feel for it, but after losing that game, I had to put it away (two evil kitties in my house would hide all of the cards from me if I ever tried to leave a game set up). Since then, every time I think about getting it out again, I'm just overwhelmed with the thought of figuring out which cards I need to be able to play again.

An idea occurred to me this week to just make up a "current quest" pack in a single deck box that I could take to work with me to play during my lunch hour, but I look at the box again and am once again just totally overwhelmed and almost afraid of the time it will take to figure out what I would need to take, especially since I'm still not familiar enough with the game to really understand all of the cards.

Any suggestions on how can I simplify this game to make it less scary and know what to pull out to be able to play the scenario I'm on? (I think I'm seeing why it's probably better for a first-time player of this game to literally start with just the base game and SLOWLY add packs, rather than buy an existing set!)

Well all the cards have set indicators on them (I unfortunately need a magnifying glass to see them (even my glasses can't clearly help me make some of them out)) so you can separate different quests/sets that way. Also player cards and encounter deck cards have different backs so that is easy to sort. My suggestion is sort them out by the icons on the front pf cards and put "sets" into storage together (to stop the minions of Sauron (evil kitties) I would probably put in Ziploc bags and then back into a box).
Once its all sorted, go to Hall of beorn and follow Beorn's path
here:
https://hallofbeorn.wordpress.com/beorns-path/

This gives you a slow steady progression on building decks and shows them in use on the first quests (Core and Mirkwood cycle). It goes into some of the thought process around which cards to choose - that was what helped me "get it".
Before you can do any of it though yu really need to separate out the encounter cards/decks and such, so you know what you have.
Also Ringsdb.com can be a great source of inspiration and a great tool for you to try and build decks. Ringsdb.com gives you the ability to limit your deck building to the cards you own (by set) so that can be a huge help as well.

Take some time to sort out the cards then travel down's Beorn's path. I think you'll have a great time and at least it will help you decide if you love it or not. (BTW the advantage of sorting is if you find it isn't the game for you, then you can resell it with full knowledge of what you have for pricing). IF you are a Middle Earth fan I think you'll like the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy P
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:
Hi Amy,

If you only have an hour, you're going to play once, maybe twice, and you probably won't have time to tweak your deck much, it at all. Build a player deck at home (or just choose one of the one-sphere starter decks), and just bring this:

1) Your player deck;
2) The encounter deck for the quest you want to play;
3) A threat tracker;
4) The resource, progress and damage tokens.

That's it! If you decide to tweak your deck afterwards, just do it at home where all your cards are.

See! That makes it sound so much less overwhelming, right there. I might even be able to calm my fears of the boxes enough tonight to try to put that together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy P
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dren608 wrote:

Once its all sorted, go to Hall of beorn and follow Beorn's path
here:
https://hallofbeorn.wordpress.com/beorns-path/

This gives you a slow steady progression on building decks and shows them in use on the first quests (Core and Mirkwood cycle). It goes into some of the thought process around which cards to choose - that was what helped me "get it".

Ooh, quick glance at that page, and I like the concept there, since even if I'm not prepared to geek out and build my own decks, they can give me suggested decks while I get to know the game well.

Dren608 wrote:

Take some time to sort out the cards then travel down's Beorn's path. I think you'll have a great time and at least it will help you decide if you love it or not. (BTW the advantage of sorting is if you find it isn't the game for you, then you can resell it with full knowledge of what you have for pricing). IF you are a Middle Earth fan I think you'll like the game.

Yes, quite a fan of Middle Earth, so I rather doubt I'll sell it, even if it doesn't make it into a regular play cycle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with ya Amy - once you buy a bunch of expansions, the amount of cards is overwhelming. I don't want to build a new deck every time I want to try a scenario.

