Subject: Line of Sight or no Line of Sight? - How would you rule? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
guest guest
United States
Danvers
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
We are not sure how to rule here. What do you guys think? Is line of sight there or not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric S
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Are there figures in the central area - if not yes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Nuss
United States
San Pedro
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In those situations I would say they have LOS. Granted, we play casually and aren't trying to get hung up on how close to the line something is. If it's extremely obvious there is another area or object in front of the area then we will say they don't have LOS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
guest guest
United States
Danvers
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Eric the Shed wrote:
Are there figures in the central area - if not yes

In the case of the central area targeting the ruin area, is it 1 range or 2? The line could also be interpreted so that the other ruin area is between them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hauni Anderson
Sweden
flag msg tools
To be exact, the 2 lines in the ruins area is not in the exact center. I actually think the area furthest away is out of los by the other ruins area. Its often very Hard to determin los propely. Wonder how it Will work in tournaments? For casual play you can Always Rule in favor for los.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
guest guest
United States
Danvers
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Hauni wrote:
To be exact, the 2 lines in the ruins area is not in the exact center. I actually think the area furthest away is out of los by the other ruins area. Its often very Hard to determin los propely. Wonder how it Will work in tournaments? For casual play you can Always Rule in favor for los.

Well that's another thing. The rules never say you have to measure from center to center. Just from mark to mark. So depending on how you measure something may be in los or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, at first I thought cases like this where LOS between adjacent areas wasn't clear (without 3d terrain & units) were few and far between... but taking out the map and drawing LOS's for all areas to all adjacent areas I see there are way more occurrences than I thought*...not to mention LOS's that skirt obstacles like your example.

I'm starting to now think this was intentional and part of the way areas were drawn... basically to give lots of ways to strategically place units.

I don't know...maybe I'm crazy.

*Red areas have at least one adjacent area that has a blocked line of site due to another area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hauni Anderson
Sweden
flag msg tools
The guys i played with on the styx Map had a Hard time shooting anyting from more than 1 spaces away. Guess it makes climbing rocks very important for ranged units. I Wonder if they really could have playtested all Maps for los, seems so complex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules-lawyer response 1: "If the line drawn between the two centers crosses an obstructed area, then there is no LOS. The two LOS to the space on the right are blocked by the ruins (your lines aren't quite center-to-center) but the LOS to the lower space just misses the rock."

Rules-lawyer response 2: "Technically, the rules say to "imagine a straight line". So if those are the lines you imagined, then you have LOS. You might want to imagine those lines a little further to the left to reduce ambiguity."

Casual gamer response: "You know, those LOS are close enough to being clear; at most they nick the corner of those other spaces. It looks like the designers *meant* for there to be LOS. Yeah, let's count that as clear LOS."

I'd go with the last response, myself, but feel free to pick the one that best fits with your group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Castro
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not that it matters any, but Jake Thornton did say "units can always see into adjacent areas" pg 19.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Smith
United Kingdom
Gillingham
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it clips we allow Los as it's not really blocked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
guest guest
United States
Danvers
Massachusetts
flag msg tools

Can unit A attack unit B with a range 1 attack? (no other units around)

The areas are right next to one another but if you draw a line from mark to mark then there's another area inbetween. Is that only relevant for LoS or also for determining range?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guest wrote:

Can unit A attack unit B with a range 1 attack? (no other units around)

The areas are right next to one another but if you draw a line from mark to mark then there's another area inbetween. Is that only relevant for LoS or also for determining range?

Range and LOS are determined separately.

For being "in range" the rules say:

A target is in range if the attacker’s range is equal
to,or greater than, the shortest distance to it. Count
the distance the same way you count movement. You
do not have to follow a straight line.

So your example is in range.

But I missed this one when I made my post earlier. This is another case of a piece of an area blocking two adjacent areas.

If another unit was in that area, LOS would be blocked:

A target is visible if no obstacles are in the way. To
check this, imagine a straight line of sight joining the
centre marks of the attacker’s and target’s areas. An
area is an obstacle if it contains any unit, or any 3D
terrain. You can attack out of an obstacle, or into an
obstacle, but never through one.

What's funny is it tells you to imagine a straight line, but it never actually finishes the thought by saying you check to see if the imaginary line goes through an obstacle area...but we all know that's what it means.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.