Vez A
Germany
Kiel
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
There‘s a nice mention of All Bridges Burning in the episode 14 of the wargame podcast Wild Weasel by Bruce Geryk.

Bruce says: “This is going to be a 3-player COIN game which sounds like it could be another landmark in the series after Colonial Twilight so effectively established COIN as a two-player game ... or it could show how hard it is to keep a three-player game from evolving into two players spying a third player to gang up on”.

Check out the podcast at www.wargamespace.com

(I cannot quite make out if it’s “spying” but you get the gist.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vez A
Germany
Kiel
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb

As to Bruce's worry, I'm happy to be able to say that I have not seen any special ganging up effects in All Bridges ---beyond the usual COIN phenomenon of the leader tending to get pummeled if they are getting too close to winning.

I should also say that there are two aspects that I think contribute to lessening the bash the leader phenomenon in a COIN game that are also present in All Bridges:

1) It is good design policy to balance the game such that at the game end all factions typically have a shot at winning (provided they played competently). In such circumstances I've seen it e.g. in Cuba Libre that the factions rather focus on improving their own lot (than gang up on the leader) because improving your own lot "just that little bit" can take YOU over the finish line first. This is a very subtle but I think powerful dynamic I'm seeing in some of the COIN games.

2) The above aspect gets emphasized if the faction victory conditions have been designed such that they aren't mutually exclusive. In All Bridges, for example, it is possible for all factions simultaneously to be in a winning position (although at the latest the victory margins will solve ties, of course). The game being designed in that way gives the factions the option of seeking to win "more" rather than seeking to bash each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.