I second ringsdb.com. You can copy decks from there, or at least build a deck based off one of them. If you want to try a "One Deck to Rule Them All", I highly recommend the "Back to Basics" deck. I had a lot of success with that all the way through Dwarrowdelf, just tweaking it slightly based on the scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I agree with the sorting suggestion. For me it's helpful to have all the player cards sorted by Sphere, then by Hero/Ally/Attachment/Event, and then by Cost within each category. So when I'm looking for my 2 cost Spirit Allies, I know right where to go. Also, I try to sort all Encounter cards by their Quest symbols and keep them all in the Deluxe Box for that cycle, if possible. HallofBeorn also has an excellent filtered card search that allows accounting for all the cards needed for any given scenario among many other helpful uses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy P
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the set I have is fairly well sorted (it came with a Broken Token organizer in the core box, and the previous owner had printed out divider cards and such - I just remember being so overwhelmed by the number of cards that I wasn't even sure what to do with them all!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Assuming everything is sorted, a suggestion if you are new to the game:

go to http://hallofbeorn.com/LotR and choose 'Core Set' from the card set box, then choose 'Spirit' from the sphere box. The results will show you the Spirit cards and the quantity of each card that come in a core box. Pull out those cards, including the heroes. That is the starting deck for Spirit.

Then, assemble the Encounter cards for Passage Through Mirkwood, the first scenario in the core set. Put the Encounter deck and Spirit deck in a deck box for easy transport.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
I put together a nice solution for taking on the go. I play two handed, but it's still compact. This has the Passage Through Mirkwood in it right now, so some large quests may not quite fit?

Have a look.

Here is the closed box:

Here is the open box. There's a comparment at the bottom for all the tokens and I got some dials for threat and round tracking.

Here is the full contents. I printed out the rules from order of gamers on a small sheet front/back. Then a small iuick guide for turn order and keywords.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy P
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
avtar wrote:
I put together a nice solution for taking on the go. I play two handed, but it's still compact. This has the Passage Through Mirkwood in it right now, so some large quests may not quite fit?

Have a look.

Here is the closed box:

Here is the open box. There's a comparment at the bottom for all the tokens and I got some dials for threat and round tracking.

Here is the full contents. I printed out the rules from order of gamers on a small sheet front/back. Then a small iuick guide for turn order and keywords.

Very nice! Where did you find the little dials?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
Litko.net has them.

1-100 dial for threat: http://www.litko.net/products.php?product=Circle-Combat-Dial...

1-10 dial for round tracker: http://www.litko.net/products.php?product=Circle-Combat-Dial...

Rules: https://www.orderofgamers.com/downloads/LordoftheRingsLCG_v2...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Murphy
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Fore!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dren608 wrote:

Before you can do any of it though yu really need to separate out the encounter cards/decks and such, so you know what you have.
Also Ringsdb.com can be a great source of inspiration and a great tool for you to try and build decks. Ringsdb.com gives you the ability to limit your deck building to the cards you own (by set) so that can be a huge help as well.

As someone who mostly doesn't have time to build my own decks, I love Ringsdb.com. Once you've set up your profile and logged the cards you own, you can search the deck database for decks only made from cards you have. Very convenient.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy P
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, thanks to everyone's help, I was able to pull out the encounter cards and the deck suggested at Hall of Beorn and give this one a shot over lunch.

Slow going, as it's only the second time I've ever pulled out the game, so there was a lot of pausing to confirm the next step, etc, but so far (and I think without too many blatant rule violations), I made it to step 3 of Passage through Mirkwood with all of my heroes healthy, and only one (of five) allies wounded.

I can definitely see how the deck-building aspect could be quite intriguing, and I'm sure I'll want to start digging into that as I get deeper into the quests I have (all of the Mirkwood cycle, and all but one (currently awaiting reprint) adventure pack of the Khazad-dûm cycle.)

I think it'll be quite a while before I delve into the Nightmare decks I also have, though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Padraic Kirby
United States
Crown Point
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As for the kitties. Get a cheap 36"x24" plastic poster frame from Michaels, Walgreens, etc. Go to Home Depot and get their blue, green or beige outdoor carpet about $20. Cut and place carpet on the poster frame. You now have a playing tray area you can place on a table and when done can just pick up and place on top of a bookcase or put in a room the cats cannot access. Pull it out to continue playing.

Pat

Carpet:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/TrafficMASTER-Seafront-Color-Bay...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amy P
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
avtar wrote:

Have a look.

Here is the closed box:

I opted to do exactly as you did on the deck box (except green), and found these trackers https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0786TCVYL, which then double as dividers. Nice and compact!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristy Moruso
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Them cards will screw you...
badge
Lil anteater nose!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!
I had bought a second core set last year so naturally I had an excess box. So I just fit the bags of tokens, a few quests + encounters, and my decks into the box for travel. Not that this game has done much traveling....or any...but the game boxes themselves can do the trick if you have any extras.
Happy questing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.