Subject: Skids rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think Skids is unplayable or that everyone has to be equally strong, but I want to like Skids more and this just occurred to me.

He can now gain 1 Action for 1 (instead of 2) Resource. He also must start each game with Indebted (in addition to Hospital Debts and a random basic weakness).

That's it. I haven't had a chance to play him that way, but I think it could work, making his ability much more useful but adding a little counterbalance that also fits his theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B.D. Flory
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Skids has a lot of ways to gain bonus resources, and several repeatable ways, that would essentially just make this free money every round (somewhat dependent on difficulty).

I like skids a lot. He's just a finesse character. The ability is balanced such that you pay a premium for the flexibility of when you spend your excess actions, banked as resources. Making it 1-to-1 means that his ability doesn't actually "cost" anything for you to save an action now and use it later, and it almost certainly should.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hotovec
msg tools
mbmbmb
I didn't like Skids at first for the same reasons he seemed to be to weak and/or his ability was too expensive to use. However I built several Skids decks over the past month and he is quickly becoming my favorite. His ability is fine where it is, but what helped me is to realize Skids should only try to stop willpower based attacks if he has no choice, otherwise you should plan expendable allies/items that can just absorb the horror and/or damage you would take or to heal it. It has opened my ideas for skids and just the other day I ran through the core set scenario with a succeed by 2 or more Skids using lvl 0 switchblade and opportunist and I'm starting to see his usefulness. So I would say try just running a little heavy on allies and liquid courage and see what happens, it may not work but I am now firmly in the camp that he is worth the work you have to do to find a good deck for him. Plus the insanity that can now be done with the latest Mythos pack is bordering on Legendary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fair points all, and I appreciate the feedback. Maybe I haven't spent enough time with Skids recently - I tried using him a couple of times back when it was just the Core, but rarely since.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just crushed Dunwich with Skids and Akachi. Double or Nothing plus Streetwise made short work of Sentinel Hill. But I did find resources to be a problem.

A friend and I were planning to take this team through Carcosa, but I just picked up Norman and I think i want to give him a try instead of Akachi. Either way, I might swap in Teamwork and let the other investigator be Skids' sugar mama/daddy.

Edit: I used a minor tweak of this deck, which is extremely well-documented. See my comments there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Starking177 wrote:
Plus the insanity that can now be done with the latest Mythos pack is bordering on Legendary.

Yup, that new Lvl 0 card is definitely going with Skids into our Carcosa game. It's not the surest way to shore up the resource issue, but it's Skids' way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Chris Miller
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Logged in just to say Skids is not weak. He's great and extremely playable. I cringe every time someone says otherwise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.